The Righteous Gemstones

Tools    

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...stones-1148617

"HBO has given a series order to The Righteous Gemstones, a comedy from Danny McBride about a televangelist and his family.

The series will tell the story of a world-famous televangelist family with a history of deviance, greed and, yes, charitable work, all in the name of Jesus. It's the third series McBride has done for HBO, following Eastbound and Down and Vice Principals.

John Goodman will star as Gemstone family patriarch Eli, who has built a global following via his ministry and weekly TV show. Though he's no longer the force he once was, he still expects unquestioned loyalty. Goodman also stars in The Conners, the Roseanne spinoff premiering Oct. 16 on ABC.

McBride plays Jesse, Eli's oldest son and presumed heir to his father's throne. He wants to take what his father built and expand it for a more modern audience.

The Righteous Gemstones also stars Edi Patterson (Vice Principals) and Adam Devine (Workaholics) Judy and Kelvin,Eli's other children; Cassidy Freeman (Longmire) as Amber, Jesse's wife, who gave up a journalism career to devote herself to the church and her husband; Tony Cavalero (School of Rock) as Keefe Chambers, an ex-Satanist who was saved by Kelvin; Tim Baltz (Bajillion Dollar Properties) as BJ, Judy's fiance; and GregAlan Williams (Greenleaf) as Martin Imari, Eli's trusted counsel.

McBride created the series and will executive produce with his Rough House Pictures partners Jody Hill and David Gordon Green. All three will also direct episodes."

Big fan of Danny McBride & I really wanted to like this.

The production values are high, the cast is great, ditto the acting, but not really my cuppa tea.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
The production values for this type of show seem crazy. Danny McBride must have a lot of juice with HBO. Hell, the amount of time hair and makeup must spend on his wig, would break most budgets.

I watched the first episode of the first season last night, and I was surprised at how subpar it was. Both the writing and the acting (except for Goodman) were poor and pretentious-- even for a black comedy. I bailed after 20 minutes.

I've read that each successive season gets better, but does the first season get better?

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
“Tired of life in the lap of luxury, Baby Billy pursues a new vocation as a gameshow host…”