The Florida Project

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
I am so mad at how limited this release is. It apararantly came out this week, but I still can't find any screenings near me or any information on when I will be able to. I hate watching movies online because it's bad and I rarely do it, but if it won't open near me, I won't have a chance to support it.

Anyway, when I first saw the trailer I thought it looked charming and dramatic, just how I like a lot of my movies. Can't wait to see.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I just randomly stumbled across this, I hadn't heard anything about. It definitely peaked my interest being a never out of the yard or down the street kid. Seeing these 5-7 year olds(?) wander around is like everything I ever dreamed of with my face pressed into a chain link fence. Throw on top that apparently there is a fantasy aspect (I may have read that wrong) and it sounds like a gem.

"I'm working with the Green Goblin!"

A system of cells interlinked
Watched this again yesterday. I love how this film perfectly captures the perspective of the children, with some really affecting emotional moments, as well. This film has an excellent chance of making my best of the decade list, when ever we end up doing that countdown...

I should revisit this film soon as it's one of my favorites of the decade as well. It effortlessly captures the joy and enthusiasm of being a child, all the while never shying away from showing what the world around them is actually like. Also, in spite of the backlash the ending received, I think it works great.

One of my favourites of the decade too. Great neo realism from non actors and that lovely pink colour pallette. Great film.
Yea, the lack of acting skill only rears its head a couple of times, and didn't detract too much from the film for me:

WARNING: "The Florida Project" spoilers below
The worst example was the discussion between Ashley and Hayley when Hayley attempts to apologize, only to end up kicking Ashley's ass instead. Some of the lines didn't come off as well as they could have.

A good review, but...

WARNING: "The Florida Project" spoilers below
Drugs are mentioned and shown at least once, and Haley is shown smoking weed a couple of times at various points in the film. At one point, before DCF comes to the hotel, Haley is shown giving her weed away to an employee of the hotel so it won't be found in her room.

Beyond that, I think too much more of this would have rotated the viewpoint too far away from the kids, which is sort of the narrative anchor of the film. It also would have detracted from the unique approach of the film, as the examination of the damage drugs do to society has been done to death at this point.

Perfect. Nothing else needs to be said. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect.
I can't get it out of my head today, mostly because I don't want to. Wondering if there is anything similar out there, but I am thinking probably not.

I can't get it out of my head today, mostly because I don't want to. Wondering if there is anything similar out there, but I am thinking probably not.

It's like the inverse, nightmare version of Florida Project, but Pixote.

I have a feeling there are other movies somewhat similar in tone and subject matter to Bakers film (though probably not as good). I'd have to think on it.

I think there are similarities with the scrappy street level energy of the Safdie brothers (and speaking of Criterion, their Adventures in Moviegoing episode is great), although Baker seems to be much gentler in his approach, at least judging by the movies I've seen from them both (Florida Project and Tangerine vs Uncut Gems and Good Time).