MovieBUFFering's 101 Favorite Movies - 2019

→ in
Tools    

Unforgiven - 1992

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
Hey! We have entered the top 30. So this movie when I originally completed this list was in the 80s. Right before I was going post it I sat down and watched it and was like sh*t that is entirely to high in the countdown. I hadn't sat down and watched the film in forever, always catch the end on tv, which is freaking classic. But I sat down and watched it and was like yea I have to move this thing towards the top. 30 might be to high if I watch it again.

Eastwood is the God damn man and a national treasure. I think this is the crowning achievement in Clint Eastwood's career. He by no means slowed down after this film but this was the culmination of his career up to that point, especially all of his westerns. Pretty much a mic drop on that part of his career. This movie is beautifully shot, incredibly acted and unforgettable if you have seen it. Eastwood as a an outlaw that had cleaned up because of a women and settled down with a family plays it wonderfully. Morgan Freeman is great as well as Gene Hackman as the sheriff. I suppose you could call him a villain but the lines be blurry. The whole cast was wonderful.

The end of the movie is one of the best scenes in cinema history to me. I posted it down below, might spoil if you haven't seen it, so don't watch it if not. It is just Eastwood at the peak of his Western powers, in total control. Just oozing of charisma. I'll let someone much more articulate than me wax on about the themes and meaning of the movie but I just think it's an incredible piece of art. Should definitely be on anyone's list of films you have to see before you die.

Director - Clint Eastwood
Best Performance - Clint Eastwood as William Munny
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 96%
Factoid - This movie put to rest Clint Eastwood's longstanding statement why he would never win an Oscar. Eastwood reckoned he would never be in the running because "First, I'm not Jewish. Secondly, I make too much money. Thirdly, and most importantly, because I don't give a ******." Since his double Oscar win for this movie, Eastwood has gone on to win two more Oscars, as well as an Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award, and has been nominated an additional six times.
Stock In Countdown - Riser

Memorable Scene

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Inglourious Basterds - 2009

"You probably heard we ain't in the prisoner-takin' business; we in the killin' Nazi business. And cousin, business is a-boomin'."
This to me is Tarantino's best movie. Most people would probably say Pulp Fiction and no doubt that movie is amazing but this feels like a culmination of his talents. From his story telling to the way the movie was shot and the dialogue it all just feels like QT at the peak of his powers. Pulp Fiction was amazing but feels amateurish compared to this flick.

QT and Waltz created one of the most memorable villains ever in Landa. He is the most terrifying villain ever because he also so God damn charming as well. The suspense created in some of these scenes is a master class, especially the opening scene. But I tell you what Brad Pitt is a close second to me for the most memorable performance. I am still mystified how he pulled off saying "arrivderci" in a southern accent . He was outstanding in the movie. In fact Pitt is my favorite part of the movie but no doubt Waltz had the meatier role. There are a ton of memorable scenes. QT just has an amazing feel for suspense and dialogue and this is it at it's peak.

To me like I said this is QT's best movie. It flexes all of his powers. I haven't seen his new film I just don't see him reaching these heights again. But I sure as hope he keeps trying There are a ton of great performances in this film from countless people and I think that's all due to QT's ability to write such great characters.

Director - Quentin Tarantino
Best Performance - Christoph Waltz as Hans Landa
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 89%
Factoid - Quentin Tarantino was considering abandoning the film while the casting search for someone to play Colonel Hans Landa took place, fearing he'd written a role that was unplayable. After Christoph Waltz auditioned, however, both Tarantino and producer Lawrence Bender agreed they had found the perfect actor for the role.

Memorable Scene

I love Inglourious Basterds, it's my second favorite Tarantino.

Win Win - 2011

"Okay. So the move is "Whatever the f*ck it takes." Let's go. Let's work on it."
Second Tom McCarthy movie to make my countdown surprisingly after Spotlight. Win Win is a fun little movie to me. Just feels real. Feels like a real family that faces these real problems. There are just a ton of fun characters in it. Paul Giamatti is terrific as a struggling New Jersey lawyer and wrestling coach. The most fun character in the movie is Bobby Cannavale's character. He is great comedic relief. Him fawning over Alex Shaffer's wonderboy wrestling star is great every time Which brings me to Shaffer's character. He is a first time actor and by no means a great thespian but he didn't have to be for this role. Just had to be adequate and he was and created a memorable character. He was a wrestler so he added legitimacy to that part of the role. Oh and Amy Ryan is great as Giamatti's Jersey wife

Think I just enjoy this movie so much because it shows how sports can help people's humanity. Shaffer's character is lost and in a broken home. He accidentally stumbles into Giamatti's family and it improves both their lives through sport. It connects and shows people's humanity. Guess I am just a sucker, but I really dig this flick. It's well acted, cool little story, great characters and feels real.

