What Are You Reading Right Now?

Tools    

The manual from my latest video game purchase.(The Godfather: Don's Edtion)

I had to buy a book at the airport as I forgot to pack one. I was about to buy a Patricia Cornwell, when another cover caught my eye. The colour was very appealing to me, but mostly, the title was something I said to someone recently. Bought it purely based on that.

Opened it, and it's written in the first person. I'm not a fan of those, usually.

I still have the feeling this will deliver.

Stalin: Volume I: Paradoxes of Power, 1878–1928

It's pretty fascinating, should have probably read one focusing on Lenin or the Revolution first though. Both are obviously focused on just not quite as much as i'd like as Stalin wasn't involved with every facet of the revolution like Lenin or Trotsky.

Fight Club (Chuck Palahnuik; 1996)

9 chapters in and am liking it so far. Probably gonna see the film again when I finish it to see how they compare

I had to buy a book at the airport as I forgot to pack one. I was about to buy a Patricia Cornwell, when another cover caught my eye. The colour was very appealing to me, but mostly, the title was something I said to someone recently. Bought it purely based on that.

Opened it, and it's written in the first person. I'm not a fan of those, usually.

Ok. So who is the mystery author? ( As long as it's not James Frey )

Tank/Freeter, I tank so you don't have to.
Looking Backward.

Fight Club (Chuck Palahnuik; 1996)

9 chapters in and am liking it so far. Probably gonna see the film again when I finish it to see how they compare
He's one of my favs, I think he's awesome. My first was "Survivor".

Ok. So who is the mystery author? ( As long as it's not James Frey )

Not since Ray Bradbury has there been an author that wrote in that poetic prose style.
James Lee Burke is some one that can make you smell, touch and hear nearly every thing he describes. He is the virtual reality of novel writers.

On the third book in the series so far and it's pretty solid. Basically the premise is an alternative near-future where knowledge is taken to be the source of all power and therefor books are considered more important that a human life. There's an Orwellian international organization known as The Great Library which has unilaterally banned the private ownership of original books worldwide and instead hands out "Codexes" which can be used to access Library-approved information. Main character is born into a book smuggling trade and eventually joins the Library undercover only to discover it's greatest sin is seizing any and all information that could have lead to the invention of the Printing Press and murdering anyone who threatens to undermine it's power.

Surprisingly progressive book, one of the main characters is Muslim, another two are gay, and another is a butch girl with military training. The romance is a pretty crap, but otherwise I've by and large liked the characters and the book isn't afraid to jeopardize their lives at a moment's notice. Much better than the usual drek I try to get into.

The Hot Zone
Richard Preston

Man, this is probably the most horrifying thing i've ever read but it's also incredible. Earlier this year i got interested in the History of HIV, i didn't read any books on it (did buy And The Band Plays On though) but i did read a bunch of articles and essays and watched a documentary. Well this is about something similar but much much worse: The Biosafety Level 4 Agents. A group of related viruses the best known of which is Ebola, although there's more than one kind of Ebola the one we call by that name is the most deadly one officially called Ebola-Zaire (Zaire being where it originated or at least where the first detected outbreak was) and the less deadly but still incredibly lethal Ebola-Sudan now often referred to as the Sudan Virus which was the Virus at the cause of the first known Ebola outbreak in Sudan. Compared to these AIDS is a goshdarn sneeze, they are much more contaegeous (with them being airborne in some cases of course), they kill you much faster and more violently and the survival rate is much lower. They are also unpredictable to a terrifying degree and everything they've thought to be the case so far has later proven to not always be the case. This was written in 1995 so it doesn't include the most recent outbreak and historically i don't do well with diseases so i deliberately avoided reading anything about it while that epidemic was going on and since meaning i'm no doubt missing a lot of recently gained information, and i've not even finished this but still it's very informative and well written.

One of the best things about it is how he presents the characters/real people, he managed to get me to care about them making their demises/near calls/whatever with these viruses so much worse. One in particular had me close to tears about a young african nurse who had been accepted to a university in america and had big dreams of becoming an important doctor who of course contracted and died from it and that had a sort of not happy but something at least twist because she did end up important to medicine, her blood was the main sample the primary virus research lab in america used for a long time in its studies of Ebola. The human stories aren't the only devastating parts there's also the animals, ones who were caught and tested to see if they carried the viruses in the suspected place of origin as well as the monkeys they intentionally infected to see if they could cure them with various drugs. Anyway, yeah this is amazing. I'm not even finished yet, the thing i'm most interested in is the origins and while i know we still don't know for sure where they come from and what carries it (although it's largely thought to be Fruit Bats) reading the theories and the efforts scientists and doctors go to in an attempt to figure these things out is so good.

He goes into horrifying detail about the effects of these viruses it's probably the toughest thing i've ever read, barely made it past the first chapter with the description of the death of the French man in Kenya who contracted Marburg. I'm glad i pressed on though as he doesn't repeat it every time, he only goes into effects again if there's new symptoms particularly when he moves on to one of the different viruses. The book is downright terrifying, i've never found any horror books scary but this more than does it for me. Think the most terrifying thing i've ever read in a book is the end of the Zaire Epidemic. By the end everything has been destroyed, a bunch of uninfected people are quarantined with both infected people and infected corpses in a building caked with tainted blood. The scariest thing is that it just stops though and it's described as quietly descending back into the jungle to wait for another opportunity to infect a new host. A big part of the reason why i've got so interested in these viruses is because of how amazing and beautiful i find Africa. For example two people infected with Marburg years aparts stories are told and it's thought that they both got it from a place called Kitum Cave on Mount Elgon because that's the only place both of them definitely were. After reading that i watched a bunch of videos and looked at pictures of both the mountain and the cave and it's such an amazing place. Would love to go there, except i wouldn't because i'd maybe inhale powdered bat sh*t and end up bleeding out my eyes. Just shows you how cruel and sometimes ironic nature is haha.