Cricket's top 100 horror movies

→ in
Tools    

I've had Midnight Meat Train for years. Needless to say, I've yet to see it. Bloodsucking Freaks is terrible, but well done for having it on there. Monkey Shines is one I think I started to watch once, but we didn't get to the end of it and it went back to the rental unfinished.

Very surprising list so far. A lot of weird choices, or maybe not weird but defiantly different from your average picks. Good thing though, it makes this exciting and refreshing to follow!

But I wish you would leave a bit more text with the movies, cause since so many of them are either unknown or less known, it would be nice to hear why you liked them and why perhaps we should see them.
At some point you will see many of the same old choices; I think it's largely inevitable with a horror list.

I'm not the greatest at putting my thoughts into text, and I also don't want to risk dragging it out.

Thanks for following

At some point you will see many of the same old choices; I think it's largely inevitable with a horror list.

I'm not the greatest at putting my thoughts into text, and I also don't want to risk dragging it out.

Thanks for following
Know exactly what you mean.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Frozen was a really unexpected movie for me. It finds a way to be really tense and frightening all the way through. You wouldn't think based off the premise that it would be as good as it is.

I enjoy Monkeyshines as well.

85. Children of the Corn (1984)

Evil kids creep me out.

84. Creepshow (1982

Another from George A. Romero.

83. Piranha 3D (2010)

An over the top blast.

82. Silver Bullet (1985)

Werewolves and Gary Busey.

81. The Wicker Man (1973)

Like a couple others coming up, I may have seen this too late to fully appreciate.

Cricket, its great you are doing a list of horror films. I wish I could do that.. however, my taste in horror is foreign and a bit odd... but Im sure I could still recommend you some films if you would like them.

The Wicker Man is a masterpiece. Have you seen Village of The Damned? It's from the 60s and very similar to Children of the Corn.

Edit: Creepshow is great fun as well.

MovieGal-

I have some of your recs on my watchlist, but I'm getting to them slowly with all of the other current and upcoming lists and tournaments.

Hello101-

I have not seen it yet but I will definitely watch it for the 60's list.

The Wicker Man is a masterpiece. Have you seen Village of The Damned? It's from the 60s and very similar to Children of the Corn.

Edit: Creepshow is great fun as well.
There are two "Village of the Damned". I have seen the one with Chistopher Reeve, Mark Hamil and Kirstie Alley.. its from 1995 and I think Carpenter whacked it up. I havent seen the original.

You're much better at putting your thoughts into text than you realize. Since joining the forum, I've always enjoyed reading your responses to all the films you watch, especially when you expand beyond just two or three sentences. I'm not participating in the HOF, but I still follow it and read everyone's opinions on the nominees, and I think your participation and your thoughtful responses and contributions to the various discussions have made it a much more entertaining and enriching HOF than the previous ones. And your write-up on Jeanne Dielman several weeks ago, even if it wasn't the most insightful, is still one of the funniest posts I've read on this forum.

I think you and I have similar taste when it comes to horror, but the majority of the films you've chosen so far I've yet to watch. I assume that will change as you get closer to the top. Rest Stop always sounded like my kind of horror movie, but I guess the direct-to-video designation kept me from checking it out. I've never watched Donkey Punch, but I remember reading the back of the cover during one of my last ever visits to a video store. I'm not sure what kind of chicks would want to be punched in the back of the head just prior to orgasm, but apparently that's a thing or the term wouldn't exist.

I enjoyed Turistas and Frozen. Pirahna 3D was fun. I had heard a lot about how disturbing, repulsive and misogynistic Bloodsucking Freaks was supposed to be, and it certainly lived up to the billing. Quality-wise, it's not a good film, but I admire its depravity and it's my favorite of the films you've chosen so far.

Thanks Captain, that's nice of you to say

I caught Rest Stop on cable a few months back, and just realized today it was direct to video. It's one of those straight forward, violent movies of the modern era. I think you'd like it.

Nice to see some more obscure films on the list. I've only seen about half of them, so that's a few more to add to my monsterous horror watchlist.

Nice to see some more obscure films on the list. I've only seen about half of them, so that's a few more to add to my monsterous horror watchlist.
That's one of the cool things about horror movies; there seems to be a never-ending supply.

80. Burnt Offerings (1976)

Saw this at the movies when I was little and it scared the hell out of me.

79. Final Destination (2000)

I just picked the first to represent the whole series. There was one I didn't care for, but they're fun movies.

78. Deadgirl (2008)

This one is on the sick side.

77. Bad Dreams (1988)

Another forgotten 80's favorite.

76. The Conjuring (2013)

One of only a handful of ghost stories on my list.

Not much of a fan of Burnt Offerings, but it's Karen Black and Oliver Reed, so I don't mind watching it at all. Love seeing Bad Dreams and Final Destination here. Not seen The Conjuring or Dead Girl. I wouldn't mind seeing The Conjuring, though. I don't really know much about Dead Girl.

75. Triangle (2009)

This is a good combination of creepy and violent, and I loved the ending.

74. Don't Look Now (1973)

Like The Wicker Man, this is a great movie that I would've loved more if I had seen it a long time ago.

73. The Ring (2002)

Probably one of the scariest movies of the last 20 years. I still need to see the original.

72. The Birds (1963)

I don't know if I'd call this pure horror, but I love anything Hitchcock.

71. Halloween (1978)

I'm sure this is too low, but I haven't seen it in a while. Great villain, great music, and Jaime Lee Curtis.