Taz Goes to the Cinema 2020

→ in
Tools    

Everything you've watched and reviewed in here has been at the theater, so I'm curious if you're able to watch older movies at home with AD. Is there a special version of the movies you have to buy or do some DVDs/Blu-Rays automatically come with AD?
It depends really. Netflix has an AD setting that can be applied, so if a film has an AD track there is a good chance that it will be there also. A majority (not all) of films and even the tv series that are featured on there can be accessed with AD. I assume other streaming services likewise have this, but I only have netflix as a subscription.

Older movies made long ago are far less likely to have an AD track that was made for them back when, so unless there is one that has been recorded in recent years for some of the bigger name classics (think Casablanca, It's a Wonderful Life, Wizard of Oz etc) then sadly no and just have to make do as best I can. The good thing about many of these older movies is that the story does hold up as they were nowhere near as reliant on special effects (and nowadays CGI), big explosions etc, so that definitely helps.

TBH, even with AD in some movies I do tune it out during fight scenes etc. You know James Bond (for example) is not going to be seriously endangered 20min into the movie etc, so it's more about keeping track of the McGuffin that they are fighting over. or the detonation button or timer etc, you know?

However, I wasn't always blind and have always been a big film fan, and even worked at a video store back in the day, and have a half decent memory for movies, memorable scenes etc, so am still able to enjoy many of these movies just by listening to the dialogue, soundscape, score and soundtrack which bring back memories of the scenes etc, and often once I have listened to a film with AD, more often than not am fine with just listening to the movie as is, but if the AD is there will obviously use it.

Ok, so it's been a few years before Covid killed this thread in it's tracks. I have been going to the cinema again now over the past few years and decided to resume this log from the beginning of 2023, and will be once again attempting to catch every film that is screened, with the exception of movies aimed at pre-schoolers, such as Peppa Pig type releases and non-English language films that don't have an AD option. If they have it, I will attempt it, but most of the Bollywood, Hindi or Tamil etc don't seem to have that option, and most re-releases don't seem to come with it either, but will sit through those as have previously experienced the movie/love it/know it well anyhow, such as James Bonds, LOTR, Godfathers etc...

However, this is a list of the films have caught at the cinema over the last couple of years after/between lockdowns, and when have not been thwarted by my own health or train strikes etc. A lot of these are first releases, but there have been some re-releases also, all of which were screened at the cinema that I frequent...

* - denotes rewatch during this theatrical run. This is due to either...

- AD equipment not working/faulty/partially failing so requiring 2nd sit through
- being with friends in which case having to sit through film already experienced
- simply for my own enjoyment
- and in one case, really needed to break it down as it was too much to take in through AD all at once

Black Judas
Kong v Godzilla
Nomadland
Frankie
Dream Horse
Nobody
Land
The Father
Cruella *
Hitmans Wife Bodyguard *
In the Heights
Fast & Furious 9
Supernova
Croods 2
Suicide Squad 2 *
Black Widow
Jungle Cruise
@Zola
Stillwater
The Courier *
Free Guy *
Censor
Reminiscence
Night House
People Just Do Nothing: Big in Japan
Our Ladies **
The Nest
Shang-Chi ***
Rise of the Footsoldier: Origins
Here Today
Annette
Respect
Copshop
12 Mighty Orphans
The Many Saints of Newark
A Clockwork Orange
LOTR: Fellowship
LOTR: Two Towers
The Ballad of Billy McRae
Herself
Sweetheart
Addams Family 2
No Time to Die
Ron Gone Wrong
The Last Duel
Dear Evan Hansen
French Dispatch
Dune **
Venom **
Harry Potter & Philosopher's Stone
Last Night in Soho **
Antliers
Eternals
The Card Counter
Spencer
Ghostbusters Afterlife
King Richard
House of Gucci *
C'mon C'mon
Encanto
Boxing Day
West Side Story *
Clifford
Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon Town

