The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Short tech note, some of the earlier ranks are gonna look wonky for a bit until I can sit down and fix/relabel a bunch of stuff. Trying to find a way to do this that won't take forever/be totally manual, so kindly take the exact rankings up until these last few with a grain of salt, as most will shift slightly before we confirm the final list.
I've been thinking that what's currently #100 will end up not making the list. Just a guess.

I think that's right. My wife loves The Blues Brothers, presumably because she saw it as a kid and liked the vibe. I didn't see it as a kid and it's never made as much sense to me.

I think that's right. My wife loves The Blues Brothers, presumably because she saw it as a kid and liked the vibe. I didn't see it as a kid and it's never made as much sense to me.
Plus I saw it as a kid living in Chicago.

Music is the biggest popcorn bucket generating factor in The Blues Brothers for me. That's why I have it in the top 3 on my All Time Musical Top 50. Without a doubt, it's pretty funny as well, absolutely don't mind seeing it make this list.

A system of cells interlinked
I was just about to add that, aside from the very bottom of this list, if it is off by one film one way or another, I don't see it as a huge deal, and it doesn't matter if it takes a little while to fix. The films are getting listed and stimulating discussion, and we are all still getting exposed to a bunch of MoFo's bad taste in comedy. For an example, see: my list.

Trivia I'm curious about.. mofos from how many different countries have voted?
That I know of; US, Canada, Sweden, Denmark, Australia, The Netherlands, Brazil?

Yeah, stay tuned, there's a few issues there to untangle.

More than the two or three that we already know of?

I believe, based on what's been revealed, the numbers and order of what I have here is correct:
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...41#post2321041

214 points, 18 lists
The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!
Director

David Zucker, 1988

Starring

Leslie Nielsen, Priscilla Presley, Ricardo Montalban, George Kennedy

216 points, 14 lists
The Princess Bride
Director

Rob Reiner, 1987

Starring

Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Mandy Patinkin, Chris Sarandon

Trivia: When asked what his favorite thing about making this movie, Andr theGiant replied, "without skipping a beat, "Nobody looks at me". He felt treated as an equal, without people staring at him because of his size.

Seen both, voted for neither. Naked Gun is silly, stupid fun. I have it on dvd. Princess Bride is enjoyable, but I find it a little overrated. I don't consider it an all time great comedy, but I know a lot of people do. Somewhat surprisingly, I don't own Princess Bride in any format.
I'm not surprised to see Princess Bride rank this high, although I am a little surprised to see Naked Gun so high.

Haven't seen The Naked Gun. I considered The Princess Bride for my ballot, but it didn't make it. Very good film though.

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Haven't seen either. This has been a shocking countdown. But that's kind of cool. Looks like 14 left

15 left. Ignore the "x per day" thing, the little shift earlier, announced in the thread, has thrown off that schedule by one, but the ranks themselves for the last few days are all correct. The others will be corrected shortly.

We'll probably just start the one-a-day thing a day earlier so it still "lines up."

Covering the last 6:

I saw Raising Arizona when it came out and did not like it all. In mitigation, I was much younger and it was probably my first encounter with the Coens. I suspect I would enjoy a lot more if/when I get around to it again.

Bringing Up Baby is a lot of fun and kind of a must-watch for those of us integrated into the Bryn Mawr community. Not on my list, however.

The Blues Brothers really didn't do much for me. Monty Python's Life of Brian, however, is probably the Pythons' best movie as a movie and filled with classic comedy bits, and was #24 on my list.

I'm not big on Woody Allen in general, but I did like Annie Hall. Not enough to vote for it, mind. And Office Space, I don't know. I get it, I just don't love it, you know?

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Naked Gun. From not even making a 1980s countdown to #17 on a comedy list. I know it's been years but that's shocking.

It is almost inconceivable that the only other time The Princess Bride made the cut was as #27 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1980s. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! was not on that list nor any other. Nothing to see here. Move along.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Oh, here's two more great ones. I voted for a different ZAZ movie, you know the one, but Naked Gun is pretty hilarious. It was probably one of my last cuts.

And The Princess Bride is just wonderful in every way. Perfectly pitched, perfectly written, perfectly acted. My #8.

Reply to Topic