This movie is very underrated to me. Think it should have got a lot more award consideration then it did. If you are looking for an under the radar film you probably haven't heard of to watch I'd give this one a gander.

Director - Tom McCarthy
Best Performance - Alex Shaffer as Kyle Timmons
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 94%
Factoid - Alex Shaffer was indeed the New Jersey state high school wrestling champion the year before the film was made. However, he had to quit the sport due to a back injury.
Stock In Countdown - Neutral

Memorable Scene

Men In Black - 1997

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."
Come on who doesn't like Men In Black? Well just the 1st one, the proceeding sequels get progressively worse. Well, never mind a girl I am talking to doesn't like it, never even seen it. How is that possible at our age?!? Anyways the next couple movies will be a run in blockbusters I must admit.

This movie is so much fun to me. I was a huge Will Smith mark back in the day, not so much anymore, still like him. He is at the peak of his charming powers in this flick. Smith's silly naive new to the Men In Black nature goes great with Tommy Lee's seen it all jaded personality. They both are so memorable and work so well together I had to pick them both as best performances. The movie just works incredibly well. Vincent D'Onofrio's turn as Edgar/Alien is fantastic, might be my favorite part of the movie . It's just a weird movie that some how works. "Edgar. You skin is falling off your face"

So many memorable lines and scenes. "We are not hosting an intergalactic kegger". The Noisy Cricket. The neuralyzer was cool as well. It's just a classic blockbuster in every sense of the word. It's had staying power every since it came out. Hell they just made a new one 22 years after the 1st one came out. I just don't think they will every be able to top the magic of the first one. The cosmos just came together to make a fun flick. It's just an ultimate 90s movie to me.

Director - Barry Sonnefeld
Best Performance - Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones as Agent Kay and Jay
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 92%
Factoid - Vincent D'Onofrio researched his role as Edgar by watching a lot of bug documentaries. In order to achieve his character's distinctive walk, he put on knee braces so he couldn't bend his legs, and taped up his ankles.

Memorable Scene

Think I just enjoy this movie so much because it shows how sports can help people's humanity. Shaffer's character is lost and in a broken home. He accidentally stumbles into Giamatti's family and it improves both their lives through sport. It connects and shows people's humanity. Guess I am just a sucker, but I really dig this flick. It's well acted, cool little story, great characters and feels real.

I also think this is an underrated gem. Parents don't have to be Superman and Wonder Woman, the kid's life improves just being around people who care about him, although Amy Ryan does do a nice impersonation of a momma Grizzly bear.

Home Alone - 1990

"I made my family disappear"
Well this is a classic in every sense of the word. Another Xmas movie on here. Christmas just lends itself to good cinema I suppose. If you are my age or around it you have seen this probably a billion times. Even if you aren't my age it's on every day in December. It really is a timeless movie as far as I am concerned. I don't remember seeing it in theaters but I remember my parents saying they took me and were not impressed by it in theaters. However when it started to play on tv all the time they started to dig it.

Macaulay Culkin may have had the most prolific child acting career in all of cinema history and this is his crowning jewel. He just radiates charm on the screen. This movie doesn't work as well if he wasn't so damn good in the film. He must have a had a crazy life. He seemed to be a bit weird and awkward coming out of his child actor stage but seems to be normalizing now. To have the world at your hand at like 10 has to do some damage to your personality ha.

Pesci had a helluva 1990 with this movie and Goodfellas. Him and Stern make a great combo as idiot house thefts. Harry and Marv . The wet bandits! "Marv, he is just a kid we can take him!" The two of them and Culkin really make this movie hum. I am pretty sure everyone has seen this movie so I shall move on. But it's always fun to watch it when it comes on.

Director - Chris Columbus
Best Performance - Macaulay Culkin as Kevin McCallister
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 65%
Factoid - Joe Pesci kept forgetting that he was filming a family movie during his character's on-screen outbursts, so Chris Columbus advised him to say "fridge" instead of the "f" word.