The Kings Man *
Electric Life of Louis Wain *
Spiderman: No Way Home **
Licorice Pizza
The 355
Scream
Belfast *
Nightmare Alley *
Journal for Jordan
Sing 2
Moonfall
Death on the Nile *
Dog
Marry Me
Uncharted *
Cyrano *
The Godfather
The Duke *
The Batman **
Phantom of the Open
Ambulance
The Godfather Part II
Sonic 2
Fantastic Beasts 3
Bad Guys
Lost City **
The Northman *
Operation Mincemeat *
Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (Nick Cage is Nick Cage) *
Morbius
Downton Abbey: New Era
Goldfinger
Father Stu
Firestarter
Everything Everywhere, All at Once *
Top Gun: Maverick ****
Dr Strange 2
Men
Bob's Burger's Movie
Jurassic World: Dominion
Lightyear
Black Phone
Good Luck to You, Leo Grande
Elvis ***
Thor: Love and Thunder *
Railway Children Return
A View to a Kill
Where the Crowdads Sing **
The Living Daylights
Licence to Kill
DC League of Superpets
Bullettrain *
Goldeneye
Nope **
The World is Not Enough
Fisherman Friends II: One For All
The Invitation
Beast
Mr Malcolm's List
LOTR: Fellowship
LOTR: Two Towers
LOTR: Return King
The Forgiven
Fall
3000 Years of Longing
Bodies, Bodies, Bodies **
Crimes of the Future
See How They Run *
Quantum of Solace
Clerks III *
Don't Worry Darling **
Skyfall
Spectre
Moonage Daydream
The Lost King *
The Woman King *
Vengeance
Smile
Mrs Harris Goes to Paris
Amsterdam *
Emily
The Lost Boys
Black Adam
The Banshees of Inisherinn *
Prayer to the Devil
Bros
Call Jane
Watcher
Black Panther Forever
Living
Lyle, Lyle Crocodile
Aftersun
Armageddon Time
Confess, Fletch
Bones and All
The Menu *
Glass Onion *
Matilda
She Said *
The Infernal Machine
Violent Night *
Summerly
Casablanca
The Silent Twins

And so, on with 2023...

Mon 9 Jan

Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance With Somebody

This was disappointing. In recent years there have been a series of these biopics about singers/musicians, such as Walk the Line (Johnny Cash), I Saw the Light (Hank Williams), Bohemian Rhapsody (Freddie Mercury), Rocketman (Elton John), Respect (Aretha Franklin) and Elvis (Elvis Presley) off the top of my head. Each of these have something notable/worthwhile in the telling. Even those that focus on a particular phase of one of these people's lives, such as Judy (Judy Garland) or Miles Ahead (Miles Davis). In comparison to all these, this Whitney Houston one really lacks, pretty much everything.

This film seeks to compartmentaiize WH life and career that is both a disservice but also undercuts their relevance. Wishing to learn about her life, I would strongly direct towards the 2018 documentary, Whitney, rather than this movie that barely scratches at the surface. The writing and direction are the two biggest problems here, but they are far from being the only flaws. The music (and admittedly I was never a great fan of her music, but can appreciate the talent she possessed none the less) is by far the strongest suite on display, but that didn't need a movie to showcase that. The writing especially is deserving of much criticism in that it lacks to show how all of the myriad of problems, such as her drug use, money disputes with her father, toxic marriage with Bobby Brown etc, which are all interweaved in her life are barely brushed upon and when each is touched on, it is in isolation, which misrepresents the truth of her tragic downturn.

Once again, I cannot more strongly recommend the 2018 documentary, Whitney, over this lightweight fabrication in comparison. Dud.

The Enforcer

A short brutal actioner telling of the redemption arc of lifelong enforcer, 'Cuda (Antonio Bandaras), and it plays out a bit like a surrogate version of Taken, set in this seedy side of Florida. The movie doesn't try to pretend it has layers of depth, it does what it says on the tin and doesn't outstay it's welcome, but it's nothing fantastic either. Even though the AD did not work didn't feel like I missed much in the way of subtle, but could maybe be tempted to revisit it if there was functioning AD as it was listed as having.

