The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

...I only saw Predestination a few months ago, when @Citizen Rules nominated it for me in the Personal Recommendations HoF, and I absolutely loved it.
I love Predestination and I thought you would too and you did! Glad to see you voted for it. IMO it's the best sci fi of the 2010s...Predestination was my #6

Predestination

@Citizen Rules - I changed my guess!
Yup...have you seen it?

A system of cells interlinked
I love Predestination and I thought you would too and you did! Glad to see you voted for it. IMO it's the best sci fi of the 2010s...Predestination was my #6

Yup...have you seen it?
I have! I saw it twice, if I recall. Really good time travel flick.

Had Arrival in 23rd ...

What I loved about it was it utilised that aliens and humans would have absolutely no idea on how to talk to each other and would have to find a common ground.
Most, if not all, sci-fi aliens for some reason all speak Modern English, a naturally evolved language that is barely 150 years old
I mean, English changes so drastically so quickly, it's different to how it was in even the 1990s, the chances of an alien species speaking it are beyond remote.

1: Ex Machina (2015) - 49th
2: Dredd (2012) - 42nd
3: Interstellar (2014) - 33rd
4: Bloody well better had do
5: Joker (2019) - 60th
6: 100%
7: Prisoners (2013) - 69th
8: The Hateful Eight (2015) - 20th
9: The Shape of Water (2017) - 52nd
10: Django Unchained (2012) 27th
11: Shutter Island (2010) - 76th
12: 100%
13: Hopefully
14: Hopefully
15: Hopefully
16: Deadpool (2016) - 85th
17: Maybe
18: Logan (2017) - 46th
19: Probably
20: Avengers: Endgame (2019) - 79th
21: The Martian (2015) - 82nd
22: 100%
23: Arrival (2016) - 12th
24: Maybe
25: Probably not

Point totals? Curious how many more points I needed to give some of these to make it.
Frances Ha - 78 points
Call Me By Your Name - 78 points
The Nice Guys - 77 points
Moneyball - 77 points
I Am Not Your Negro - 77 points
I Saw the Devil - 75 points
American Hustle - 74 points
Lady Bird - 74 points
Mommy - 74 points
Predestination - 73 points

Near Misses (#111 - #120)

111. The Babadook - 72 points
112. Mandy - 71 points
113. Won't You be My Neighbor? - 71 points
114. Skyfall - 70 points
115. Uncle Boonmee Who can Recall His Past Lives - 70 points
116. Hanagatami - 70 points
117. Midsommar - 68 points
118. Hugo - 67 points
119. A Ghost Story - 67 points
120. You Were Never Really Here - 67 points

I've seen all of those except for Won't You Be My Neighbor? and Hanatagami. A Ghost Story was #11 on my ballot. You Were Never Really Here almost made my ballot, but was cut from it near the end. Most of those I enjoy, with Midsommar being my least favorite.

2. Holy Motors (#51)
4. Moonlight (#62)
5. The Florida Project (#14)
6. Inside Llewyn Davis (#22)
8. Arrival (#12)
10. Burning (#35)
11. A Ghost Story (near miss #119)
12. Take Shelter (#67)
13. Certified Copy (#84)
14. Under the Skin (#54)
20. A Separation (#90)
21. It's Such a Beautiful Day (#16)
23. Hereditary (#96)

Frances Ha This is on my list.
Call Me By Your Name This is not on my list. I think it is a beautifully made movie. I just had a problem with someone as young looking as Chalomet being with someone as mature looking as Hammer. The vibe was kind of ephebophilish.
The Nice Guys I have not seen it,
Moneyball I have not seen it.
I Am Not Your Negro This is on my list.
I Saw the Devil I have never even heard of this.
American Hustle I saw it.
Lady Bird I saw it.
Mommy I have never even heard about it.
Predestination Again, I have never even heard of this
The Babadook I love this.
Mandy Never heard of it
Won't You be My Neighbor? loved this
Skyfall saw it
Uncle Boonmee Who can Recall His Past Lives never heard of it
Hanagatami never heard of it
Midsommar Ahhhhhhhhh! Horrifying.
Hugo didn't see it
A Ghost Story didn't see it.
You Were Never Really Here Excellent

112. Mandy - 71 points
114. Skyfall - 70 points
118. Hugo - 67 points
I've seen all of these except for Won't You be My Neighbor? Hugo was my #25.

111. The Babadook - 72 points -

112. Mandy - 71 points

114. Skyfall - 70 points
117. Midsommar - 68 points -

118. Hugo - 67 points- -
-
Midsommar was my #16. I had Hereditary quite a bit higher at #6, but I actually love them on very similar levels

Many of these have been on my watchlist for some time

Frances Ha - 78 points
Call Me By Your Name - 78 points
The Nice Guys - 77 points
Moneyball - 77 points
I Am Not Your Negro - 77 points
I Saw the Devil - 75 points
American Hustle - 74 points
Lady Bird - 74 points
Mommy - 74 points
Predestination - 73 points

I think I'm sorta surprised that Ladybird didn't make it.

