Movies that should be remade.

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Because it's easier to do a lazy cash-in based on a classic's brand recognition rather than do something more original (and financially risky) like redo a lesser-known film.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
It needed some means of explaining what the unbearable lightness of being is or means. In the book it is explained by a narrator, but that is difficult to pull off in a film. Perhaps there could have been a scene that featured a college professor lecturing or students discussing the unbearable lightness of being. The Kaufman film played up the erotic aspects of the book, but neglected the themes of betrayal that factors heavily into Kundera's works.

Part of me wants to say Highlander because it's such a simple but effective action high concept (immortals secretly sword-fight each other to the death across centuries) that seems ripe for reinvention (especially on the action front, which just looks clumsy nowadays), but at the same time I wonder if there's an angle this premise could take that wasn't covered in any of its many sequels or spinoffs.

Part of me wants to say Highlander because it's such a simple but effective action high concept (immortals secretly sword-fight each other to the death across centuries) that seems ripe for reinvention (especially on the action front, which just looks clumsy nowadays), but at the same time I wonder if there's an angle this premise could take that wasn't covered in any of its many sequels or spinoffs.

I heard they were working on a remake a while back with Ryan Reynolds attached.
Worst casting ever even though I like Reynolds.

But, I did also hear that Kevin McKidd was in the shortlist for a remake as well but negotiations fell through.
I'd like to see that though tbh... a Scottish actor playing the Highlander. Just not McAvoy though, please.

Like The Crow, it seems like one of those movies where rumours of a reboot have been floating around for years but never actually come close to being a reality.

(The Crow definitely doesn't need to be remade, though, even if it is a little lacking in quality).

The franchise really has been an obvious examples of the weakness of endless sequels and links back to the original I would say. I mean if you actually look at the first film its very much of its era as a kind of grungy MTV style action piece following stuff like Terminator and Escape from Newyork. I'm not sure the basic story would actually need anything that new so much as it would simply a different style/perspective on it.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
It needed some means of explaining what the unbearable lightness of being is or means. In the book it is explained by a narrator, but that is difficult to pull off in a film. Perhaps there could have been a scene that featured a college professor lecturing or students discussing the unbearable lightness of being. The Kaufman film played up the erotic aspects of the book, but neglected the themes of betrayal that factors heavily into Kundera's works.
The film doesn't state it directly but I think it clearly does get across the idea of lightness/heaviness, Sabina and Tereza's characters representing the two and Thomaz moving between them.

Highlander:

I’d start the movie off earlier in time than the original, the 1400s, as it just seems better to have Connor a little older than 400. Over 600 years old just sounds better.
1400s
Connor MacLeod - Kevin McKidd
Angus MacLeod (Connor’s eldest cousin) - Tommy Flanagan
Dugal MacLeod (Connor’s youngest cousin) - Graham McTavish
Kate MacLeod (Connor’s first wife) - Ashley Mulheron

Heather MacLeod (Connor’s second wife) - Karen Gillan
Annette Crosbie as the aged Heather

New character - Connor’s father - played by James Cosmo, who played Angus MacLeod in the original movie
New character - Connor’s brother - played by Ewan McGregor, who played the son of Cosmo in Trainspotting
(Full-on Trainspotting reunion with McKidd, McGregor and Cosmo )

Juan Sánchez Villa Lobos Ramírez - Benicio del Toro

I’d move the date of “modern” times to the mid-2020s.

2020s

Rachel Ellenstein (Connor's "daughter", rescued from the Nazi's) - Rachel Weisz (with makeup and CGI aging as she would appear in some flashback scenes from the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and 1990s)

Brenda Wyatt (Connor's new love interest) - Rachel McAdams

New character - A female immortal, Asian, played by Michelle Yeoh
New character - Another Asian immortal, currently tracking the Asian female, played by Tony Jaa

Big showdown between the Asian stars, then the winner takes on The Kurgan (and loses obviously).

Sunda Kastagir - Abel Makkonen Tesfaye (aka The Weeknd)

Iman Fasil - Rami Malek

The Kurgan - Joe Manganiello

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Why is it that the only movies that get remade are the movies that rocked when the first came out? The films that really could have benefitted from being remade never get noticed,in that sense.

The movies that rocked already have a lot of built-in equity. Kinda like buying Hyundais. They may be better now, but people still remember the Scoupe. Honda and Toyota have been better longer, so people gravitate towards them based on the history.