Pretty much goes through the motions of the first, only this time moved from the forrest to the water in the wake of human invasion. Am guessing there are no shortage of reviews of this of people that are far more in target for this movie, who can see and appreciate the visual aspects of the world building and CGI etc. The story,, like the first, is pretty simple and don't think it really needed a 3+ hr runtime to tell it.

Just as the original lwft me with the strongest impression of being a sci-fi version of a cross between James Stewart in Broken Arrow (1950) and Kevin Costner in Dances With Wolves (1990), so does this one feel like a teen take on moving to a new place, being the odd ones out and finding their place in this new setting, making new friends and proving themselves etc, which has been played out in countless kids and teen movies over the years. Simple enough really.

I never really felt immersed in this world, but I get it is a highly visual film so AD is always going to struggle to do it justice in that regards, but the long and the short of it is, it didn't do a great deal for me and while can at least say have sat through it, don't think I will be bothering with it again.

Wed, 11 Jan

A Man Called Otto

A story set in a local neighbourhood populated by the various characters - at the heart of which is Otto, the seemingly bitter grumpy old man who lives and insists upon very structured routines and life, but through the course of the movie, discover how he became to be like this, and that that exterior is someone with literally too big a heart. The catalyst being the arrival of a latino family across the street and it brings with that hope and change for Otto... the story is simple and nothing wrong with that, although am not familiar with the source material, or the original film adaptation before this American-ized one. Tom Hanks does Tom Hanks kind of things as the movie tries to play at the heartstrings, with varying degrees of success.

Empire of Light

This movie is in many ways a tribute to cinema itself, set in late 1980 & 1981 (based on the movies mentioned/referenced and screened at the Empire cinema, such as Being There, Stir Crazy, Chariots of Fire etc), and centres on the lives of the staff of the Empire Cinema, with Olivia Coleman's Hillary at the heart of it. Her character is the cinema's duty manager, who is prone to some pretty wild mood swings and depression and when we meet her is having a somewhat reluctant affair with her boss (Colin Firth), but soon becomes infatuated and then involved with a new employee, a significantly younger vlack man in his early 20's, Stephen (Michael Ward, who was terrific in Blue Story). The period it is set is relevant for the rise of the NF and the more overt racism in Thatcher's Britain, which is one of the threads of the broarder story.

The performances are the strongest suite on display here and there are some genuine moments where the love of movies and of cinema does really shine through, reminiscent of other movies such as Cinema Paradiso or The Majestic, but as a whole this movie comes across a bit underwhelming with a few memorable moments about the love of cinema that the projectionist (Toby Jones) shares with Stephen and by the film's end, with Hilary also discovering that magic.

Till

There are some films that truly make me greatful that I am not an American, that I don't live there and give reason why would never want to live there and feel sorry for many that do. Till is yet another movie that brings that all and more, with recounting the true story of a 14yo teen from Chicago who is abducted, brutally tortured and murdered on a visit to Mississippi in 1955, and his mother's quest in vain for justice and the burgeoning civil rights movement. It's powerful stuff and at the heart of this is a top notch performance by Danielle Deadwyler as Mamie Till. There are some really powerful gut punch moments that will stay with for a very long time, and to think that was for real - displaying the bruised, battered and tortured remains, for instance. That in itself is worthy of people to check the movie out, and the story resonates and continues to be relevant nearly 70years after the events happened really does speak for itself.

Mon 16 Jan

M3GAN

This was pretty damn good for what it is. Think a cross between BayMax from Big Hero 6 and The Terminator. Would recommend it for what it is and has a worthwhile point about technology's place in nurture v nature. Works as a sci-fi horror (although thought it was more sci-fi thriller than pure horror), works as commentary and as a human level and doesn't overstay it's welcome. Would sit through it again, no problems.

