Aquaman 2019 - Half Breed Bastard Abomination … and King

Today I will be talking about the movie Aquaman (2019)and give you my impressions about it. How Arthur Curry (Aquaman) goes on a mission to find the Trident from the first Atlantean King, Atlan; how he falls in love with Mera (Amber Heard); how he faces both Black Manta and his half-brother, Orm Marius, the Ocean Master.

Before watching it, I didn't have a good impression about the movie judging by the Justice Leagues' movie that I didn't like and also because they've chosen Jason Momoa to be Aquaman. I was like “Drogo will be Aquaman? That will never work!”. Every time an actor is cast to interpret a character that he doesn't resemble, I get bad vibes. At least in my mind, he wasn't a good choice. The movie proved me wrong.

I still can't get over the fact that they chose to change Aquaman's personality dramatically. I think I have to grow used to it. Aquaman in the comic books is a very formal, serious, knowledgeable character and that's the exact opposite of how the character is portrayed in the movie. In the big screen, the character is immature, dumb, show-off.

The characters felt like real people with real motivations. I didn't feel forced to swallow anything in it regarding they being who they were. Both heroes and villains were really well put together. The two main antagonists have in common the hate they feel towards Arthur. Orm Marius, the Ocean Master, Aquaman's brother who sees him as an inferior bastard half breed and David Kane (later Black Manta) who blames Arthur for his father's death.

The female heroine in this film, Mera, has all the features female characters nowadays showcase in movies. They know everything, they are extremely strong and super powerful, they have an answer for every situation. We don't get to see flashbacks of her training or anything about her growing up. This narrative, dumb, impulsive male character plus know-it-all female character is getting really old. It's the biggest cliché in the 21st century.

The last scene will leave you without breath. The action sequence is just too eye candy and hypnotizing. The movie was a whole lot of fun and beautiful experience. The ticket to watch it was a good investment. I believe the movie is a complete package with all the elements you might like in a movie such as romance that seems real, the characters really look like they love one another, both couples Mera and Aquaman and Arthur's parents. The fight scenes were flawless, visual effects are amazing, everything looks so exotic and attractive. The villains were also great. The whole plot regarding Aquaman's and Ocean Master's mother, Atlanna (Nicole Kidman), was really moving.

I would like also to point out the relationship between Vulko (Willem Dafoe) and Arthur. He taught young Aquaman martial arts (including how to handle the Trident he was supposed to go after to claim his throne one day) and all the history of the Atlantean people.

Hopefully, we can see Aquaman in a new Justice League movie, this time with a better script and I also have my fingers crossed so they cast somebody to be the Green Lantern so we finally have a real Justice League movie, because in my humble opinion, without Green Lantern the League is not the League. It feels more like 6 characters joined together but not the real JLA.

The movie does a fantastic job both giving new life to the character's legacy and being respectful to the original source material. Do not miss the chance and go watch it if you haven't yet. I didn't feel the time passing.