The 2022 MoFo Film Awards - Nominations

Tools    

Red Rocket was in many festivals in 2021, but was widely released in theatres in 2022.

What about M3gan, which is 2022 on IMDb, but mostly released in theatres in 2023?
I'll add Red Rocket.

I wouldn't personally consider M3gan eligible though, since its wide release wasn't until this year. If enough people disagree with me on this, we can include it as a 2022 film, but in doing so disqualify it from next year's awards. It's up to you guys.

Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Official Competition, and Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, a Journey, a Song all made festival debuts in 2021.

The Tragedy of Macbeth and Drive My Car got very limited releases late in 2021, but not sure we'd want to count those.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'll be following this thread, but I don't think I've seen any movies from 2022 yet. (I don't even think I've seen more than 10 movies from 2021 yet either. )

I'll try to watch some, but I haven't really kept up with new movies, so I don't even know where to start.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This thread is already better organized than anything I've done. It is in good hands!!!

Suspect's Reviews

I'll add Red Rocket.
Sorry, it turns out release dates going by IMDb are:
United States- December 24, 2021
France- February 2, 2022
Italy- March 3, 2022
United Kingdom- March 11, 2022
Germany- April 14, 2022

So I don't know, maybe it should count as 2021 movie since it was released in US on December 24, 2021.

I'll try to watch some, but I haven't really kept up with new movies, so I don't even know where to start.
Open recommendations thread like you did for 2010s Countdown. Specify what kind of movies you would like to see and I'm sure there will be plenty of people who want to recommend.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Open recommendations thread like you did for 2010s Countdown. Specify what kind of movies you would like to see and I'm sure there will be plenty of people who want to recommend.

That's a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm going to look through IMDB and Wikipedia first to get an idea of what movies were released in 2022, and then I'll probably make a recommendations thread in a day or two.

I forgot the opening line.
This makes me pretty glad that I got out and saw plenty (comparatively) of movies last year!

Many thanks @CosmicRunaway

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Official Competition, and Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, a Journey, a Song all made festival debuts in 2021.
I'll add all these.

The Tragedy of Macbeth and Drive My Car got very limited releases late in 2021, but not sure we'd want to count those.
Since Macbeth only had a limited theatrical run in late December, I'll consider its January 14th Apple TV+ release to be the date of its wide release. Wikipedia is telling me that Drive My Car on the other hand had a UK release mid-November, and went to the US later that month, so I'm inclined to exclude it.

So I don't know, maybe [Red Rocket] should count as 2021 movie since it was released in US on December 24, 2021.
Ah, I only noticed the UK release when I checked yesterday. Thanks for doing the research! Given the additional information provided by Suspect, I don't think it would technically count, but we can certainly include it if we want. I'll leave it on the list for now, but it's open for debate.

Edit: I just made a separate post about Red Rocket, but you guys can comment here as well if you'd like.

This thread is already better organized than anything I've done. It is in good hands!!!
Thank you, that means a lot!

If anyone would like to privately disagree to Red Rocket's inclusion, leave me a post comment here. I will assume anyone who doesn't comment is okay with it being eligible.

I just fixed a mistake in the form I had added to the second post. There were some extra numbers without a header. Luckily there weren't any missing categories, so anyone who already copied it shouldn't be missing anything.

So it sounds like The Pale Blue Eye would be a better fit for 2023? January 6th Netflix release after a limited debut on December 23rd.

My Best Friend Anne Frank was released only in the Netherlands in 2021 and on Netflix in 2022.

So it sounds like The Pale Blue Eye would be a better fit for 2023? January 6th Netflix release after a limited debut on December 23rd.
That's how I'm leaning. I wonder if we've been seeing situations like this more and more lately since streaming-only titles aren't eligible for many of the more "prestigious" awards. Studios throw titles into a handful of cinemas just to say they had a theatrical showing.

Which reminds me, if anyone was wondering, films that were only released on a streaming service are 100% eligible for our film awards.

My Best Friend Anne Frank was released only in the Netherlands in 2021 and on Netflix in 2022.
I'll add that one to the list.

GBG's thread has made me realize that I currently only have three 2022 films on my watchlist, all of which I added last night, haha.

Resurrection, See How They Run, and The Stranger is what I have so far. I know there are some major releases I haven't seen yet, but I'm more interested in films that people think were criminally underseen, if anyone has any suggestions.

I'm more interested in films that people think were criminally underseen, if anyone has any suggestions.
These all deserve to be in the mix:

The Beasts
Tar
The Quiet Girl
Happening
Playground
Parallel Mothers
Bergman Island
Vortex
The Ballad of a White Cow
Decision to Leave
The Souvenir Pt 2
A Chiara
Farha
Hit the Road
Ali and Ava
Mass
The Innocents
Triangle of Sadness
Fire of Love
A Hero
Luzzu
The Velvet Queen
Causeway
Alcarras
Broker
Hive
In Front of Your Face
Speak No Evil
God's Creatures
Prayers for the Stolen
The Lost Daughter
Olga
Aloners
Earwig
Pleasure
Funny Pages
Brian and Charles

These all deserve to be in the mix:
At a glance, I'm only familiar with a couple of those titles, so that's definitely the sort of list I'm looking for. Will start going through them later to see which ones seem like something I'd like. Thanks!

I would normally participate but really haven't seen enough movies this year to make a reasonable contribution. I will watch or recommendations, though.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I would normally participate but really haven't seen enough movies this year to make a reasonable contribution.
No worries! But honestly, no contribution is too small if you want to submit a partial ballot. If you only saw 2 films you liked this past year, you can nominate them in all appropriate categories, and leave the others blank. Some of my own ballots from previous years have been scarily sparse haha.