TAR

There is one reason to sit through this movie - Cate Blanchett. Once again turns in a terrific performance that is, in parts, reminiscent of Carol, and although the story utilizes the world of orcehestra it is obvious the wider application of the likes of a #metoo story with the fictional character of Lydia Tar as she uses her position of power and privelege, in a toxic, domineering and manipulative way, with all too many familiar parellels with other real life instances. So the story is kind of there and been done a few times over now, but the exploration of Lydia's character by Blanchett that makes it worth the while.

Babylon

Wow! What a movie! This was fan-bloody-tastic! I know it's 2023 but it was made last year and as far as I'm concerned easily in the top 3 of the year and will need to sit through it again to definitively decide where it belongs! It really is that good.

All of the anarchism of the silent and pre-code roaring 20's era is on full throttle display contrasting with the coming to grips with the 'talkies' era and the imposed morality of the early 30's and the vaneer of respectability still beats the heart of the hedonism and nihilism of the age to it's death rattle.

Thare more than a few unforgettable scenes that have already been burned into my memory on a single sit-through, the acting is terrific, with special mentions for Diego Calva, who is top, top notch as Manny, Margot Robbie's iconic and quintessential flapper, Nellie is cranked up to an 11 is an absolute force of nature, Brad Pitt has some of the best and memorable scenes that he has done in years - and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I get that some people are kind of over how in love with itself Hollywood is, and I gotta say have felt that way in the past, not least of all by Damien Chazelle's previous film, La La Land (which by and large, with the exception of a few scenes and songs I was really underwhelmed by), but with this he has knocked this one right out of the park.

What more can I say - I already know this is a movie I will be sitting through many more times over the years to come. I'm seriously that blown away by this. I tend not to give ratings but this is a total 10/10 for mine, no question.

The Fabelmans

As posted in the dedicated thread about this film... Was solid, although undoubtedly self-indulgent on Spielberg's part - tbh although it may be one of, if not, the most personal of his movies (even his pre-amble before the film admited this), it's well down the pecking order of his filmography for mine.

Some good performances mixed in with some that felt a bit off, incl Michelle Williams. Paul Dano handled the complexity of his character well, and the David Lynch cameo as John Ford at the end was a great point to end the movie on (just about), left me with a smile on my way out of the theatre.

Unwelcome

A couple, previously traumatized by life in the city move to rural Ireland to a proerty set on the edge of a forrest, populated by 'red-caps', a malovent faire/goblin/little people, based on the mythological faire de dunann. After the home that they've inherited is a bit of a 'fixer-upper', soon conflict with the Whelans - a family of 'labourers' initially hired to carry out the repairs, which soon turns sour and incur the wrath of the mystical murderous 'little people' in the forrest. I have no idea of the physical or cgi (sorry, blind after all, lol), o rif this is supernatural horror, and not entirely sure what the director was going for here, as it is a bit all over the place and ends up coming across all a bit muddled as a result but it plays out a bit like a cross between Pan's Labrynth and Straw Dogs.

Plane

This is fine for what it is. I'm actually a little surprised that it had a big screen release, as it feels a bit more like a Netflix movie but that's ok. It's what you expect from Gerard Butler by now. Interesting, if pretty straight forward premise, moves along at a pretty good rate of knots (I'll get my coat, lol), and doesn't overstay it's welcome... but not sure I'll feel the need to sit through it again any time soon, purely because at the end of the day I know I'm not really it's target audience.

Babylon

This is now the 3rd time have sat through this, and every time there is something more have taken away from it. I get there are haters out there and I get that it was snubbed in terms of Oscar noms also, but I'm going to keep defending this movie for the gem that it is. And ofc the establishment was going to snub this, as for as much as it is a love letter to movies, its equally pure hatemail to the Hollywood machine. It's messy, its hedonistic, anachistic, and at times a little preachy and the restrictive reforms that closed the door on that era, while serving as a eulogy for that. I can't get tired of this film and it's nothing to do with the titilation of excess in whatever form that takes, be it sex, drugs, danger, whatever... it's just great cinema.

Knock at the Cabin

This was underwhelming and disappointing to say the least - although by now I suppose it should have been half expected. Once again M Night Shyamalan has a potentially interesting concept on his hands, and yet once again finds a way to make a horror/thriller both lacking in horror or thrills.