Memorable Scene

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Curse Of The Black Pearl - 2003

"Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid."
You have to start with Depp when you talk about this movie. Johnny Depp made one of the most iconic movie character ever in this flick as Captain Jack Sparrow. He is absolutely engrossing as Sparrow. He was born to play it, you can't take your eyes off him on screen. Especially in the first Pirates movie. It set the character up so incredibly well. You never know what his motives are, who he will betray and what he is up to. The whole movie you never know his next step. His mystery is part of his appeal. It's just a fantastic portrayal from his acting to the writing of the character. Truly one of the most memorable characters in cinema history.

Now the movie itself is just tremendous action adventure movie. The video down below does an excellent job explaining why this movie might accidentally be genius. There really isn't a wasted scene. It all is contributing to the story, that's why it is so riveting. Even the actions scenes while fun are explaining story points while they entertain you. It's just a masterclass in blockbuster film making to me. You are being completely entertained and engaged the whole time.

Can't leave out Geoffrey Rush's Captain Barbossa. He is completely entertaining as well and a worthy villain to Depp's Sparrow. Bloom and Knightley are both adequate in the flick, they serve their purpose. But the real reason you stay tuned is because of Jack and his motives. The sequels were ok but got too bogged down in too many characters for me. I thought the 2nd one was the best of the sequels then they just progressively got worse. That's why this film might be accidentally genius. They were never able to reach the heights of this first film, because this film is blockbuster 101.

Director - Gore Verbinski
Best Performance - Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 79%
Factoid - Robert De Niro was offered the role of Captain Jack Sparrow, but he declined, thinking that the movie wouldn't do well in the box office as many other pirate movies in the past. He was proven wrong, and so he accepted the role of Captain Shakespeare in the movie Stardust (2007).

Memorable Scene
(Video essay explaining why this movie is so good. Think it's worth a watch, but if you haven't seen the film don't watch it)

Jurassic Park - 1993

"If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously. I'm simply saying that life, uh... finds a way."
My blockbuster movie run comes to an end with this one. Who the hell doesn't like Jurassic Park? Jaws was considered the first blockbuster, and this feels like Spielberg learning from it and putting Jaws on steroids. Spielberg just gets spectacle like few directors do. The way he introduces the T-Rex is what big blockbuster spectacle should be. You are on the edge of your seat the whole sequence and many others in the movie. His choice to use practical robotic dinosaurs really makes the difference. Audiences can tell the differences between practical and special effects. This might be Spielberg's most well known movie in his long illustrious career. That's saying something. (Not my favorite Spielberg but I'll get to that )

All the performances are fine but this movie really isn't about the cast. Just seeing dinosaurs run around with humans gets your imagination running wild. This movie can make any cynical person happy for a couple hours. The real stars of the movie are the dinosaurs. It's a really easy movie to watch and the story actually feels like a plausible way to put dinosaurs in the modern world. Jurassic Park is always a fun watch. The sequels, especially the new ones, not so much.

Director - Steven Spielberg
Best Performance - Sam Neill as Dr. Alan Grant
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 91%
Factoid - Harrison Ford was offered and turned down the role of Dr. Alan Grant, as he felt that the part just wasn't right for him. After seeing the movie, he says that he had made the right decision.

Memorable Scene

Dazed And Confused - 1993

"I came here to do two things. Drink beer and kick ass. Looks like we are almost outta beer"
Have ya'll seen this movie? Be a lot cooler if you did. . It's funny how all the minor characters played by those actors all kind of blew up after this film. Affleck and McConaughey being the obvious one. But Adam Goldberg and Milla Jovovich and probably a couple others I can't think of right now. I always tend to forget about this movie then I catch it on and it always makes me laugh. It's really quotable as well. As you can tell by my signature . McConaughey himself has like 10 memorable lines and of course the "Alright, alright, alright".

The movie is just a real simple formula. A relatable story and characters plus memorable quotes. It's just executed really well by Linklater who has had a great career since. Saw a quote where he wanted to make an inverse to a John Hughes movie, I'd say that is a great description . The older I get the better it gets as well. Dazed and Confused will always be one of my favorite flicks.

Director - Richard Linklater
Best Performance - Mathew McConaughey as Wooderson
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 91%
Factoid - Reportedly one-sixth of the film's budget was spent on acquiring the rights to 1970s pop hits on the soundtrack.
Stock In Countdown - Sinker

Memorable Scene

More free movies waiting for you to watch

Aladdin - 1992

"Know this. Only one may enter here. One whose worth lies far within. A diamond in the rough."
This is the king of the animated movies on this countdown. It is my favorite animated movie. Obviously I am bias but I think this is the most entertaining movie Disney has ever done, specially animation wise. A lot of it obviously boils down to the great Robin Williams. His Genie turn is clearly the best part of the movie. It's so damn good and entertaining it will never be forgotten. He sort of changed the game for what can be done in an animated movie. There was sort of a formula in doing animation and he just burned it down.

