Hollywoods Biggest Tough Guys

Tools    

I'd like to mention Harrison Ford again in this discussion of tough guys. In most of his movies, he's tough but he's still scared. That's the definition of real courage. A guy like say...Marv from Sin City who barrels in with no fear and borders on the psychopath, is tough as hell but he's not really courageous. He's not overcoming any fear. The bastard doesn't know fear.

But Harrison, in many of his movies, is scared like all of us would be but does what needs to be done. That is a much more honest and impressive definition of tough IMO. Harrison is the transition from the John Wayne hero who knew no fear to the modern realistic hero who acts courageously despite his fear.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Thanks Aniko. I actually had a list of three characters I didnt think anyone would think of. One being Frodo of course, the other two were Achilles (Troy), and The Incredible Hulk (Hulk). I decided against the Hulk simply because making an argument for him would be to easy. And, Achilles didnt exactly have the Tough Guy death one would look for. For me, Frodo has proven his worth as a tough guy on the big screen.

Originally Posted by Aniko
I wanted to add a couple more women to the list. They may not be tough in terms of physical strength...but their mere presence would put anyone on guard.
Ripley from Aliens has to be right up there.

It's interesting how women are now readily accepted as seriously tough. I'm talking about kickass, physically tough. That wasn't the case a few years ago. I'm not sure when the change took place. Xena probably helped. No one snickers when the Bride, the women from Crouching Tiger, Flying Daggers and Hero and Lara Croft are rolling heads. Compare that to the 70s and Wonder Woman. She was sexy and had great breast plates but did anyone believe she could beat up a linebacker?

Ripley is definatly a survior, and is mentally tough.

Its funny you mentioned tough chics, because I considering Black Mamba from Kill Bill. But, she's to much like a Superwoman. The same reasons I was reluctant to add The Hulk to the list apply to her. Its almost to easy to make a case for her.

You know what, I changed my mind about The Black Mamba. Anyone who can take one to the head, get raped while in a coma, and still kill everybody that looked at her the wrong way, is pretty tough in my book.

Speaking of Kill Bill, and tough guys, what about the guy training Black Mamba? Didnt she kick him in the (u know where) and he didnt even blink??? If so, it don't get much tougher than that.....

John McClane --- anybody know who this guys is? no powers just plain pesky

If you're talking John McClane, you're definatly talking tough. Good choice there.

Vin Diesel
Bruce Willis
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
Arnold What-cha-ma-call-it

I am having a nervous breakdance

Mystery Man - Lost Highway

Hmmm... More like a "bad guy" than a "tough guy" when you think of it...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Ash

Survives the evil dead, not once but twice in an isolated cabin. Kills his best friends once they become possessed. Saws off his own hand. Is sent back in time, fights off more deadites. One tough bad-ass.

Suspect's Reviews

Beowulf. the original badass?

Or any character he plays is a tough mofo

Welcome to the human race...
Ash

Survives the evil dead, not once but twice in an isolated cabin. Kills his best friends once they become possessed. Saws off his own hand. Is sent back in time, fights off more deadites. One tough bad-ass.
You forgot a few things - he gets possessed by the evil forces not once, but twice (when most other characters in the trilogy don't survive being possessed once). Not to mention being force-fed a miniature clone of himself, growing an evil clone from his own body, getting his face stretched by a couple of feet by a black hole - the list goes on.

'Sup with that 3rd pic'? Not too tough really..peverted yeah?

Unless it was in response to bandwidth theft... I'm not sure what was up with that picture... I remember reading the post earlier and am pretty sure I would remember if it had been there at the time...

Anyway, it has been removed...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

So my buddies and I started talking about the toughest guys in movies. So I wanted to throw it out there and see what other people had to say. Here's a couple.

Not in any particular order:

Dirty Harry
Batman
Kyle Reese (The Terminator)
Robocop
Darth Vader

JUST TO GET YA STARTED!
It's difficult picking the really tough guys in film because movies are all image and fantasy. For instance, just because he was big, ugly, drank alot, and played a tough Marine sergeant in the post-war production of Sands of Iwo Jima, everyone had the impression that John Wayne was a real tough guy. But Wayne took a deferment as a married man with dependents to sit out World War II. Whereas, short, slight, baby-faced Audie Murphy tried to enlist in the Navy and the Marines before finally being accepted in the army, won every type of Medal awarded by the Army during that war--some more than once, plus a few foreign medals--was badly wounded, returned home, and was honored as the war's most decorated hero in a parade in Dallas on his 21st birthday. Murphy was the real tough guy, not that slacker Wayne.