I don't mind ambigious endings either, but this one was especially unsatisfying - and anti-climactic. In it's credit is it has a potentially interesting premise, a good/creepy opening scene that is right on the line and then... pfft. I don't know the source material but purely based on this I won't be in any rush to either.

There are a myriad of issues here. There are too many threads left unresolved, the motivation for the '4 visitor' characters is sketchy to say the least, the blend of the biblical lacks punch and the conclusion is just daft. The whole thing is never really either that horrific or psychological - it's just... pfft. My companion today, admittedly not as much of a movie fan as I am, said she felt the entire thing had been such a waste of time and had almost entirely forgotten the entire movie by the time she had finished visiting the washroom after the credits, and while I was still musing over it for a while longer and taken a few hours since getting home, generally speaking I kind of have to agree.

Babylon

Wow! What a movie! This was fan-bloody-tastic! I know it's 2023 but it was made last year and as far as I'm concerned easily in the top 3 of the year and will need to sit through it again to definitively decide where it belongs! It really is that good.

All of the anarchism of the silent and pre-code roaring 20's era is on full throttle display contrasting with the coming to grips with the 'talkies' era and the imposed morality of the early 30's and the vaneer of respectability still beats the heart of the hedonism and nihilism of the age to it's death rattle.

Thare more than a few unforgettable scenes that have already been burned into my memory on a single sit-through, the acting is terrific, with special mentions for Diego Calva, who is top, top notch as Manny, Margot Robbie's iconic and quintessential flapper, Nellie is cranked up to an 11 is an absolute force of nature, Brad Pitt has some of the best and memorable scenes that he has done in years - and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I get that some people are kind of over how in love with itself Hollywood is, and I gotta say have felt that way in the past, not least of all by Damien Chazelle's previous film, La La Land (which by and large, with the exception of a few scenes and songs I was really underwhelmed by), but with this he has knocked this one right out of the park.

What more can I say - I already know this is a movie I will be sitting through many more times over the years to come. I'm seriously that blown away by this. I tend not to give ratings but this is a total 10/10 for mine, no question.
I've been really excited about seeing this movie and your review hamped my excitement even more.

Mon 16 Jan

TAR

There is one reason to sit through this movie - Cate Blanchett. Once again turns in a terrific performance that is, in parts, reminiscent of Carol, and although the story utilizes the world of orcehestra it is obvious the wider application of the likes of a #metoo story with the fictional character of Lydia Tar as she uses her position of power and privelege, in a toxic, domineering and manipulative way, with all too many familiar parellels with other real life instances. So the story is kind of there and been done a few times over now, but the exploration of Lydia's character by Blanchett that makes it worth the while.
I agree with everything you've said about this movie.

Wed, 11 Jan

Till

There are some films that truly make me greatful that I am not an American, that I don't live there and give reason why would never want to live there and feel sorry for many that do. Till is yet another movie that brings that all and more, with recounting the true story of a 14yo teen from Chicago who is abducted, brutally tortured and murdered on a visit to Mississippi in 1955, and his mother's quest in vain for justice and the burgeoning civil rights movement. It's powerful stuff and at the heart of this is a top notch performance by Danielle Deadwyler as Mamie Till. There are some really powerful gut punch moments that will stay with for a very long time, and to think that was for real - displaying the bruised, battered and tortured remains, for instance. That in itself is worthy of people to check the movie out, and the story resonates and continues to be relevant nearly 70years after the events happened really does speak for itself.
I loved this movie...I think it was robbed of a Best Picture nomination, it's better than at least five of the films that have been nominated and Danielle Deadwyler was definitely robbed of a Best Actress nomination.