It wasn't in contention to be on my ballot, but I sort of figured it would have to make a top 100 without my help. But apparently their are 35 Avengers movies to contend with.

It would have also been nice for Moneyball to sneak it. It won't. And I also didn't vote for that. But I liked it a lot.

I probably should have voted for Frances Ha. Not sure why I excluded it. It certainly should have been in serious contention.

Near Misses (#101 - #110)

101. Frances Ha
102. Call Me By Your Name
103. The Nice Guys
104. Moneyball
105. I Am Not Your Negro
106. I Saw the Devil
107. American Hustle
108. Lady Bird
109. Mommy
110. Predestination
I've only seen five of those, but none of them were strong contenders for my list. I thought about The Nice Guys, but I already had put it on my list for the Comedy countdown so I decided to pass on it. Lady Bird was also on my first list, but I cut it out quickly. Both I Saw the Devil and Predestination were recent watches, so I kinda wanted to let them simmer. I think Predestination had more of a chance to be on my list, but again, none of them were really contenders to make it for me.

Had Skyfall in my top 5 I believe, was sure it was climbing up. Thought there were more Bond fans in these parts. Shame.

112. Mandy - 71 points
114. Skyfall - 70 points
118. Hugo - 67 points
Didn't like You Were Never Really Here, Hugo, Midsommar, Uncle Boonmee, or Mandy.

Thought A Ghost Story, Skyfall, and Babadook were ok.

112. Mandy - 71 points
114. Skyfall - 70 points
118. Hugo - 67 points
Ouch, this one hurt. Seen the ones in bold. Hugo was my #6 and A Ghost Story was my #7.

I think I've spoken about my appreciation for Hugo here before and, again, I brought it up on that podcast I did with @Yoda. I remember my initial reaction was thinking it was charming, touching, and uplifting. But as it sunk deeper, it had a somewhat profound impact on me in helping me appreciate early silent cinema. It is my favorite Scorsese, and truly, the only one of his films that has really left a mark on me. The way that he weaves this fictional story with his personal love letter to cinema is fantastic.

As for A Ghost Story, I think it is a powerful exploration of grief and of our existence in this life, the marks that we leave behind and the impact they have not only in our loved ones, but on the world as a whole. The clever way that Lowery frames this seems absurd and silly, but somehow he pulls off a magnificent and thought-provoking film that just gets under your skin.

I've seen these. Midsommar was good enough for one watch but probably won't watch it again. I didn't care at all for A Ghost Story and Sheet Affleck.

You Were Never Really Here is a powerful showcase of Phoenix's talent and just a really engaging story all around. It also makes a really great double feature with Joker. I'm really disappointed that it didn't make the countdown. I had it at #10.

Seen: 53/90
My Ballot:
7. Joker (#60)
8. Django Unchained (#27)
9. The Wolf of Wall Street (#11)
10. You Were Never Really Here (#120, Near Miss)
11. The Man From Nowhere (#95)
14. Inside Out (#59)
20. Jojo Rabbit (#89)
24. Call Me By Your Name (#102, Near Miss)
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Reviews in My 2010s Countdown Preparation Thread

My Most Recent Review For You Were Never Really Here:

You Were Never Really Here (Lynne Ramsay, 2017)
(Rewatch)

Like another, better known (and Oscar winning) Joaquin Phoenix role, You Were Never Really Here is a character study of a man struggling psychological trauma and social isolation who turns to violence as a means of coping.

But this is a very different sort of film. The violence is not cathartic for either the audience or the film's protagonist. Indeed, we often don't even get to witness his acts of brutality, but instead only get to see the aftermath. And whereas that other film (which I'll likely be watching next) is a bit showy and bombastic, this film is quiet and meditative and its central performance hinges on subtlety. Dialogue is sparse and the film always keeps its audience at arm's length, and yet even so I feel very much connected to it because we also get small glimpses of this man's humanity and capacity for gentleness - stopping to pet a cat or offering comfort and pain relief to a dying man that he's just shot.

It's a wonderful showcase for Phoenix's talent and a very unique and engrossing film to watch. It's also a lock for my ballot and I'll be very disappointed if it fails to make the countdown proper.

I enjoyed Arrival, although Jeremy Renner was wasted on the film-- not much more than a spear carrier.

Wolf of Wall Street
was too over the top-- almost a parody. The constant silly bacchanalias and drugs were pretty ridiculous, I guess sort of a precursor to Babylon.

Neither made my list.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Lady Bird was number 4 for me. Loved Ronan in it. The screenplay is amazing. I also almost voted for another Ronan that didn't make it.

American Hustle was my number 5. A great cast and a fun story.

Frances Ha was my number 6. Again a great screenplay, great characters and a great story.

You all suck.