Aladdin, Jafar, Jasmine, Abu, Iago, Genie. Hell even the tiger Rajah is memorable. All the characters have become indelible in cinema history. That's why everyone was so excited for the remake (I wasn't I wish they would leave these damn movies alone). It's because it means so much to so many people around my age. Also the songs in the movie are my favorite from any Disney animated movie. "Friend Like Me", "One Step Ahead", "Show You The World" are all classics.

I am sure there is a healthy debate to be had about the greatest animated movie/Disney animated movie. But to me this is the one. It's so God damn entertaining. Never get tired of watching it.

Director - Ron Clements & John Musker
Best Performance - Robin Williams as Genie
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 95%
Factoid - During the course of recording the voices, Robin Williams improvised so much they had almost sixteen hours of material.

Memorable Scene

Aladdin's good but nowhere near a favorite. It's my 6th favorite Disney (Fantasia, Pinocchio, Beauty and the Beast, Bambi, and Wreck-it Ralph all beat it out).

Almost Famous - 2000

"I didn't invent the rainy day, man. I just own the best umbrella."
This movie always feels like it gets over looked. I am not sure why it works so well. It sort of has the generic music movie feel to it but it doesn't at the same time. I think maybe the performances are so strong it overcomes the cliche movie plot points. I am not sure someone much more articulate than me can figure it out. Maybe it's viewing all these shenanigans through the lens of a high school boy is what does it.

Kate Hudson is the real gem of the movie. She is great as Penny, the head of the groupies on tour with the band. It's a shame she could never reach these heights again, but this was her best performance by far. Billy Crudup is great as the lead man and Patrick Fugit does wonderful as the wide eyed high school journalist. Those three really make the movie with their chemistry. Also strong performances by Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Frances McDormand, Jason Lee and fun cameo type showings by Zooey Deschanel, Jimmy Fallon and Anna Paquin. It's a really fun stellar cast on top of their game.

I think it works so well because it is semi-autobiographical of director Cameron Crowe when he would tour with bands as a young journalist for Rolling Stone. It just feels confident like the movie knows what it's talking about, that comes through experience I suppose. I guess that's why it feels different, the confidence in which the story is told. It's just a fun little flick that takes you back in time. It gets better the older I get.

Director - Cameron Crowe
Best Performance - Kate Hudson as Penny Lane
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 89%
Factoid - The film is director Cameron Crowe's semi-autobiographical account of life as a young Rolling Stone reporter. The actual group Crowe first toured with was The Allman Brothers Band. Gregg Allman distrusted him, and kept asking if he was a narc. Crowe was in a near-fatal plane crash while traveling with The Who. The character of Russell Hammond is based on Glenn Frey of Eagles.

Memorable Scene

American Beauty - 1999

"It's a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself. Makes you wonder what else you can do that you've forgotten about."
Even with Kevin Spacey being disgraced now he is still my hero in this movie. It gets better the older you get and have to go through sh*tty jobs. I love how he just says screw it and tears down his perfect American suburban life . It is heroic! He seemingly has it all and just goes to no f*cks given mode, my favorite mode. Obviously Spacey was great in the flick because this earned him an Oscar. The performance and the role and what it stands for alone makes this one of my favorite movies.

To be honest I haven't seen it in quite awhile so I need to revisit it soon. All the artsy stuff with the bag floating around and stuff is whatever, not really my bag (see what I did there). But it's a famous shot from the movie. Everyone else in the film is really good as well. The ending is kind of a bummer but I'll always love this movie for what it stands for about being genuine and not putting on a facade of happiness and doing it in an entertaining way. Shame Spacey is such a perv, he was a huge talent.

Director - Sam Mendes
Best Performance - Kevin Spacey as Lester Burnham
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 87%
Factoid - The title of the film refers to a breed of roses that while pretty and appealing in appearance, is often prone to rot underneath at the roots and branches of the plant. Thus, the tagline "... look closer" tells the viewer that when they look beyond the "perfect suburban life" they will find something rancid at the root.