Puss in Boots: Last Wish

This was fun and enjoyed it far more than I remember the first spinoff from the Shrek-verse. Good family friendly fare, as Puss, is on the last of his 9 lives, and the hero once fearless in the face of death is faced suddenly with the reality of his own mortality, the mistakes of the past and looking to reclaim those, as much about living his best life is not just about himself, but to take the chance once in a while to metaphorically (and literally) smell the flowers, so to speak. With terrific voice cast work from the likes of Antonio Banderas, Selma Hayek, John Mulaney, Florence Pugh, Ray Winstone & Olivia Coleman to name but a few. Also, no idea who was the voice of the consciounce bug doing the Jimmy Stewart impersonation throughout, but that was fun.

The Whale

Seems to be a relativelt low budget affair from director Darren Aronofsky, who'se penchant for getting some memorable performances from actors is well earned and does so again here with Brendan Fraser in particular, as he did with Mickey Rourke in the Wrestler or Natalie Portman in Black Swan, to name but two previous examples. Fraser here is deserving of note in the role of the housebound Charlie, who seems content with the reality of his morbid obesity is going to kill him soon and really is only seeking to make peace with his daughter before he will pass on. It's a affecting performance at the heart of this movie and there were some aspects that genuinely resonated, although wasn't ever quite moved to tears the way it did on several people admitted to as the credits rolled in the screening i was at. Was undeniably good though.

Also did yet another sit through of Babylon. Must be at least 4 times now, and I just can't get enough of that movie. Love, love, love it.

Sat 11 Feb

Titanic

This 25th anniversary has been retrofitted with 3D - as I'm blind I have no idea about how well this has been done (nor do I care), but the people I was with said they barely noticed it at all - so take from that what you will. I did watch this when it was fiirst released in its original theatrical run all those years ago, and sat through it again in 2012, when it was re-released to mark the centenary of the disaster (by which time my sight was pretty much gone), and to their credit they've taken the time to add a much improved AD track to accompany this new release than the one that was used from what I remember of it 11 years ago. Apart from that there is no added or extended scenes or anything, so if that's what you were hoping for, don't bother.

As for the film itself, I'm sure it's one that most everyone will have seen before, but it's one I've always had issues with. Kate & Leo do their tourguide thing (literally) from bow to stern, 1st class to 3rd, in the first half of the movie, showcasing the set design, costuming etc, but it's the second half with the sinking that actually makes the impression, with all it's technical aspects in full flow. However, the written story/screenplay is both insulting and disrespectful, especially when the real story is already chock full of human drama and tragedy.

Like the character of Brock, for 3 years he was all about Titanic and yet never really understood - and it makes me question whether Cameron is any different, that Brock is Cameron's avatar so to speak - that while Brock was after treasure, Cameron was after a movie, but on a human level neither really gets 'it'.

Mon 13 Feb

Epic Tails

Animated film about a mouse named Patty, and her friends, who team up with an aged Jason and skeletal crew of Argonauts to complete a quest to appease the Greek god, Poseidon. There are a few things thrown in for adult audiences (couple of 'Godfather'-esque references for example), but it is primarily for the kids. The couple of songs are all pretty much instantly forgettable, but overall it is fine for what it is and doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Blue Jean

Set in late 80's Thatcherite England (Newcastle to be specific), Jean is a PE teacher at a school hiding in plain sight her sexuality, as same-sex issues and people are increasingly coming under attack by the government. Jean is in a relationship with Viv, who by contrast, is very comfortable with who she is, but because of Jean's work etc it does keep her on edge, and afraid of her secret being uncovered. Through the course of the movie, she has to balance that with identifying one student in particular who has similiar leanings and as Jean comes to terms with her own self and how to give the right kind guidance, which is far from smooth sailing.

I'm not familar with any of the cast but they were all good, most noteably Rosy McEwan who was really very impressive as Jean, while both the writing and direction (especially the writing) by Georgia Oakley made for a great debut and one to look out for in the future.

Also couldn't help but sit through Babylon for like the 5th or 6th time in less than a month and still am blown away by it. After so many years of being blind, have come to accept the reality and with so many films it's fine and it doesn't bother me that I can't see them to truly appreciate them, but this is one such film that I really truly wish I could and as much s I love it, makes me sad that experience is one I'll never get to have.

