MoFo Nostromo's Picture Show Reflections

→ in
Tools    

Well it's not that I've never seen anything of him. I've seen clips and bits and pieces here and there, but never a film of his from start to finish. They've not appealed enough to really make me desperate to tackle them but I'll have a look someday. In fact the closest I've come to a full film is Chaplin with Robert Downey Jr. Another reason I've not seen any of his films in full is that I don't imagine they're ever actually on TV.
Eh, Chaplin's overrated. But if you want to check out his work, I recommend The Kid.

Eh, Chaplin's overrated.

Anyways, I really enjoyed Rear Window myself. I actually found it quite suspenseful at times, which really impressed me. It's one of my first Hitchcock films, and I have plenty left to watch.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

There Will Be Blood, City Lights and Rear Window are all great films. The first two have two of the best, most memorable endings I have seen albeit very different ones. Whilst I like Rear Window a lot, I think there's a lot of Hitch better than it, although I should probably give it a re watch

going a slightly different direction than i'd planned. this one has been weighing on my mind recently

every man gets what he wants

Apocalypse Now
(Francis Ford Coppola, 1979)

During the U.S.-Viet Nam War,
Captain Willard is sent on a dangerous mission into Cambodia
to assassinate a renegade colonel
who has set himself up as a god among a local tribe

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Most are familiar with the horror story that was the making of Apocalypse Now... Francis Ford Coppola almost lost his mind, Martin Sheen almost died from a heart attack while filming, Marlon Brando showed up to the set in the Philippines without reading the script or the book it was based upon, Heart of Darkness. It took 3 years before they finally finished the film

the synth score piece, composed by Francis' father Carmine Coppola, (which i've provided at the bottom of this post) ... combined with the imagery below, produces my favorite transition i've seen in the movies. this transition of course precedes one of the great uses of music in film, Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries. yet somehow i'm more impressed by this visual transition and the accompanying synth score moreso than the Wagner

it never feels like a war documentary or something. it is cinematic, pure cinematic, and i love that about it

You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours
when it was all over, i walked up. we didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body
the smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. smelled like ... victory

Conclusion: I do think the third act is a bit weaker than the first two... yet for me, the sheer audacity and scope of the movie overcomes that. people just don't go to these lengths to make a film. it's so ambitious and on the edge. it's not like it's shot on some backlot or in some studio... with the director and crew casually lounging around luxuriously in the air conditioning in a comfy chair with their cups of coffee, etc. they went into the jungle, into the wild. And afterwards Coppola scaled back his ambitions when it came to the scope of his movies... and it's pretty safe to say he never came close to anything in the ballpark of Apocalypse Now again... yet with this picture, he shed light on a compellingly ambitious visionary style of storytelling

9.0 / 10

I agree with you about the third act but still tremendous. One of my ten or so favorites.
thought about it for a moment, and man that generation of filmmakers in the 1970's and 1980's really kicked butt...

Kubrick with a Clockwork Orange, the Shining, & Full Metal Jacket
Coppola with the Godfather, Godfather II, the Conversation, & Apocalypse Now
Scorsese with Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, later GoodFellas, among others
Spielberg with Jaws, Close Encounters, the Indy flicks, ET, etc
Lucas for his involvement with Star Wars and Empire, regardless of what happened after
Ridley Scott with Alien and Blade Runner
Carpenter with Halloween and the Thing
Polanski with Chinatown
Forman with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

i'm sure i'm forgetting some, but dang... those guys are giants and cast long shadows... have to say... that generation of filmmakers kicks the current generation's big-fat-butt

Don't forget Altman. I love The Long Goodbye and Nashville. Lumet- Serpico and Dog Day Afternoon.

The 70's are tremendous and I still have tons to watch.

the funk of forty thousand years
& grizzly ghouls from every tomb
are closing in to seal your doom
and though you fight to stay alive
your body starts to shiver
for no mere mortal can resist
the evil of the

Thriller
(John Landis & Michael Jackson, 1983)

A night at the movies turns into a nightmare
when Michael and his date are attacked
by a hoard of bloody-thirsty zombies

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088263/

for some, this may be hashed out and tired via re-runs... but lucky for me, i pretty much never watched MTV growing up. in 1983, this was MTV's first world premiere music video, released on December 2nd. it is also the first and only music video to be selected for the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress. it is the most successful music video of all time, selling over 9 million copies

the short was directed by John Landis, who of course nailed the whole werewolf thing with an American Werewolf in London (1981). at this time, commercial motion-picture directors did not direct music videos, but John Landis was intrigued. with Thriller, Landis saw an opportunity and hoped to bring back the theatrical short, "i saw it as a chance to resurrect a genre that had once been a Hollywood staple"

love the voiceover narration by Vincent Price as well, an icon of horror thanks to his work on films like House of Wax (1953), House on Haunted Hill (1959), House of Usher (1960), and Theater of Blood (1973), among others

Sometimes, when a film or song is made... you just unleash a person's talent. that's what this is, and pretty much every pop singer and music video since has tried to emulate it in some way

Rating: *Timeless* / 10
-

I remember watching the Thriller video when it first premiered and it was awesome. John Landis is actually one of my favorite directors with 4 films in my top 40; American Werewolf, Blues Brothers, Animal House, and Trading Places. He had another big hit with Coming to America but then kind of fell off the radar. Vic Morrow passed away in an accident on the set of one of his films, and he was kind of blackballed from Hollywood. It's kind of an interesting story.

