Am I the only one here that still buys Blu Rays/DVDs in store?

Tools    

With Netflix, you pay a monthly fee. It depends on how many you want to receive a month. I have Netflix streaming and its like $12 a month as is Hulu streaming.
Amazon Prime streaming is $90 a year I believe.
I have the Netflix $7.99-per-month plan, which is one DVD out at a time on an unlimited basis. They mail the DVDS to me, and include a prepaid mailer. It works out to about $1 a movie. It depends on how fast I watch them and get them back into the mail.

With Netflix, you pay a monthly fee. It depends on how many you want to receive a month. I have Netflix streaming and its like $12 a month as is Hulu streaming.

Amazon Prime streaming is $90 a year I believe.
He said he doesn't stream. It's a DVD plan that he has.
That's the same thing I do, it's the only way to have a real choice about what you watch. Streaming is more about being fed content than selecting it since there is so much less choice available.

Anyway cheap DVD plan is like 7 or 8 bucks a month, and you can easily get 8 DVDs a month that way. So like $1 each.

He said he pays $10 on average for movie so his other films that he is watching must be like crazy expensive.

edit: gah there is a page 2 and he already said this.

I have the Netflix $7.99-per-month plan, which is one DVD out at a time on an unlimited basis. They mail the DVDS to me, and include a prepaid mailer. It works out to about $1 a movie. It depends on how fast I watch them and get them back into the mail.
Someone Who I Met does the DVD plan, except he burns them immediately and mails them back the same or next day. It allows him to get a more movies, faster since it no longer depends on when SWIM has time to watch them.

But I don't think that's technically legal so I would never do or encourage such a thing. But I found it interesting

No not legal, also sounds like a headache to do. But kudos for originality with a healthy dose of frugality.

#2 of 3 ways that I watch movies:

Borrowing them from my local library. They have over 28,000 DVDs of all types.

Yeah I need to check out the library, I've heard it's a good resource before and never looked into it.
There are a fair number of old titles that netflix doesn't carry. Like Ishtar.

Alright with that second one I'm gonna say your third one is borrowing movies from friends.

My library has lots of classics, foreign films, silent films, you name it. But they don't have everything. But either does Netflix which constantly dumps old classics and has a shrinking catalog of titles. Which is why I have a third method to watch movies (but not streaming).

I buy movies all the time, but usually not at a brick and mortar store. I mostly buy on Amazon and occasionally on eBay. I will sometimes pick them up if I find good deals at Walmart or Target though.

Good guess, but I don't have any friends.

That is were you are wrong....Im your friend as well as many here.

Thanks MovieGal.

False Writer....I didn't mean to usurp your thread. Just one post lead to another, sorry. You did ask some good questions. So back on track.

With the rise of Netflix and all other types of online streaming services over the last few years, physical movie sales have taken a hit.

I know the whole drill: it's more convenient, casual movie watchers can search for a movie and have it loaded up in minutes. Yeah, I get that, but I just can't conform.

To me, it takes half the fun out of the whole movie experience. Part of what made me become a fan of films were the trips to the mall, going to the movie store and browsing for a film that caught my eye. Then taking it back and seeing what I had purchased. Yeah, sometimes it turned out it wasn't a great film I picked, but it didn't happen very often and more times than not I would've gotten one I enjoyed. I still do that today.

It just sucks knowing that it's going downhill fast and movie stores like F.Y.E are probably gonna go extinct in the not-too-distant future.

I don't have Netflix, but I have the premium movie channels on my satellite T.V. where I can record movies that come on channels like HBO, Encore, Starz etc. And even on there I only record movies that I have a hard time finding in stores.

I'd like to know if I'm alone on this. Are there still people that still enjoy purchasing films the old fashioned way? Or has the majority conformed to the age of online streaming?
I agree with you, I like watching movies on DVD. I do think they are becoming scarcer. I also wonder if one day they will go the way of VHS tapes? I like DVDs as they have many advantages that streaming doesn't, such as:

DVD extras and commentary tracks.
The ability to chapter jump and single frame slow advance, etc.
And for me, better playback quality versus streaming.

False Writer, I'm with you on your choice of obtaining movies. I prefer going to my local electronics store and buying a DVD/Blu-Ray. Like Miss Vicky I also go through Amazon and eBay to get my DVDs. I see movies on cable and have HBO/Cinemax. I watch Turner Classic movies all the time and have a guide that lets me know what to set to DVR. On very rare occasions I will find a movie on YouTube that I've been wanting to see that may not be available on DVD. But I will never use streaming as my only method of watching methods, which all home entertainment experts seem to be sure is the main way of watching movies in the future. And I won't burn movies onto discs.