Mon 20 Feb

Marcel the Shell With Shoes On

Msrcel is a shell who lives with his grandmother in a house after his friends and family are all displaced. The house has since been frequented by AirB&B guests - the latest of which, Dean, is an amateur film maker, who discovers Marcel and makes his tale the focus of a film which leads to Marcel becoming an internet sensation, and ultimately on a journey to rediscover his displaced community. I have no idea how Marcel looks, or how the animation blends with the real life and interactions with Dean etc, but it is a charming little movie, and is genuinely heartwarming.

Magic Mike Last Dance

I get that I am clearly not the target demographic for this, nor did I ever sit through the original but Steven Soderbergh's latest is, well, it is what it is. I mean, how many ways can a movie about a male stripper come choreographer go? It requires a fair bit of suspension of disbelief, but then again that is literally what anyone in the sex industry, from stripper/dancer to prostitute to porn is not in the business of reality, rather selling the fantasy, so to speak. It's not Full Monty, nor is it Noises Off, Moulin Rouge, Soapdish or any other number of shows showing the creation of a show, but am sure there are more than enough in the target demographic that will want to check it out anyhow, but there wasn't a great deal I took from it and won't be bothering again.

Women Talking

This was a really well written film and well worth checking out. I believe it's at least partly inspired by real events although it's never made chear where exactly this community is set (although the southern cross is visible in the night sky, so... :/ ), about a Amish/Mennonite type religious community. The women and even young girls have been subject to ongoing abuses, druggings, rapes and gaslighting that have been going on for years. When one of the perpetrators is caught he and others responsible are taken away, The remaining men leave to go pay their bail, leaving the women of the community 2 days, left with an ultimatum- do nothing and forgive or leave. Straight from the outset a third option is brough up - stay and fight and ther crux of the tale is the process of deciding what to do.

The film features a terrific cast in full flow, including Claire Foy, Rooney Mara, Ben Wishaw and Frances McDormand to name but a few. It feels like this was originally intended as a stageplay (I don't know if it was or not), but it is done so well that even with that amazing cast, it's the writing that stands out here. Indeed of the Oscar nominees for Adapted Screenplay (and have sat through each ot the others also), this is by far the one I hope takes home the gold.

Antman and the Wasp: Quantumania

Well that was a wole lot of meh. A increasingly feeling done with the whole MCU and this entry only further entrenched that apathy. Formulaic plot and writing that is lacking in just about everything, and never really felt there was any ever real peril. Going down the rabbithole of multiverse has just made a rod for their own back and generally speaking to introduce the next coming 'big-bad', it just lacks. The cast is wasted, the entire Wasp character is seriously underutilized considering shares the movie title, Its just a mess and it's hard to want to be invested in any of it. Just meh.

Cocaine Bear

Horror/Comedy/'Based on true story', was pretty cool for what it was. Felt like an intentional throwback to 80's B type movies, and clocking in about the 90min mark was exactly what it needed to be. Some funny moments interspersed with some that I am genuinely grateful that I'm blind, that I literally couldn't see, as some of the descriptions of the maulings are pretty gory to say the least. On a sadder note, I think this was Ray Liotta's last movie.

What's Love Got to Do With It

Romcom about literally next door neighbours who at times even with the closeness might as well be a 1000 miles away, between Zoe (Lily James) and 'Kaz' (Shazad Latif) and their respective cultural backgrounds. Kaz decides to agree to a arranged marraige which his parents end up matching him with a girl in Lahore. Zoe for her part, is a documentary film maker, who chooses to make looking into the concept of arranged marrages in modern Britain the theme as she records Kaz's steps towards and through the initial part of his marriage, while at the same time Zoe has her own issues with being able to have healthy relationships.

Nothing wrong with this being predictable, some little chuckles along the way and more than a few nods to older classic romcoms, including some of producer Tim Bevan's (Four Weddings and a Funeral, Love Actually, Notting Hill etc) "Love Contractually" and some nice nods to 'When Harry Met Sally" with the interviews interspersed through the movie of couples discussing their marriages and how they worked out etc, so the predictability doesnt hurt it. It's an ok way to spend an hour and a half or so without being anything really special, but for a romcom it's pretty much what you'd expect.