This was the film that got me interested in film. It has a special place in my heart. MTV wasn't in Europe then, but Channel 4 showed it, once, at midnight. I remember coming downstairs and recording it. I genuinely have no realistic idea of how many times I've seen it. And then, they released The Making Of Thriller and movies became serious.

what an excellent day for an exorcism
you would like that?
intensely

the Exorcist
(William Friedkin, 1973)

when a teenage girl is possessed by a mysterious entity,
her mother seeks the help of two priests to save her daughter

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070047/?ref_=nv_sr_1

How does one write a review about such a notorious classic film and expect to bring anything new to the table? Well i suppose i don't expect to, so what you will get here is the interpretation and reflections of a viewer who is fresh off a first viewing. one who knew little about the movie going in aside from the hazy mythical cultural associations such as the vomiting demon-possessed girl, a convulsing bed, & head-spinning... what this review will also strive to provide is a viewpoint which brings no biases in the form of religious belief or lack of religious belief

where to begin? first i must say, i chose to watch the Theatrical version first, so i haven't seen the spider walk yet. i like to start with the theatrical version on any film with an extended cut so i first see the movie as audiences did when it was released. on re-watches i may turn to the extended/director's cuts

can i say i enjoyed the movie the Exorcist? hmm, in the usual sense of the word, i wouldn't classify this film on those terms. honestly, and this is what went through my head as i watched, i'd liken this film to almost a kind of drug-induced experience. from the very beginning, despite an initial perhaps slow and deliberate pace, it draws you in, and makes you curious... so that you can't pull your eyes away, like a magnetism. as it unfolds, the movie taps into unexplored territory in the brain/psyche. could sense/feel it happening. weird stuff ensues that i wouldn't have imagined in a nightmare... such as a possessed little girl stabbing herself in the nether regions with a crucifix, etc

all that being said, i very much liked the character Father Damien Karras, played by Jason Miller. from the beginning you can tell, this is a guy who is worn out by his line of work as a jesuit psychiatrist. he's had enough of having to sort through people's deep-seated issues and wants out... which he tells his supervisor early on in the story, who talks him into sticking with it. little does he know the motherload of dilemmas lies ahead with regan

whether this is necessary or not, i'll wrap spoilers here, as i wouldn't have wanted to accidentally read this part in passing before seeing the movie

WARNING: "the Exorcist" spoilers below
the ending seems to be at least somewhat ambiguous. the way i interpret it, Father Karras handles his dilemma in the best way possible... coaxing the demon out of regan and into himself. then sacrifices himself by jumping out the window. while this mends the situation for the time being as far as saving regan... i'd say it doesn't eradicate demons/evil and it doesn't necessarily ensure that regan won't be possessed again in the future. not saying that with sequels in mind as i have no clue what happens in those & i don't intend to seek them out... it is simply my insight/understanding of the story

Conclusion: this is a movie that deserves its elevated notoriety among horror films, as well as with the powerful pieces of film-making overall. i'd say that even among the newer generation, who may be prone to sneer at the notion of a film maintaining its compelling quality 41 years later, it still packs its punch. the Exorcist, while using conventional symbols of good and evil such as priests, scripture, the devil, etc, to deliver its story, taps into the plausibility of spiritual forces on our world... as this is a movie based on a book by William Peter Blatty, centered around the real-life exorcism of Roland Doe, a victim of possession treated by the Catholic Church. i haven't read much at all into this aspect, but intend to. too bad i didn't see this one prior to making my top tales of terror countdown, as it would have cracked the top 5.

10.0 / 10

fun with film history: this was an extremely successful movie financially in 1973. it made $441 million at the box office, despite a humble $10.5 million budget (generating 42x's its budget). it won two Oscars, one for best adapted screenplay (Blatty), one for best sound (Knudson, Newman), and was the first horror movie ever to be nominated for best picture. it lost to the Sting, a very different kind of movie i also liked

I've said it many, many times, but this is still the best made horror film in history. Have I seen all the horror films ever made? No. Do I need to? No.

It's also a fantastic example of physical effects. Surely even the most pro-"CGI is amazing!" fanatic couldn't fail to see just how unreal The Exorcist would look if made today and, if the film looked unreal, then, IMO, it'd strip it of most (for me, read all) of its power. I feel it'd look funny or cartoonish. Certainly unreal and being able to believe in The Exorcist is what makes it what it is. I don't mean the religion. I don't believe in a God or a devil or possession or any of the spiritual/religious parts of the film. But you have to think it's happening in the world the film creates, IMO.

