TokeZa's Top 100 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
Return of the Living Dead - Not a fan of this one. I've noticed that the 80s comedy/horror genre isn't one I'm usually a fan of.

Friday the 13th - I saw this when I was in 4th grade. It scared the pee pee out of me then, but I haven't seen it since.

Child's Play - My response to this one is almost a combination of the first two I mentioned. Except I saw this when I was in 1st grade and I had to sleep with the light on. But I saw this recently and kind of hated it.

The Beyond - Okay, here we go. This is more my cup of tea. After I saw it, the ending stuck in my head for days.

Re-Animator - This one turns my theory of not enjoying 80s comedy/horror on its ear. Brilliant film this one is.

Jaws - Obvious classic.

Deep Red - I saw this after watching Suspiria, I loved Suspiria. This however, let me down. I really should watch it again though. I might have been a little harsh.

The Fog - I miss John Carpenter making good horror films.

28 Days Later - I understand that I'm not supposed to call them zombies, because zombie fans get cranky. But these zombies are terrifying.

An American Werewolf in London -

Day of the Dead - Most seem to have this at the bottom of the trilogy, but I have it second to Night.

The Omen - seemed appropriate but only because :boreddevil: doesn't do anything.

Hellraiser - I liked it, but to be honest, I am surprised that so many other people do. Slow paced horror isn't as well received usually. But good choice nonetheless.

In the Mouth of Madness - Really inconsistent film. Some parts great. Some parts boring. Throw in a little camp. Weird pacing. I should probably watch this again though.

Freaks - This one is a bit weird. Sadly that lead to Browning's early demise, as I guess people didn't know what to make of it. So they just cried foul. Good film, though I wish they wouldn't have added the happy ending.

The Fly - My second favorite horror film of the 80s, second only to The Shining.

Henry - My third favorite horror film of the 80s!

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - I'm getting chills thinking about the screech at the end again.

Tenebre - I royally screwed up before I watched this. I accidentally read a semi-spoiler that pretty much acted as a complete spoiler. It still didn't ruin the movie for me, but trying to figure out who the killer is was taken from me. So maybe I'll never really appreciate it the same way.

You have a lot on here that I still need to see. Good list so far. Looking forward to see how it plays out.

28 Days Later - I understand that I'm not supposed to call them zombies, because zombie fans get cranky. But these zombies are terrifying.
They are the infected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is really a great list!

The Re-Animator, *Jaws, American Werewolf, The Omen, Hellraiser, The Birds, The Fly, and Poltergeist are amongst my favorites.

Henry is really good but a tough watch.

I also really like Humanoids From the Deep, The Human Centipede, Dead Ringers, the Dawn of the Dead remake, a Nightmare on Elm Street, The Entity, Bride of Frankenstein, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

I enjoyed The Blob, Childs Play, 28 Days Later, and Funny Games.

The only one I didn't enjoy was Day of the Dead.

Most of the others are on my to see list.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Many of these would be on my list if I were to do a horror specific list and a few of them are on general favorites list.

40:

The Hitcher (1986) by Robert Harmon

39:

The Vanishing (1988) by George Sluizer

38:

Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens (1922) by F. W. Murnau

37:

Carrie (1976) by Brian De Palma

36:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) by Robert Wiene

35:

The Devils (1971) by Ken Russel

34:

Hour of the Wolf (1968) by Ingmar Bergman

33:

Halloween (1978) by John Carpenter

32:

Scanners (1981) by David Cronenberg

31:

Aliens (1986) by James Cameron

Hour of the Wolf is a good horror, but Halloween is one of the worse slashers I've ever seen. +rep anyways though.

Are we calling The Devils a horror film now? That's even less credible than Silence Of The Lambs, IMO. Despite that, it's a great film and I am pleased to see it on a list of some kind. Are you a fan of Ken Russell? I wouldn't call Spoorloos a horror film, either, though I think it's great.

Other than that, + rep for The Hitcher, Halloween, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Nosferatu and Carrie.

There is room for films that are hybrid films - Silence of the Lambs is seen by a lot of people(including me) as a Horror/Thriller(psychological thriller) for example. You didn't comment on The Hitcher, and that's more or less in your 'not really horror' catagory also going by what you have said.

If The Hitcher is allowed, Spoorloos is most certainly allowed.

Let the night air cool you off
The Vanishing - I just saw this for the first time earlier this month, it blew me away. Fantastic film with a horrifying ending.

Carrie - Classic.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - Incredibly stylish horror film for being made during the infancy of feature length films.

Hour of the Wolf - I've only seen three Bergman films (this, Persona, and The Virgin Spring) and so far nothing has clicked for me. I enjoyed The Virgin Spring, but even then it didn't feel like anything special. Maybe I am missing something, or maybe Bergman is overrated. I don't know yet.

Halloween - Classic.

Scanners - Some fantastic special effects. Head explosions!

Aliens - Sorry, but I really hate this movie. I feel like they took everything good about the first movie and just threw it away.

You didn't comment on The Hitcher, and that's more or less in your 'not really horror' catagory also going by what you have said.

If The Hitcher is allowed, Spoorloos is most certainly allowed.
Personally, I wouldn't include The Hitcher as a horror film, but I do see it often classified as such, so I let it pass.

Looking back at the list, there's plenty I wouldn't call horror, however, the one I really should've added was Aliens. Definately not a horror film, unless you mean the horror of having to sit through it. Call it sci-fi, call it a war film, but it ain't horror.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
The horror genre really isn't one I'm all that big a fan of so the large majority of these I've not seen. There are however a few that I've seen and loved - Jaws, The Fog, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Fly, American Werewolf in London and The Hitcher

Anyway the main reason I'm posting is to let you know that I've added your list to the genre specific section at the collection of film lists - MoFo Members' Favourite Films Lists. Good effort mate.

The horror genre really isn't one I'm all that big a fan of so the large majority of these I've not seen. There are however a few that I've seen and loved - Jaws, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Hitcher
For the record, they're not horror either.

Too many awesome choices in here to name, though I'm especially enjoying the love for Cronenberg and Argento. My local arthouse is playing Spoorloos in a few weeks, I think I might have to check it out.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
For the record, they're not horror either.
I'd probably agree, which is probably why I actually like them!

[quote=jiraffejustin;888369
Aliens - Sorry, but I really hate this movie. I feel like they took everything good about the first movie and just threw it away.[/QUOTE]

Looking back at the list, there's plenty I wouldn't call horror, however, the one I really should've added was Aliens. Definately not a horror film, unless you mean the horror of having to sit through it. Call it sci-fi, call it a war film, but it ain't horror.
Damn haters..i nearly pissed my pants when i was a youngster. Besides Total Recall and Akira its one of the movies ive seen the most. Def. a classic in my world.