Champions

So, this has been done so many times before, and no doubt will be done again. A rag-tag sports team (basketball in this case) get a experienced, but flawed, new coach and evolves arond that, with flitters into a side of love story, because... :/ The only difference between this and others is that the team is teens with special needs. It's entirely predictable, tired and and sadly nothing special. Even the so-called comedic moments hardly raised a chuckle at the screening I was at. And sae for the one night hookup that of course is te sister of one of the players and evolved into more. A tired rehash and a far cry from tha absurd that the Farrelly's used to do - and not necessarily for the better.

Creed III

I did sit through Creed II when it was at the movies also, but don't remember a great deal, so when this came along I wouldn#t say was left scratching my head, it's just... it is what it is. Boxing as a sport holds no interest, the drama and storyline is unsurprisingly predictable but did like the deaf daughter aspect, added a different dimension and offered character developent opportunities for this and clearly will be more in that direction going forward. Despite the flaws in story, the direction and acting is solid enough and for those interested in boxing or invested in the Rocky franchise (apart from the original Rocky movie that i revisted when was doing all the Oscar best picture winners, but as for rest, i've not sat through any of those since the late 80's will get more out of it than I did.

It's fine. TBH, considering the continued interest in Jurassic Park/World movies, it's actually a surprise there hasn't been more dino flicks over the years. Adam Driver and a little girl are the sole survivors of a crash, landing in prehistoric eart, 65 million years ago, and have to journey across to find the way to escape. A short runtime means it can't really afford a lot of fannying about and for that I was grateful. Again, I know I'm not the target audience and no doubt others can coent on the CGI etc, but for me I was fine with what it is without feeling like I needed something more. Maybe, like Cocaine Bear, these trends in 80's-esque B movies are the shape of things to come?

It's been about 6 weeks since my previous visit to the cinema, so today and this coming Monday are a bit of catch up trips, but for today...

Renfield

Ok, bit of a fun take on the whole Dracula legend from the 'familiar's perspective, although doubt Bram Stoker ever quite envisaged this, lol. Centres on the frustration of the 'familiar's submissive/toxic/abusive relationship to the vampire also used for comic effect in Taika Waititi's 'What We Do In the Shadows', but supercharged to action/horrific excessive purpose.

Air

This really felt like it is/was intended as a streaming movie that somehow made its way to the cinemas. Another Ben Affleck/Matt Damon outing, this time about how Nike took such a stranglehold on the market with the development of the AirJordan shoe/Michael Jordan deal in the mid-80s. Not really sure this was material begging to be turned into a movie, but considering the cast and crew credentials obviously a lot of people do, lol. It's fine, not sure will be rushing back to sit through it again though.

Polite Society

Can't say I was too impressed with this. It is a bit of a one-joke comedy, and I guess it all depends on if you're able to suspend disbelief enough to buy into the premise of a delusional teen with an overactive imagination who thinks she has to save her sister from marrying. Let's just say I am of those that couldn't do that, but for those that can may get more out if this. Personally, I barely got 1 laugh out of it and was one of those movies almost felt dumber at the end of it than i had going in.

Big George Foreman

Decent biopic of a boxer who has more than a little of real life being stranger than fiction about it - probably could've made a whole catalogue of Rocky-esque movies of his own, lol.

Missing

A very similiar feel to this film from their previous effort, Searching, and therefore obviously is going to draw comparisons because of the virtually identical concept. While there were a few twists and turns along the way, on balance would give the edge to Searching as ultimately didn't pick that one compared with this, but still a fun enough ride.

SW: Return of the Jedi

What else needs to be said? 40th anniversary, but it's a shame it wasn't the original, rather than one of the various re-released tinkered versions. Accorsing to the staff at the cinema I most regularly frequent, they've been selling out sessions of this all weekend, which is according to those same staff, by far the most popular movie they've had on in months.