2019 NBA Playoffs

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I remember a few years ago when there were 3 of 4 upsets on the first Dayof the playoffs. Either last year or the year before..

I definitely wasn't expecting Brooklyn to beat Philly, especially with their Big 4. I just saw how Embiid and Johnson were on their cell phones during the game on the bench. Brett Brown heard their excuse (about an illness) but said it was totally unacceptable.

As for Toronto, they've lost their last opening playoff games, 9 out of 10 years. Lowry usually chokes in the playoffs, but they just got Gasol, and have had Kahwi all season, and as great as he played, he couldn't tie the game. I think the play before was worse. He could have made a floater, drawn a foul, but chose instead to pass up a good shot for a corner 3.. Fundamentals are dying out. You just don't do that, regardless of stats. Always get easy buckets. Move the ball around, tire the defense out, side to side, and if its there, shoot the 3.

Indiana-Boston should be good. I knew Boston wouldn't be as good. They were great last year, and took Cleveland to a Game 7, being one away from The Finals, but they were an entirely different team. Tough on defense, gritty, hungry young guys (who'd be much better if not for loss of minutes) whose offense consisted of team play. Someone was saying "They'll win the title, they didn't have their 2 best players", but I don't think they fit. They need the ball in their hands, and they aren't efficient on either end, especially defense, although there's been a little improvement from Kyrie, with the quick hands.

I can see OKC beating Portland, but Portland was upset the Pelicans last year, and this year, they lost Nurkic. Kanter can give you 20/20, but he isn't very mobile on defense, and is half the passer Nurkic was, who could do it all. CJ is coming back from an absence, but he should be fine.

I can't see Detroit beating the Bucks. I think every other underdog will lose, too.

If Embiid is hurting as much as it looked today, Philly could be in a lot of trouble against Brooklyn. It's too bad because they're built for the playoffs.

I think Toronto bounces back and wins in 5 or 6.

Celtics in 5

Yeah, BKN and ORL were relative surprises today, though TOR and PHI aren't known for recent playoff success, as was noted. I think the Spurs can take the Nuggets, and the Jazz/Rockets might be interesting as well. I have a feeling this year will be the end of the Warriors' run....just a feeling

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I didn't watch any, but I love it. All of the east teams are vulnerable. The only team I have a touch of faith in is the C's, but that's because Hayward is rounding back into form. The specter of Kyrie still looms over this team and the young players, waiting for him to say something and ruin the chemistry again.

Shout out to D.J. Augustine. I never claimed the Bobcats, never went to a game , never watched a game. That said, way to step on Toronto's throat.

Maybe it's me being out-of-touch, but these upsets never use to happen. I don't know if it's the way the game is played or officiated, but pretty sure this cements the East has no chance of winning the Larry O' this year.

I was a fan of DJ when he played for Detroit, and thought it was awful to trade him an more for Reggie 'friggin' Jackson. I only get ABC, and thought I recorded the Denver game.. I planned on waking up and watching the 4th quarter. I don't think they'll come out of the West - lack of playoff experience, and think the Spurs could beat them because of their experience. Pop loses half his players to retirement, free agency, or injury, but they always find a way.

I've been saying it (on other threads in the past), Kyrie is overrated, a bad fit... Last year, the Celtics were a GREAT team w/o Irvin and Hayward. Now they're back, and they've ruined the chemistry with their play or lack of it... Way too many box-score fans on the blogosophere.

I agree Matt, but I would also say that this Milwaukee team is fantastic. I'll put them in the Finals regardless of who comes out of PHI/TOR.

They were not a better team without Kyrie Irving no way no how. He played in 60+ games last year don't forget, and check out their road record without him. They made a nice run last year but the east was pitiful. The east is a beast this year and that's the big difference. Still, the Celtics were a massive disappointment this year due to maybe unfair expectations. Tatum will be a stud but he's still just a boy and Hayward is still not what he was when they signed him. I think they resign Irving and get Davis, Durant, or both. I could easily see the east taking it this year. The Warriors are as vulnerable as ever and if Durant is really hurt forget about it.

