The Movie Critic: Tarantino's next (last?) film about Pauline Kael?

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Someone else pointed this out, but when you remember how the first word about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was that Tarantino was making "a Charles Manson movie", it'll be interesting to see how much of the final product will actually involve Kael.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I won't believe it until I hear it from his mouth. A couple of years ago, it was announced that his last movie was likely going to be a First Blood remake, and then later on an interview, he said he had no idea yet what he was going to do for a final film. So who knows?

Wasn't there rumors at one time of Tarantino doing a Star Trek movie?
I'd read quite a lot about that, then from the Star Trek side where it was announced that J. J. Abrams was supposedly coming back. And for a long time I'd heard that Tarantino was thinking about making a third "Bride" movie as a final installment of the Kill Bill films where the daughter of Vernita/"Copperhead" would come after The Bride for revenge for her mother. I guess that's totally out the window now, although I would have liked to have seen that.

I hope it's not his last movie

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It's not something I would see, but I recommend listening to the real Pauline Kael first. I never was interested in "professional" critics (if I must, I always go with the populist review.. IMDB, for example). Great interview here.

if its his last film, is he still going to direct kill bill 3?
I think you've answered your own question there!

Ya' know on one hand it's nice that he's writing and doing podcasts and all that. On the other hand, his varied interests make it all the more plausible he'll actually follow through and stop making films after this one, which would be pretty sad. I get the logic but I don't feel he's trending downwards, I think he's got at least a few more really good films in him, and very plausibly another masterpiece.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Ya' know on one hand it's nice that he's writing and doing podcasts and all that. On the other hand, his varied interests make it all the more plausible he'll actually follow through and stop making films after this one, which would be pretty sad. I get the logic but I don't feel he's trending downwards, I think he's got at least a few more really good films in him, and very plausibly another masterpiece.
What do consider his masterpiece(s)?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Tarantino is full of himself and he's not going to stop making films. It's just some hype and free publicity to get people excited to see his 'last film'.

Right, but it backfires sometimes. When Elton John announced his farewell tour, I never looked for a show again. Probably wouldn't have gone anyway, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

If he follows through on this next film being his last film ever, I would expect that he wouldn't make a Kill Bill Volume III. That would count as another movie, and since "The Movie Critic" is expected to be his next film, and there are no announced plans for him to make another film before that, I think the answer is likely, no.

As much as I've pretty much liked every single Tarantino movie, and think he's a rightful legend, I'm totally okay if he retires.

But his reasoning his dumb. Trying to be protective of 'his legacy' is pretty lame.

If you honestly believe you have nothing left in the tank, then sure, give it up. But if you are just cutting things short because you're worried maybe you'll also end up being one of those esteemed directors who had a couple of turkeys at the end of their career, you're being a ****ing child.

But Tarantino being a child is hardly newsworthy at this point.

As much as I've pretty much liked every single Tarantino movie, and think he's a rightful legend, I'm totally okay if he retires.

But his reasoning his dumb. Trying to be protective of 'his legacy' is pretty lame.

If you honestly believe you have nothing left in the tank, then sure, give it up. But if you are just cutting things short because you're worried maybe you'll also end up being one of those esteemed directors who had a couple of turkeys at the end of their career, you're being a ****ing child.

But Tarantino being a child is hardly newsworthy at this point.
For some people, a director who started out great but eventually went downhill can threaten their status as a great director. I've seen people argue this for M. Night Shyamalan, John Carpenter, Francis Ford Coppola, Ridley Scott, and John McTiernan (not to imply I'm one of those people though). If we can agree that there's nothing wrong with someone who wants to be widely regarded as a great director (I would assume that most directors have this ambition), then I don't see anything wrong with Tarantino's reasoning either. I'd say it's pretty respectable.