Memorable Scene

List Review

101. Super Troopers
100. Arrival
99. Social Network
98. Bowfinger
97. Blade Runner
96. Napoleon Dynamite
95. Full Metal Jacket
94. Looper
93. Animal House
92. Gladiator
91. Moneyball
90. Austin Powers
89. Spotlight
88. Inside Out
87. The Jerk
86. Titanic
85. Mystic River
84. Naked Gun Trilogy
83. Back To The Future
82. True Grit
81. Anchorman
80. Saving Private Ryan
79. Inside Man
78. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
77. Interstellar
76. Creed
75. The Big Lebowski
74. Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation
73. Superbad
72. Goodfellas
71. Gone Baby Gone
70. Jerry McGuire
69. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
68. Memento
67. Dumb and Dumber
66. Hoosiers
65. Rush Hour
64. The Departed
63. Office Space
62. Jumanji
61. Wind River
60. Guardians Of The Galaxy
59. Insomnia
58. Little Giants
57. Django Unchained
56. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
55. The Lion King
54. Up
53. Goon
52. Wonder Woman
51. Me, Myself and Irene
50. V for Vendetta
49. Wall-e
48. Liar Liar
47. Good Will Hunting
46. The Ninja Turtles 90s Trilogy
45. Cedar Rapids
44. 500 Days Of Summer
43. Ratatouille
42. Pulp Fiction
41. Elf
40. Inception
39. The Hangover
38. L.A. Confidential
37. Wedding Crashers
36. The Fugitive
35. The Avengers
34. Life
33. Toy Story
32. Meet The Parents
31. Batman Begins
30. Unforgiven
29. Inglourious Basterds
28. Win Win
27. Men In Black
26. Home Alone
25. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Curse Of The Black Pearl
24. Jurassic Park
23. Dazed And Confused
22. Aladdin
21. Almost Famous
20. American Beauty

Countdown Stats

Most Frequent Actors - Matt Damon (5)
Most Frequent Director- Christopher Nolan (5)
Films By Decade
1970s - Two
1980s - Six
1990s - Twenty Eight
2000s - Twenty Six
2010s - Twenty

Honorable Mentions (Just Missed Countdown)

Someone pointed out to me that my honorable mentions aren't showing up. It looks fine when I look at it so I don't know what the case is. Anyways, I don't feel like going back and redoing the pics if they are screwed up. It was 2001, Remember The Titans, Fargo, The Negotiator, Four Brothers and Joker

Coming down the home stretch. Final 20! If anyone still cares . At this point it's principle that I finish. Hopefully be done by December and I can put my top ten on my profile again. . Getting down to the movies I could watch over and over again.

Dallas Buyer's Club - 2013

"Sorry, lady, but I prefer to die with my boots on."
The peak of the McConaissance! Man he was burning red hot when this movie came out. This coupled with Interstellar was him at his peak of his comeback. I saw an interview where he started to only take roles that scared him and man did it pay off with this flick. Ron Woodroof was made for Mathew to play. He was so damn charming as Ron you couldn't take your eyes off him. I don't think there was a second on screen I wasn't smiling while he was on screen. The subject material is actually sort of dark but man they make it entertaining as all hell.

Him and Leto won Oscar's for their performances. (lol like to see the uproar they would have now with Leto winning for a trans person). Leto was great as a transwoman suffering from aids. Jennifer Gardner is also great as the doctor taking care of McConaughey's character. Steve Zahn also shows up in a small role. I always enjoy him But this movie is all about McConaughey's performance. He doesn't disappear in the role, well except his weight loss, but the part is just suited for his Texas personality. It's like McConaughey on personality steroids. It freaking entertaining .

I thought Jean-Marc Vallee did a great job directing. I don't think they had the highest budget for it. The coolest scene to me is when McConaughey goes into that vault with the butterflies, it's such a cool shot, it's the header on my profile if you want to check it out. It's also cool because it's based on a true story. I mean I am sure they exaggerated a few things but it's cool to learn about this dude. I just think the movie is super entertaining and inspiring really. Definitely earned it's spot in the top 20.

Director - Jean-Marc Vallee
Best Performance - Mathew McConaughey as Ron Woodroof
Rotten Tomatoes Score - 93%
Factoid - The film's budget was so low that the makeup budget was only $250.00. The makeup artists were able to work with that amount, and the film still won an Oscar for Best Makeup and Hairstyling.

Memorable Scene
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	DallasBuyersClub2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	58333