They were not a better team without Kyrie Irving no way no how. He played in 60+ games last year don't forget, and check out their road record without him. They made a nice run last year but the east was pitiful. The east is a beast this year and that's the big difference. Still, the Celtics were a massive disappointment this year due to maybe unfair expectations. Tatum will be a stud but he's still just a boy and Hayward is still not what he was when they signed him. I think they resign Irving and get Davis, Durant, or both. I could easily see the east taking it this year. The Warriors are as vulnerable as ever and if Durant is really hurt forget about it.
Besides the fact they were one game away from going to the Finals is something. They were playing the Cavs, who won the title the year before. Without their so-called two best players. Irving isn't a fit - he wants to dribble and dribble and take bad shots, which he did. He also sucks on defense, no matter how much you try to hide him. Definitely not a leader, he's always been a malcontent. After Kyrie and Gordon came back, the guys who played well last year didn't get many minutes, and it stunts their growth. They were a tough bunch, and on offense, you couldn't just focus in on one guy, or have defenders guarding the 3-pt line. They mixed it up with great cuts, passing, lots of hustle. Brad Stevens likes motion, and too many times Kyrie would not find the open cutter. Or there'd be times he'd take a bad shot after many dribbles, even though there'd be a mismatch. Also, the offense went through Al Horford in the playoffs last year, who is their best passer, plays well on defense, glue guy, good leader, team player. I just wonder what they do in the off-season. I mentioned last year around this time that Gordon wouldn't be worth trading, but Irving would have been, especially on an expiring contract to save a team who wants to get out of the luxury, or use to sign-and-trade, or a team that wants to rent him for a playoff run to then determine whether or not to resign him. I think Anthony Davis would be the best guy to try and get. I got the impression that Kyrie has been wanting to leave from the beginning of the season with their struggles. "I'll never go 8-22 again" and then goes 7-22.. If your shots aren't going down, get others involved. He never makes a hockey assist. I've seen many players like this who are stat-stuffers, who have such a high usage rate.. There's also a lot of things that aren't accounted for with numbers, such as the toughness Baynes can bring, or Marcus Morris, guys who were both in Detroit. They play both ends, tough as nails, good team guys, but the box-score fans who might not watch as much cultivate their opinion on those numbers.

Besides the fact they were one game away from going to the Finals is something. They were playing the Cavs, who won the title the year before. Without their so-called two best players. Irving isn't a fit - he wants to dribble and dribble and take bad shots, which he did. He also sucks on defense, no matter how much you try to hide him. Definitely not a leader, he's always been a malcontent. After Kyrie and Gordon came back, the guys who played well last year didn't get many minutes, and it stunts their growth. They were a tough bunch, and on offense, you couldn't just focus in on one guy, or have defenders guarding the 3-pt line. They mixed it up with great cuts, passing, lots of hustle. Brad Stevens likes motion, and too many times Kyrie would not find the open cutter. Or there'd be times he'd take a bad shot after many dribbles, even though there'd be a mismatch. Also, the offense went through Al Horford in the playoffs last year, who is their best passer, plays well on defense, glue guy, good leader, team player. I just wonder what they do in the off-season. I mentioned last year around this time that Gordon wouldn't be worth trading, but Irving would have been, especially on an expiring contract to save a team who wants to get out of the luxury, or use to sign-and-trade, or a team that wants to rent him for a playoff run to then determine whether or not to resign him. I think Anthony Davis would be the best guy to try and get. I got the impression that Kyrie has been wanting to leave from the beginning of the season with their struggles. "I'll never go 8-22 again" and then goes 7-22.. If your shots aren't going down, get others involved. He never makes a hockey assist. I've seen many players like this who are stat-stuffers, who have such a high usage rate.. There's also a lot of things that aren't accounted for with numbers, such as the toughness Baynes can bring, or Marcus Morris, guys who were both in Detroit. They play both ends, tough as nails, good team guys, but the box-score fans who might not watch as much cultivate their opinion on those numbers.
I definitely agree with some of the things you have to say about Irving, but the team last year reached their ceiling. Irving helps you win on the road against good teams. They won 1 game on the road last year in the playoffs, and they were lucky in that game. With the position they are in now, it is important to resign him because they can't just replace him. Irving, Davis, and Durant are all buddies and they could play together in Boston. To get A.D., it's going to take one of Horford of Hayward, one of Tatum or Brown(likely Tatum), Robert Williams, and the 3 best draft picks. Boston would also take back a bad contract, most likely Solomon Hill. Because of Durant's situation, Boston could actually get him on the cheap. GS is at risk of losing him for nothing. K.D. can opt in to his contract so GS can execute a sign and trade getting back what's left of Hayward or Horford, either would be a great fit, and Boston's remaining first round pick. It's a win win for both teams. With all the talk of Durant and Irving teaming up in New York, they could just as easily do it in Boston with a better supporting cast and a more solid organization.

