Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Only 2-1/2 stars for one of the best baseball movies ever made?!
I'm a Yankee hater, and even I rate it higher than that.
It's not gbgoodies fault that baseball is so boring.

Serena (2014)

A dark romantic drama with a hint of mystery, Serena was character driven and atmospheric. Overall I thought that the movie was well composed, but I couldn't help feel that something was missing. Nothing felt properly explained or understood. Perhaps they tried to cover too much ground, but it seemed more like a summary of what happened than a real story. There were lots of scenes that were really good on their own, but the movie as a whole didn't fully come together. The characters all seemed more complex than what was shown, like it was hinted at, but just left to the viewer's imagination. For example, how did they fall in love in the first place? He saw her off in the distance and was mesmerized by her beauty. Then he just rode up to her and said they were going to get married. And in the very next scene they were in love, just like that. It's not really a spoiler since it's shown in the trailer and happens very early in the movie. But it was one of those things that you would expect the movie to contain more than the trailer, and it didn't really. The trailer also gave me the impression that his wife vanished half way through the movie and he was looking for her, but that wasn't the case at all. I wanted more, and felt unsatisfied at the end. It was still an enjoyable movie, and looked good visually.

Didn't know much about it other than it's horror and it was supposed to be good and it was very good. I don't know if I ever had this much sympathy for an animated character before. Really well made all the way around.

Vivre Sa Vie (1962) - 6.8/10. Watched it Saturday night. It is definitely a bit on the abstract side. But a fine film. Anna Karina was sweet. The ending is a bit sudden. Definitely worth a watch. There is a conversation at the end with the lead actress and an old man... It was sheer poetry! And the old man was in the movie just for that scene!

Weekend re-watches

6th or 7th rewatch...This 37 year old Best Picture Oscar winner still packs an emotional wallop...James L. Brooks edgy screenplay and direction are a big plus here. MacLaine and Nicholson's Oscar-winning performances still dazzle, but the performance I find myself attracted to with each rewatch is Debra Winger...this performance fascinates because it is so beautifully unaffected...you never see her "acting"...that scene where son Teddy (Huckleberry Fox) visits her in the hospital still leaves me in a puddle.

Just about everything in this romantic comedy works except for the leading lady....romantic comedy is just not Diane Lane's thing.

Welcome to the human race...
Southland Tales -

hot take: I think I prefer this to Donnie Darko

Hannie Caulder (1971)

-

Like a lot of westerns, this one starts out with something horrible happening. Raquel Welch is the star, so you could call it a rape and revenge film instead of just a revenge film. She's not a great actress, but if anyone doesn't have to be then it's most definitely her. She does a good enough job though, with plenty of help from Robert Culp, Ernest Borgnine, Jack Elam, Strother Martin, and Christopher Lee. I'm really not sure how good it actually is but I thoroughly enjoyed all 85 minutes. It's got some nice action and even a few good laughs.

Re-watch. So good. Love Joaquin & Reese really deserved her Oscar.

An American Crime (2007) - 6.5/10. Not sure how to rate this. It is a TV Movie after all. As a movie it is more or less by-the-book telling of the story from the police files. So it feels a bit dry at times. But then again if the director took liberties, it might turned out into a melodramatic plot. The performances carry the film through. It is definitely worth a watch. Can't believe people like this exist. And the kids too. All deranged!

Has Ellen Page aged yet??

T-Men (1947, Anthony Mann)

Much of this movie felt like a propaganda piece (the opening nearly took me out of it completely) but, overlooking that, this is actually a very good noir, beautifully shot by the great John Alton.

Arkansas (2020)

Director: Clark Duke; Stars: Liam Helmsworth, Clark Duke, Vince Vaughn, John Malkovich, Vivica A. Fox, Michael K. Williams.

This clever film had a mind numbing 30 producers/exec producers, and 6 production companies. Possibly this was to “spread the risk” a little for a movie which had a first feature director and a cinematographer who was also new to feature films.

It’s a Coenesque story with clever dialogue, and quirky drama. There were several twists in this offbeat tale of Dixie drug dealings which held one’s interest, but whose length at 115 minutes could probably have been trimmed a little in the middle to maintain pacing.

Duke, who directed and co-wrote, starred as Helmsworth’s partner, and was an odd bit of casting (as in Twins), but it was acceptable in a quirky picture. This was not too far off from a bullseye, but Helmsworth’s character might have been better cast, and the middle seemed to drag a little.

Doc’s rating: 7/10

An American Crime (2007) - 6.5/10. Not sure how to rate this. It is a TV Movie after all. As a movie it is more or less by-the-book telling of the story from the police files. So it feels a bit dry at times. But then again if the director took liberties, it might turned out into a melodramatic plot. The performances carry the film through. It is definitely worth a watch. Can't believe people like this exist. And the kids too. All deranged!

Has Ellen Page aged yet??
I wouldn't call it a TV movie, but anyway The Girl Next Door is the same story and just as good or better.

Avengers: Infinity War: 10/10

Not an MCU film to be watched too often though.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Music Man (1962)

You seem to dislike a lot of great movies. The Music Man is another one of my favorite movies that you gave a low rating.