I'm a creature of habit and I want the whole DVD package: the box with the artwork and info on the front and back cover, the DVD itself with the movie logo on the disc, the extras, with commentary, "making of," bloopers, etc. etc. I want to see it sitting on my media shelf. Still, I know things evolve. When LPs and cassette tapes went by the wayside, I swore I'd never go to CD, but I did. And now, supposedly CDs are a thing of the past. Really? I'm still buying them and will not go to iTunes and download them. I won't walk around or drive with earbuds in my ear. I prefer to pop a CD into my car.

I hate change in entertainment viewing. I'm never getting rid of my DVDs, so I guess if they go bye-bye I'll just watch the ones I have over and over (gotta a fairly big collection). DVDs are perfect...why can't all this tech just exist side-by-side? I know---it's goes along with what the market wants. Still sucks, IMO.

I buy stuff like movies and music for the sake of collecting it and supporting the artists. But on the average day when I want to watch or listen to something I just go online and do so for free. I think it's a fair system. I already limit myself a lot because of time restraints. I simply don't have enough time in my life to watch and listen to everything I like, so that's why I try to look for the best stuff and not settle for mediocrity.

I buy from the shop still.

I ordered online a couple times and the discs that arrived were unusable. A couple were scratched and one disc was even smashed, the box was full of what looked like confetti. Never shopping online again, don't trust them.

If I can't physically see it or hold it, I don't buy it.

As for online... no chance. Low quality image, bad sound and have to pay through the nose every time I want to watch.
I'd rather spend £10 straight out and be able to watch as many times as I want to, rather than pay £10 per viewing and have crap quality as an extra thumb in the eye.

Hard copy DVD, from the shop, all the way.

Not currently on fire...
I buy about 50% of my DVDs online, many from Amazon marketplace - particularly if a film is a couple of years old you can get new discs for a few pennies - I recently purchased a new blu-ray for £2.26 (about $3.50?) including postage.

The rest I but at 2nd hand places or in Poundland (a shop where everything is £1!) which often has a great selection of titles that presumably didn't sell well enough in normal shops.

It's like music as well... to add a little extra to my last post...

I have exceptional hearing... and digital music sounds s**te... CD every time. Though to be totally honest, I don't listen to music any more.

MP3, digital online downloads of music, all that, just isn't music. It's a digital representation of sound and simply, my ears can tell the difference.
It's like watching Freeview... when the signal drops or if there's a particularly dark image, say a night time scene, you get a pixelly image and it looks like a digital representation of light and your eyes can see it... my ears do that with digital sound.

CD all the way.

As for online... no chance. Low quality image, bad sound and have to pay through the nose every time I want to watch.
I'd rather spend £10 straight out and be able to watch as many times as I want to, rather than pay £10 per viewing and have crap quality as an extra thumb in the eye.
I've never paid to watch something online in my life. What an absurd concept.

Downloaded HD movies are fine for me.

I ordered online a couple times and the discs that arrived were unusable. A couple were scratched and one disc was even smashed, the box was full of what looked like confetti. Never shopping online again, don't trust them.
Where did you order from or was it from ebay/second hand traders(more likely to have trouble with these)? You should haven't any trouble on places like Amazon for dealing with it. If you do get a damaged disc through you can send it back for free and get a replacement sent out to you. If I get a damaged item from them, I always tell me to send out their free courier to collect it from my house because I'm not travelling to the post office to send it back when it's not my fault and tell them to send a replacement out or a full refund.

A couple of things arriving damaged shouldn't put you off, the majority of things come through fine and dandy as myself and millions of other people could tell you.

Or you have a dodgy postman.

Most of my things that arrive damaged are due to the post office/postman/couriers squashing, not handling the packages with care and so on. One thing was even stolen because one of our idiot postmen didn't hear the packages drop out of his bag...

Thanks MovieGal.

False Writer....I didn't mean to usurp your thread. Just one post lead to another, sorry. You did ask some good questions. So back on track.

I agree with you, I like watching movies on DVD. I do think they are becoming scarcer. I also wonder if one day they will go the way of VHS tapes? I like DVDs as they have many advantages that streaming doesn't, such as:

DVD extras and commentary tracks.
The ability to chapter jump and single frame slow advance, etc.
And for me, better playback quality versus streaming.
Oh it's no problem lol. And that's a HUGE bonus for me concerning DVDs also, the bonus features. Whenever I really enjoyed a film I just watched I usually go straight to the bonus features to learn more about it. That's something streaming and digital doesn't have.