Romances you rooted against

Tools    

On a more general note, I tend to root against most romances. I usually want the villain to get the girl.

So the only ones I root for are the ones where the villain (or antihero) sort of does…

I think you’re totally right, but that makes it more interesting to me & true to human nature, as it were.
It's certainly realistic (we all know those people who break up and make up several times a year!), but it doesn't mean I have to root for it!!

Indeed not! Wasn’t suggesting that at all.
I'm just referencing the title of the thread.

I think that there are many romances in movies that are realistic and reflect relationship dynamics that are unhealthy. They can be good movies and the portrayal of the relationships can be interesting, but you don't actually root for them to be together in the end.

One that occurs to me: Anna Schmidt (Valli) and Harry Lime (Orson Welles) in The Third Man (1949).

Come to think of it Welles never had a cinematic lover that worked out too well....

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
really i only watched the tv series

The film was based on a 1968 novel. If you ever liked the TV series you really should watch the film. It's 10x better.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

… with Rhett deciding to leave Scarlett behind at the end.
He’ll be back.

The truth is in here
I have a new one, which also raises some questions about how it was like in real life. Walk The Line.

Johnny Cash's obsessive pursuing of June Carter is very uncomfortable and creepy. She keeps rejecting and telling him no over and over and over again, and with such firmness in her voice every time that you feel really bad for her. So when the proposal comes at the end I felt so much at unease that I was begging for him to stop embarrassing her, but he doesn't budge and she feels forced to say "yes".

Or is that how it really was? Was June actually in love with Johnny too in real life? Despite how great both actors were in their roles, I never felt anything more than frustration and disappointment over Cash's stubbornness from June's side, while he was definitely in love but to unhealthy and destructive levels.

Nevertheless, with how it was depicted in the movie I did not root for them to be together. And the proposal scene was well-made and tense, but I didn't find it romantic whatsoever.

I have a new one, which also raises some questions about how it was like in real life. Walk The Line.

Johnny Cash's obsessive pursuing of June Carter is very uncomfortable and creepy. She keeps rejecting and telling him no over and over and over again, and with such firmness in her voice every time that you feel really bad for her. So when the proposal comes at the end I felt so much at unease that I was begging for him to stop embarrassing her, but he doesn't budge and she feels forced to say "yes".

Or is that how it really was? Was June actually in love with Johnny too in real life? Despite how great both actors were in their roles, I never felt anything more than frustration and disappointment over Cash's stubbornness from June's side, while he was definitely in love but to unhealthy and destructive levels.

Nevertheless, with how it was depicted in the movie I did not root for them to be together. And the proposal scene was well-made and tense, but I didn't find it romantic whatsoever.
Loved this movie. Yes, they loved each other passionately, warts & all. Check out them singing on You Tube - they’re fun to watch.