Question on this camera technique

Tools    

Hi,

Hoping that someone can help me out here - this is a shot from Bong Joon Ho's film 'Barking Dogs Never Bite'. In it, the central characters are in the foreground, and the background suddenly appears to move away from them (without them moving physically).

Is this done by some sort of slow reverse dolly shot using zoom functions? Or are the actors on a sort of platform that moves forward? Or another technique?

Thanks for any help

I don't know for sure, but it looks to me like the actors and camera are dollying forward together, nothing with a zoom.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I don't know for sure, but it looks to me like the actors and camera are dollying forward together, nothing with a zoom.
Thanks - so any idea how that is done? Is that something mechanical under their feet? Or could they all simply be on a low trolley that someone drags very slowly?

Again only guessing, but yes, I would assume the actors and camera are on a moving platform of some kind. And it may even be a steadycam to make sure there are no bumps, even though that is not the traditional kind of scene that would be shot on a steadycam.

Yeah it's either what Holden said with a dolly track and the actors on a platform... or the Dolly Zoom as Flicker said.

It seems a little too crisp for Dolly Zoom so I'd say the same as Holden and they have the actors standing on a dolly platform/track.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I'd agree with Holden. I think if it was a dolly and zoom, the background would distort significantly with perspective compression as the lens continues to zoom in compensating for its growing distance from the subject. In your clip, it appears to just recede.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Can be done with green screen or back projection.

I think the focus is staying the same and the dolly is moving backwards.

If you look(focus) on the man on the right, you can see him rock towards the camera once a second or so after the scene starts like he's trying recover from moving due to the dolly movement. Later on, you can see him rock to the left and then back slightly - I'm guessing due to an uneven tracking of the dolly wheels.

Good scene to bring to this forum.