It's a superb piece of filmmaking, IMO, and, sadly, they really don't make 'em like that anymore.

is this heaven?
no, it's Iowa

Field of Dreams
(Phil Alden Robinson, 1989)

an Iowa corn farmer, hearing voices, interprets them as a command
to build a baseball diamond in his fields;
he does, and the Chicago Black Sox come

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097351/?ref_=nv_sr_1

before i liked movies, before i liked girls.. i loved baseball.. starting at the age of maybe 4 or 5 years old, and it's the first thing i recall enjoying. i'd play in the backyard or in the street with my brothers and our neighbors. these were great times. from this time until the age of 12 or so, playing baseball for fun and in 'little league' was bigtime. maybe it sounds dumb, but where i grew up, it was. the coaches were super into it, even at that age. watching Field of Dreams brings me back to those times, and simply reminds me how much i enjoy the game of baseball

i learned, some years back, that this movie's foundation was based upon Carl Jung psychology... centering around the concept of the collective unconscious- defined as the part of the unconscious mind that is derived from ancestral memory and experience and is common to all humankind. i was fascinated by this. i won't go too in depth on the subject here, though entire books have been written on it. some of you may know a lot about this sort of thing already. for those who don't, you may find it fascinating, as i did. it deals with symbols, images, and reflections common in all our collective dreamworlds... it's been said that Batman and symbols like that were derived from Jungian psychology. it's worth the time to look into if you're intrigued

Conclusion: This is among the best baseball movies for me. along with Major League (1989), a more humorous take on the game, as well as the Natural (1984, with Robert Redford. perhaps a more cliché take, but i still like it). Field of Dreams is a movie that will always take me back to my roots, my childhood. and as goofy as it sounds, it's a movie that makes me happy while watching

8.0 / 10

I love Field Of Dreams. It's one of those films you can join at any time and feel as if you've seen it from the start. You're into it right away and it creates a wonderful world for its characters and the audience. It's a warm hug of a film.

BTW, have you not seen Bull Durham or A League Of Their Own? Bull Durham is my favourite baseball film and I had it on my 80's list. I mention that only because there's no chance of it showing up in the top 10 and, therefore, it missed the list.

BTW, have you not seen Bull Durham or A League Of Their Own? Bull Durham is my favourite baseball film and I had it on my 80's list. I mention that only because there's no chance of it showing up in the top 10 and, therefore, it missed the list.
i've seen both. and liked them. had a crush on Dottie Hinson, League of Their Own, when i was 8 years old or so

favorite quote coming to mind from Bull Durham - 'Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes.. it rains,' by Tim Robbins' character. his delivery cracks me up there

Field Of Dreams is my fave baseball movie. I concur with HK on Bull Durham and A League Of Their Own. I would add Eight Men Out and although most dont, I really like The Rookie as well.

On a similar note, have you guys seen the trailer for Million Dollar Arm. I love Hamm but it looks terrible. Im sure I will see it opening week.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I absolutely adore Field of Dreams! One of my true favourites of all time. And I'm also a big fan of Bull Durham and A League of Their Own.

since this will get lost in the 250+ pages of the 80's countdown, & bc i spent some time in prepping it, re-posting here

in honor of the MoFo #1 film of the 80's! which i didn't even contribute to bc i submitted my list too early

i, and others, have come to believe.. that your heart is not in this
that you haven't the belly for it

the Shining
(Stanley Kubrick, 1980)

it's not often i see a movie with a young kid in it, playing a prominent role, who actually manages to not be annoying... bc they are written well, casted well, & guided with the right amount of care, tact & skill by their director. the first movie that sticks out for me, where i genuinely actually like a young kid in a movie.. is Enzo Staiola in Bicycle Thieves (1948)

the second is Danny Lloyd in the Shining

could ramble on about this film, and waste everyone's time... yet really it's simply this, each minute is crafted and packed with care and skill. script, pacing, lighting, music, overall execution... the 1st act sets everything up, and as it reaches its 2nd & 3rd acts, the Shining continuously tops itself, through the command of Stanley Kubrick and his cast of actors and crew. which is what anyone should strive for in whatever it is they do

... Room 237, Jack & Lloyd in the bar, Delbert Grady 'you've always been the caretaker' ← (my personal favorite), All work & no play makes Jack a dull boy, , 'little pigs, little pigs, let me come in!' Danny chased in the snow by axe-wielding minotaur-in-the-maze Jack Torrance, frozen Jack at dawn, leading up to the final shot at the 1920s ball, 'Midnight, the Stars & You' by Henry Hall & the Gleneagles Hotel Band

Why don't you want to talk about it?
i'm not s'pposed to
Who said you ain't supposed to?
tony
Who's Tony?
tony is a little boy that lives in my mouth

* certified 100% popcorn bags out of 100 *
my #1 movie, any decade

Torrance-family portrait