I was like oh wow what a great thread....and then I saw your choices.

Die Hard and Jaws should never be remade, you can do a prequel to Jaws based on the Indianapolis.

7 Remakes I want to see

The Princess Bride(1987) - I would love to see Julie Taymor or Bryan Fuller take a crack at the 30 year old classic.

The Wizard (1989) - I'm dating myself here, but with the jumps in technology and a field of very talented young actors around today I can imagine a kick-ass version of this movie.

Fantasia (1940) - I want an IMAX Fantasia

Revenge of the Nerds (1984) - This is one of those movies where an all-female version could work really well.

Fantastic Planet (1973) - The original is a weird animated classic, I think the world is ready for a live action version.

Ravenous (1999) - The low budget nature of the cannibal/slasher/period film with a great first act and weak second act. Ideally a remake would just focus on the first part.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers(1956) - For me this is the American Christmas Carol a story so good it should get a new take every ten years or so to adjust to different social norms.

I think the more Princess Bride in the world, the better. How do you make it work though? I haven't seen anything with that sort of charm made in...a while. The lower the budget the better, force the innovation hand, but this would be a monster franchise movie if they ever remade it.

The Wizard would leave me a tad more skeptical. You remember how small the vg world was back then. Nintendo Power, EGM just started that year, and urban legends were the only way you heard of games. In the day of Twitch and the internet, I don't know how you would do it. It would seem to take such a re-imagining that the movie would be completely different.

There is a strong connection between these two movies though. Can't quite put my finger on it...

Highlander: The Quickening would be the one they remade. It's universally praised as the high point of the franchise.

I see your point, Mister B, but the studios want a "sure thing," not a remake of a movie that tanked or is little known. There are some movies that were "quiet" remakes, though, like "Heaven Can Wait," which was a remake of "Here Comes Mr. Jordan."

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Well some people say movies that were not well remembered should be remade instead of remaking classics. But when I tell people I feel Invasion of the Bee Girls should be remade, no one wants to see that .

Waterworld could do with a remake though.
Love the movie as it is, but, there was so many unused ideas and stuff that was filmed and cut from the final movie.
Could be a proper epic movie, especially given today's media panic mongering about global warming.

Along with this, I thought of another one that could work with the current environmental media panic mongering...

Silent Running.
The remake should definitely drop the hippy music though.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Silent Running would be awesome to remake!

The Twilight Series and I got an idea on how to make it better

1. Make it a modern day bloody vampire movie, non of this glitter vamp sh*t. Put some book formula parts in but not piece by piece or it will be too predictable. Yes I know it's all about imagination but stuff like this should not be messed with.

2. This should really be made into like one or two movies. Having a part 3, 4 or 5 would be over doing it.

3. More horror and thriller and less romance. Vampires are like Zombies, let's treat them as a threat not lovey dovey things.

4. Have a plot that sounds good and make Bella more likable. Halfway through the movie I would start turning this into Bella and her human folks vs. The vamps. the werewolf clan can help kill the vamps and get rid of them before Edward takes Bella captivity and makes her his newly addition to the Cullen family.

5. Having good character roles and not sh*tty scenes like the wedding scene at Breaking Dawn part 2, everyone looked high and actually having an exception that Bella is marrying a vampire, ummm hello Charlie (Bella's Father) you going to say something, nope instead he sits there like he's stoned.

6. If Stephanie Meyer (The author of the Twilight books) declines most of the stuff listed, then we all can forget this ever being remade.

I can see Harry Potter getting remade, or re-adapted, sometime in the future, even when the existing films are all extremely beloved and well-made. But it’s pretty much inevitable they don’t get re-adapted in the future because of how popular it got.

All seven books are among the best-selling individual books of all time, and it’s the best-selling series of books in history by a landslide. So many people want to have a say in how those books should look on screen, the story and characters are so integrated into popular culture, and it has to be said that the films have had splitting thoughts among the fanbase where some think they’re great and others think they’re not so great.

remakes always ruined the originals

The Thing is a remake of The Thing fro m Another World.
Oceans Eleven
Little Shop of Horrors
The Hobbit movies

And I really don't need to point this own out again, but I will: Ocean's Eleven.

You could argue that even the good remakes "ruin" the originals by making them look worse and preventing them from being the definitive version of the film.

after 30 years i think its time they remade Repo Man

after 30 years i think its time they remade Repo Man

They kinda did twice already.
Repo Chick (2009) and Repo Men (2010)