Movies that are based on true stories:

Tools    

As for all of the movies being more or less based on true events, that's an interesting possibility that I never took into consideration. Thanks for the heads up, both of you
there are many movies which are based on true events or real people.Also some directors create movies which are based on their lives or the environment where they live or used to live.I read that Martin Scorsese grew up in New York and he used to see gangster lifestyle and all the culture and that's why he's so good with gangster movies.Many directors base their movies on their lives or on true events and people.
If we look deeper - we can't create something what we didn't see or read about.Fantasy films are based on mythology which are loosely based on true stories.Some directors get inspiration from other films,which are based on other films and finally all the films come to back to real life situations and people.

there are many movies which are based on true events or real people.Also some directors create movies which are based on their lives or the environment where they live or used to live.I read that Martin Scorsese grew up in New York and he used to see gangster lifestyle and all the culture and that's why he's so good with gangster movies.Many directors base their movies on their lives or on true events and people.
If we look deeper - we can't create something what we didn't see or read about.Fantasy films are based on mythology which are loosely based on true stories.Some directors get inspiration from other films,which are based on other films and finally all the films come to back to real life situations and people.
Although you've made some interesting points, Gabrielle947, movies can also be based on certain cliches and stereotypes that all too often either come to, or are already present in the forefront of people's minds. While stereotypes are often loosely based on certain tribal traditions, or whatever, they're also based on prejudice, which, in turn, is borne out of fear.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Braveheart

Fargo

Lord of the Rings

Inglorious Basterds

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Into The Wild (2007) - This was such a great movie based on a true story, I am dying to read the book but just have not gotten around to it.
The book is incredible. Lots of differences between it and the film. Of course, the book is better

Alpha Dog (2006)

City of God

Although you've made some interesting points, Gabrielle947, movies can also be based on certain cliches and stereotypes that all too often either come to, or are already present in the forefront of people's minds. While stereotypes are often loosely based on certain tribal traditions, or whatever, they're also based on prejudice, which, in turn, is borne out of fear.
I'm not sure if I get your point but stereotypes come from real life,too.There are some cliche movies, for example, action movies where the main character beats 20 enemy guys and avoids hundreds of bullets,saves the day,tells some badass jokes and falls in love with a beautiful girl.But such movies also come from other similar plot movies which were popular."Die Hard" was a movie this type but it was the first so it became a classic.And it is popular.Now there are tons of similar to "Die Hard" movies but they are bad because they are too silly and unrealistic.And I bet that their inspiration was Die Hard.So these movies come from a classic.And classic movies really might be based on a true event or story.At least a bit.
But now I'm thinking and maybe these stereotype movies also are created to fulfill human needs as we want to be like these characters represented in a movie.It's like a trick.

Thanks, I was being a bit of a troll but no one seemed to notice.

Bonnie and Clyde (1967), although based on their crime spree, it was quite romantic in parts. But they didn't hold back on the violence. Seeing documentaries on their lives, it also took liberties with facts. But still, a good movie.

They believe Goodfellas was true...but you never know with crime figures?

Waterloo

Forgot what a classic it is. The battle scenes with tons of extras are fabulous. Doesn't look the same in modern day movies with CGI armies.

Hollywood take note.

The Strangers? I believe that one was if I remember correctly! that movie tripped me out... spooked the crap out of me

From what I understand, there's going to be a movie out about Whitey Bulger, starring Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. I have resolved to put this movie on my
"do not see" list for the following reasons:

A) As everybody on here knows, I'm not a big fan of Ben Affleck.

B) Whitey Bulger, who many people regarded as a big hero and still do, is nobody to glorify or romanticize. He's a nasty, dangerous and murderous piece of work who, often enough, will strike just out of the blue, without warning. Moreover, Whitey Bulger's not just some ignorant, incompetent boob, but an extremely sly, crafty, cunning and diabolically clever individual, which is precisely what makes him so dangerous.