ash_is_the_gal's Top 100

→ in
Tools    

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
mark, i've been meaning to ask you. are you still updating your Top 100 list? i noticed some movies on there with no numbers on them. i was thinking of doing the same thing with mine. i know i'll see movies in the future that i'll love and want to give some love!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yes. Partway through my list, I mentioned that if I had made the list any other day, I could have switched out at least half of the films, so Tatty suggested making a Top 200. I decided that I'd add other films which were worthy of being in my Top 100, so I keep adding them, and I will continue to do so. I didn't see the point of making it a separate thread because then it'd be out of context. I also don't see the point of changing up the numbers, but when the total number of films gets to a big round number, I may change the title of the thread to increase the number above 100.

that seems like a pretty good idea, and i think i'll do the same. i noticed you added The Last Picture Show recently, did you only just see it?

No. If you look at my previous addition, Easy Rider, I mentioned that I first saw those two films together as a reissued double bill. I believe it was 1973 or 1974. 1973 was the first year I could legitly get into R-rated movies by myself. I just rewatched it specifically so I could add it to the list. I'm sure I've seen Easy Rider at least 25 times and The Last Picture Show a good dozen.

left to go: my top 20. anyone have any guesses as to what could be in there?
I can honestly say that I think any guess I made would be an exercise in redundency. Looking forward to it though. Good to see Chinatown on your list. Class film. I'd have it higher, so I'm really interested to see what's coming up.

Yes. Partway through my list, I mentioned that if I had made the list any other day, I could have switched out at least half of the films, so Tatty suggested making a Top 200. I decided that I'd add other films which were worthy of being in my Top 100, so I keep adding them, and I will continue to do so. I didn't see the point of making it a separate thread because then it'd be out of context. I also don't see the point of changing up the numbers, but when the total number of films gets to a big round number, I may change the title of the thread to increase the number above 100.
sounds good. the only thing that makes me apprehensive about occasionally adding movies to my list is: i'm terrible at writing reviews. it just doesn't come naturally to me, and if i only add one or two at a time, i'll feel more obligated to actually say something about them. but the thing is, there are a lot of movies out there i haven't seen. some really obvious good ones, too. i've never seen Jaws, for instance. please, no one scream at me for that, there's probably 50 more out there i haven't seen yet that i should have. and last night, i saw American Werewolf in London for the first time ever. [loved it, would have put it in my list if i could have].

the thing is, i wasn't allowed to see pretty much anything as a kid, except for mainly PG, and even at that it was a bit limited. my Mother was what you could call overbearing. i had a lot of catching up to do, but i only really got into movies around 21-ish.

but yeah, i'll probably throw 11-20 up sometime tomorrow!

Love Secretary... absolutely love it.

Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)

"F*ck you. That's my name."

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

"Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for."

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

"Remember me. Try your best; maybe we can."

Sideways (2004)

Half my life is over and I have nothing to show for it. Nothing. I'am thumbprint on the window of a skyscraper. I'm a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage.

A Room for Romeo Brass

"One beat, two beat three beat, sugar beat. Four beat, five beat, six beat, wheat-a-beat. Seven beat, eight beat, nine beat, heartbeat. My heartbeat, my heart is beating for you."

Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995)

"They found her tu-tu!"

United 93 (2006)

Of the four aircraft hijacked that day, United 93 was the only one that did not reach its target. It crashed near Shanksville, Pennsylvania at 10:03am. No one survived.

Pans Labyrinth
El Laberinto del fauno(2006)

"I am Princess Moanna, and I am not afraid of you."

The King of Kong (2007)

"I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. I play video games, which I think is a far superior addiction to any of those other ones."

Sophie's Choice (1982)

"I was 22, and a virgin, and I was holding in my arms the goddess of my dreams."

Damn, and I was a little anxious about showing you King of Kong - and so were you when I told you it was a documentary about Donkey Kong hi-scores.

You're slacking.

Children of Men (2006)

"As the sound of the playgrounds faded, the despair set in. Very odd, what happens in a world without children's voices."

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

"I think that it wasn't enough to just want to see Uncle Henry and Auntie Em - and it's that - if I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with! Is that right?"

The Sound of Music (1965)

"These walls were not meant to shut out problems. You have to face them. You have to live the life you were born to live."

Aladdin (1992)

"Do not be fooled by its commonplace appearance. Like so many things, it is not what outside, but what is inside that counts. This is no ordinary lamp. It once changed the course of a young man's life. A young man, who, like this lamp, was more than what he seemed. A diamond in the rough."

Spirited Away
Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (2001)

"I finally get a bouquet and it's a goodbye present. That's depressing."

25th Hour (2002)

"Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends."

Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)

"He's all right! Aren't you, cat? Poor cat! Poor slob! Poor slob without a name! The way I see it I haven't got the right to give him one. We don't belong to each other. We just took up one day by the river. I don't want to own anything until I find a place where me and things go together. I'm not sure where that is but I know what it is like. It's like Tiffany's."

The Station Agent (2003)

"It's funny how people see me and treat me, since I'm really just a simple, boring person."

Muriel's Wedding (1994)

"I could see your wheels."

Amélie (2001)

"I am nobody's little weasle."

Very nice and somewhat unexpected Top 10. Without immediately going into detail, The Wizard is already in my top 100, and six others here should go into my alternative list. So, you've either been warned or thanked, or both.