Starters-
Irving
Smart
Brown or Tatum
Durant
Davis

They very well might lose Rozier for nothing, or they could execute a sign and trade for him, and maybe they could resign Morris.

If Irving doesn't sign, they will not trade for Davis.

I definitely agree with some of the things you have to say about Irving, but the team last year reached their ceiling. Irving helps you win on the road against good teams. They won 1 game on the road last year in the playoffs, and they were lucky in that game. With the position they are in now, it is important to resign him because they can't just replace him. Irving, Davis, and Durant are all buddies and they could play together in Boston. To get A.D., it's going to take one of Horford of Hayward, one of Tatum or Brown(likely Tatum), Robert Williams, and the 3 best draft picks. Boston would also take back a bad contract, most likely Solomon Hill. Because of Durant's situation, Boston could actually get him on the cheap. GS is at risk of losing him for nothing. K.D. can opt in to his contract so GS can execute a sign and trade getting back what's left of Hayward or Horford, either would be a great fit, and Boston's remaining first round pick. It's a win win for both teams. With all the talk of Durant and Irving teaming up in New York, they could just as easily do it in Boston with a better supporting cast and a more solid organization.

Starters-
Irving
Smart
Brown or Tatum
Durant
Davis

They very well might lose Rozier for nothing, or they could execute a sign and trade for him, and maybe they could resign Morris.

If Irving doesn't sign, they will not trade for Davis.

That's why I asked a year ago or so about all the contracts, especially the rookie deals that become bloated, especially with a HUGE increase in cap, hence, an increase in salaries. I think its great that Ainge has so many picks to move around for the right deal. I like Tatum and when he was the first option last year, he seemed to play real well. What do you think about last year's Celtics team beating the Bucks last year?

That's why I asked a year ago or so about all the contracts, especially the rookie deals that become bloated, especially with a HUGE increase in cap, hence, an increase in salaries. I think its great that Ainge has so many picks to move around for the right deal. I like Tatum and when he was the first option last year, he seemed to play real well. What do you think about last year's Celtics team beating the Bucks last year?
Last year was whole lot more fun than this year. As far as the Bucks, they just improved tremendously. This year's Bucks would've swept last years C's. They're a completely different team now and have been all year.

Does anyone have predictions? Looks like there might be THREE Game 7's. I'd pick

-GS
-Denver
-Toronto

I think Bucks will beat the Raptors, but lose to the Warriors in The Finals

I hope so. I just want a new champ, some more parity between the best teams.
Giannis seems to be one of the few stars who aren't divas, but I like Curry too.

I think a lot depends on Durant now. If the Warriors survive the Rockets without him and he stays healthy, Ill take the Warriors over the Bucks. If not, then this could be the Bucks year.

Yeah, I was all over the GS +7.5 line. Didnt take the money line but not too surprised they won outright.