Neo-Realism strikes again

→ in
Tools    

'Playground' (2021)

There is not a single second of music in this film including the opening and closing credits. Instead there are just images - handlheld camera at the height of the main character Nora who sees her brother getting bullied at School.

It's not a new technique but it is undertaken well by Director and cinematographer. And results in a mezmerisingly good turn by the lead young actress Maya Vanderbeque who gives one of the performances of the year in her screen debut. It's also (sickeningly) the Director's feature debut (Laura Wandel), and you'd be forgiven for thinking this is a film made by a more accomplished director like fellow Belgians the Dardenne brothers for instance. The neo realism and authenticity has the same feel as alot of their work.

It's a hard film to watch at times as there is some disturbing scenes that involve children at their nastiest. But the fact it comes back around beautifully and keeps the viewer gripped right until the end of film's short 72 minute running time is testament to what a good job Wandel has done here. A strong career awaits her you'd have thought.

8.8/10

'Playground' (2021)

There is not a single second of music in this film including the opening and closing credits. Instead there are just images - handlheld camera at the height of the main character Nora who sees her brother getting bullied at School.

It's not a new technique but it is undertaken well by Director and cinematographer. And results in a mezmerisingly good turn by the lead young actress Maya Vanderbeque who gives one of the performances of the year in her screen debut. It's also (sickeningly) the Director's feature debut (Laura Wandel), and you'd be forgiven for thinking this is a film made by a more accomplished director like fellow Belgians the Dardenne brothers for instance. The neo realism and authenticity has the same feel as alot of their work.

It's a hard film to watch at times as there is some disturbing scenes that involve children at their nastiest. But the fact it comes back around beautifully and keeps the viewer gripped right until the end of film's short 72 minute running time is testament to what a good job Wandel has done here. A strong career awaits her you'd have thought.

8.8/10

Finally found this movie on prime so I’ve put it in my watchlist. Seems very good.

Wonder how they got from Un Monde (a world) to Playground for the title.

Watched it yesterday. Excellent movie. Little girl (at first I thought she was a boy) is excellent in her leading rôle.