Black Panther

→ in
Tools    

You know, as I was writing that I was like "I'll bet it's something fancier and someone's going to correct me."

Serves me right for saying it anyway, joke or no.

i would rate this movie 7/10.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
How come Black Widow is played by a white lady?
I bet someone was taken to a special room and flogged for missing this diversity opportunity!

I loved black panther. I only saw it once but definitely a great film.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I'm watching it now, I'll see how it turns out. I don't know anything about the comics, but coming in as a newcomer, doesn't it seem like a questionable move to a call a superhero 'Black panther', since the black panthers were the name of an extremist group in the 70s?

I'm watching it now, I'll see how it turns out. I don't know anything about the comics, but coming in as a newcomer, doesn't it seem like a questionable move to a call a superhero 'Black panther', since the black panthers were the name of an extremist group in the 70s?
In answer - the character's name was given by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in July of 1966 when he first appeared in Fantastic Four #52. He was named for the black colored leopards that inhabit Africa.

The Black Panther Party was formed in October of 1966. The political activist party was not named for the comic book character and the character had nothing to do with the militant party - though they shared a name, neither had anything to do with the other.

To avoid confusion or unintended associations with the political activists, Marvel Comics briefly changed the name of the Black Panther to Black Leopard. But the new name didn't catch on and the character was reverted back to his original name since he bore it first before the ascendance of the political activists and had a more rightful claim to the name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_..._(comics)#Name

Oh okay, but after watching the movie now,

SPOILER

The villain the movie feels that black people all over the world are being oppressed and wants to fight against the oppressors.

So even if the black panther group in real life was just a coincidence, is it a coincidence that the movie has themes in that are the same group's philosophy?

Well after watching the movie, I have to say that too, am one of those people who did not understand what all the hype is about. I don't think it's a bad movie per say, but I don't feel it's very good either, and sort of just in the middle, nothing more. I don't get why a lot of people have said it's one of the best superhero movies made, as I feel that at this point, that I have seen all these ingredients' before in other superhero movies, and it feels kind of tired at this point.

great movie I thought