TokeZa's Best of the Year List

→ in
Tools    

Lord High Filmquisitor
I seem to be averaging only about 2 movies seen that you list per year, but most of them are on my Watch List.

I love seeing both Hobo with a Shotgun (which was a great deal of fun) and Anvil! The Story of Anvil (which was also a lot of fun, in its own way).

While it's obvious that you liked it, could you comment a bit on Room 237? It's one that I've been going back and forth on wanting to see (I'm a bit touchy on documentaries in general and I've heard some mixed opinions about it).

I seem to be averaging only about 2 movies seen that you list per year, but most of them are on my Watch List.

I love seeing both Hobo with a Shotgun (which was a great deal of fun) and Anvil! The Story of Anvil (which was also a lot of fun, in its own way).

While it's obvious that you liked it, could you comment a bit on Room 237? It's one that I've been going back and forth on wanting to see (I'm a bit touchy on documentaries and I've heard some mixed opinions about it).
Those two movies are a lot of fun

For me Room 237 was also a lot of fun. If you like (conspiracy) theories, and obsessive people it could be something for you. The documentary isn't groundbreaking and if you want detailed / sober analysis of the Shining i would probably go elsewhere.

This is what i wrote in the foreign film thread:

This is my first encounter with Romanian New Wave films and what an experience it was. Brutal realism combined with long takes and a minimalist style makes it one of my biggest experiences in newer cinema. I am not a big reviewer but i can definitely recommend it to people who are interested in the dark side of human relations.

Michael J Anderson from Tativille explains it a lot better than me: "By virtue of one of the year's more comprehensive reinventions of film language, where a series of unmarked events - including a pair of double homicides - unfold within visually occluded beehive spaces, without the aid of narrative exposition, Puiu's essentially experimental Aurora pushes the default realism of the new Romanian cinema into truly novel (minimalist) territory. Puiu's Crime and Punishment has almost unparalleled staying power."
Don't get me wrong. I love the director's previous film The Death of Mr. Lazarescu, so I was quite disappointed after I saw Aurora. Do check out another Romanian film 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days if your haven't.

By the way, I agree with you that Camille Claudel, 1915 is the most impressive film of 2013 so far. Great to see that film on your list.

Don't get me wrong. I love the director's previous film The Death of Mr. Lazarescu, so I was quite disappointed after I saw Aurora. Do check out another Romanian film 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days if your haven't.

By the way, I agree with you that Camille Claudel, 1915 is the most impressive film of 2013 so far. Great to see that film on your list.
I think that 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days is even better than Aurora

Camille Claudel, 1915 is vastly superior to the other films i have seen this year, but there are still movies like A Touch of Sin that i haven't seen.

Lord High Filmquisitor
For me Room 237 was also a lot of fun. If you like (conspiracy) theories, and obsessive people it could be something for you. The documentary isn't groundbreaking and if you want detailed / sober analysis of the Shining i would probably go elsewhere.
Now when you say conspiracy theories, is this along the lines of the alleged Poltergeist movies curse (extra-film theories), or more like how James Bond is a codename and each actor in the series portrays a completely different character (intra-film theories)? The former would be something that I would probably not be terribly interested in, but the latter might be something that I would enjoy.

Im not quite sure if understand it correctly, but i would say that its mostly the former.... Most of the theories showed in the movie are pretty farfetched.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I think that 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days is even better than Aurora

Camille Claudel, 1915 is vastly superior to the other films i have seen this year, but there are still movies like A Touch of Sin that i haven't seen.
Missed a chance to see A Touch of Sin this weekend in New York because my girlfriend doesn't do violence, kicking myself. That's the film I'm most looking forward to since it looks like Koreeda is weak sauce again. You should check out at least one of the two Hong Sangsoo films this year, always playful.

Missed a chance to see A Touch of Sin this weekend in New York because my girlfriend doesn't do violence, kicking myself. That's the film I'm most looking forward to since it looks like Koreeda is weak sauce again. You should check out at least one of the two Hong Sangsoo films this year, always playful.
The only Hong Sangsoo film i have seen is The Day He Arrives from 2011. I thought that was pretty meh... Can you recommend something by him?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Room 237 is basically worthless as a serious discussion of Kubrick and The Shining, but it does depict the lengths filmwatchers will go to blend their personal feelings and agendas with their most-beloved films. How much you get out of it probably depends on how much you like these fans and their revelations of the "truth".

Lord High Filmquisitor
I think that I'll check it out at some point, then. It seems, if nothing else, interesting.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I really really want to see The Death of Mr. Lazarescu. I just dont think i have the time right now. I just bought a pass for the CPH : DOX festival. So the next weeks itll be documentaries and a few art films curated by Ai Weiwei.
Sounds better than my next couple weeks

The only Hong Sangsoo film i have seen is The Day He Arrives from 2011. I thought that was pretty meh... Can you recommend something by him?
I'd recommend HaHaHa (the literal translation being SummerSummerSummer) and The Virgin Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors. I don't think they're tremendous films, but they're really fun and interesting formal experiments with narrative. They also have a strange visual schema filled with sustained two-shots and zooms.

I'm afraid I don't have a Bulgarian film for you, however, if I can point you in the direction of Hungary, you might like this.

Kontroll

2008:

1. Three Monkeys by Nuri Bilge Ceylan

2. Flight of the Red Balloon by Hou Hsiao-Hsien

3. Les Plages d'Agnès by Agnès Varda

4. 35 rhums by Claire Denis

5. Hunger by Steve McQueen

2007:

1. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days by Cristian Mungiu

2. Stellet licht by Carlos Reygadas

3. My Winnipeg by Guy Maddin

4. There Will Be Blood by Paul Thomas Anderson

5. RR by James Benning

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
There's never too high for Bela Tarr.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Must be doin sumthin right
Great list, even if the Import/Export & Eastern Promises ratings are a bit too low.

2007 was an amazing movie yr. 4m3w2d especially is an all-timer for me. Dinner at the boyfriend's family's house is the most unbearable, knot-in-your-stomach incredible scene in any movie I've seen.

Out of curiosity have you seen any of The Edge of Heaven, Death Proof, We Own the Night, A Girl Cut in Two, Gone Baby Gone, Margot at the Wedding, The Last Mistress or You, the Living?

Great list, even if the Import/Export & Eastern Promises ratings are a bit too low.

2007 was an amazing movie yr. 4m3w2d especially is an all-timer for me. Dinner at the boyfriend's family's house is the most unbearable, knot-in-your-stomach incredible scene in any movie I've seen.

Out of curiosity have you seen any of The Edge of Heaven, Death Proof, We Own the Night, A Girl Cut in Two, Gone Baby Gone, Margot at the Wedding, The Last Mistress or You, the Living?
I have seen Death Proof, but it was a long time ago and i cant really remember it. Therefore i havent actually rated it. Its not something im planning to revisit, as far as i can remember it wasnt very good.

Gone Baby Gone is at best mediocre in my world. I actually am a quite big crime / mystery buff, so i did see it. That might also explain the rather high rating for Zodiac

I was actually really disappointed by You, the Living. I was a huge fan of Songs from the Second Floor and i really like the style and aesthetics of Roy Andersson. Especially his use of what you might call Tableau's. However You, the Living never really came together for me and i though it was a bit of a mess. Afterall i must say it had some great scenes and i rated it

The others i havent seen and some of them i havent even heard of!

Im starting my movie watching for 2006 soon, So far i have planned to see Inland Empire by David Lynch, Climates by Nuri Bilge Ceylan and Opera Jawa by Garin Nugroho. If anyone have some suggestion, considering my taste in films, i would be very pleased!