the Best and Worst day of your life

Tools    

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i'm always anxious about starting new threads, because i'm always worried no one will ever respond to them!

i was thinking about this earlier, and i thought it would be interesting to hear what the worst and best day of your life is [thus far] and why?

i'm encouraging responses that are descriptive and detailed, not one sentence paragraphs.

uh, i'll name my own after i'm satisfied with the amount of responses i get.

I can't decide on the best... I know the other one...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Well this thread immediately brought a certain "fish out of water" western to mind . .. . tough to say . . . .I actually think that the "worst" one will be tougher! But I'm young so I guess I can look forward to it.

I'll be back.

i thought peoples answers would be interesting because i'm assuming, at least for most, both the worst and best days are 'defining moments' in a persons life. it'd be interesting to see if peoples best days are similar things. when i think of the 'best day' of a persons life, i expect most to say the birth of their children, or the day they married their spouse. i've done neither of those things, so that wouldn't apply to me obviously [or other people like me]. but i'd like to hear, in detail, about those days, and why. that's all!

i think what Caitlyn says really rings true. i know immediately what the worst day of my life was--the best, though...

i think i hold my expectations so high that nothing is good enough to be 'the best'.

Trouble is that its easy to talk about the best day of your life on a public messageboard, but the worse day is certainly bound to have upsetting memories that you probably don't want to share with people you don't know in real life.
I know I wouldn't feel easy about giving a descriptive and detailled response about some of the worse days I've had - and yeah as you get older there's more than one worse day, sadly.
Conversely there's also more opportunities to have had best days so I'd nominate the day 30 years ago I first looked across the room and saw the lad I fell for on first sight. Then the birth days of my two sons - they're my best days, and the best things that's ever happened to me

It's an interesting premise for a thread, Ash, I like it.

I really did have no hesitation in being able to grab a best and worst from my past. In thinking about it though I realized that the bad brought good with it that wouldn't have happened without the bad event. Seems like an easy question and maybe I'm making too much of it.

Bad:
Jan 25, 1984. I was almost killed on a motorcycle and my body has never been the same. I'm still having surgeries to correct the damage. The good of it though is that it made me tougher and a whole lot more independent.

Good:
Hands down the births of my kids. No associated evils with that except when my daughter is tired.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
i i expect most to say the birth of their children, or the day they married their spouse. i've done neither of those things, so that wouldn't apply to me obviously [or other people like me].
I haven't done either of those things either, and am having trouble coming up with a "best day" I am a happy person though and have a whole lot more good days than bad, so I guess that is what counts.

The worst day is easy. My best friend died almost two years ago. He was the kind of friend that doesn't come by very often. He felt like an extension of myself and I miss him dearly.

I guess on the flip side of that, my best day would have to be the day I met him.

The day I met my boyfriend was a very good day too, but I am young and I don't think either of us think that each other are the person we will be with for the rest of our lives. So it's not quite the same as finding the love of your life.

Jan 25, 1984. I was almost killed on a motorcycle and my body has never been the same. I'm still having surgeries to correct the damage.
Urgh. I hate those things. Do you still ride them? I'd make all motorcycles illegal if I could. Sorry, but they're DANGEROUS! I'm gonna have all of these Easy Rider types after me now - and biker chicks.

Not sure what my best and worst days are. I guess my twentieth birthday is closest to being the best day.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Best Day- Got a girlfriend

Worst Day- She dumped me

Well, wait they were the same day

OVERLOAD, OVERLOAD

Trouble is that its easy to talk about the best day of your life on a public messageboard, but the worse day is certainly bound to have upsetting memories that you probably don't want to share with people you don't know in real life.
yeah, i thought about that. when i think of what my worst day is, i don't feel ready to jump into a detailed description of what happened either, because its personal. its down to two defining days for me, though, and one of them i wouldn't mind sharing.

still deciding on 'the best'

Bad:
Jan 25, 1984. I was almost killed on a motorcycle and my body has never been the same. I'm still having surgeries to correct the damage. The good of it though is that it made me tougher and a whole lot more independent.
jesus, this is why i hate motorcycles! do you still ride regularly? my parents are yuppie bikers and every summer they vacation in the Carolina's and ride around in the mountains, and it makes me hell of uneasy. and it didn't help that before they went for the first time, my Mother sat me down and explained about her life insurance and what me and my sister would get and her will. just in case she died in the mountains, i guess. talk about morbid.

and you're right, Toose. almost always, the bad brings along a lot of good. one of the worst days of my life was when i found out my boyfriend was cheating on me with my best friend, and if that had never happened, i would have never moved back to Florida, never became independent, and never have fallen in love with the amazing man i'm with now. so i don't take it back. even if it did create a lot of issues with me!

er... yeah.

I don't ride any more.

I had my dad go get the bike from the scrap yard and I fixed it up (18 months later when I didn't have pins sticking out of my leg) rode it once and sold it.

I've ridden dirt bikes since and took one ride on a buddy's crotch rocket and that's it. I KNOW the risk now.

I am half agony, half hope.
Best day: Graduating college. The knowledge that I wouldn't have to be dependent on another person or welfare to get by was a great feeling. My mom was a single mother and we were on welfare for years until she met some guy she decided to move in with to help her out. My sisters have always depended on men, too. It never turns out well. Let me tell you, I love my husband even more knowing that I'm with him because I want to be, not because I need to be.

Worst day: Just recently we found out our son has been messing with pot. I can't tell you how devastated I am about that. When your kids have successes, you share in that, but when they have problems, you feel like a failure as a parent. I always associate drugs with kids like my friends and I were, with one parent who was struggling just to make ends meet, and not keeping tabs on their kids as well as they could. I didn't see this coming.

Johann von Goethe

Worst day: Just recently we found out our son has been messing with pot. I can't tell you how devastated I am about that. When your kids have successes, you share in that, but when they have problems, you feel like a failure as a parent. I always associate drugs with kids like my friends and I were, with one parent who was struggling just to make ends meet, and not keeping tabs on their kids as well as they could. I didn't see this coming.
may i ask how old your son is?

The People's Republic of Clogher
I don't ride any more.

I had my dad go get the bike from the scrap yard and I fixed it up (18 months later when I didn't have pins sticking out of my leg) rode it once and sold it.

I've ridden dirt bikes since and took one ride on a buddy's crotch rocket and that's it. I KNOW the risk now.
My dad doesn't have any cartilage left in his knees because of 20 years racing motocross (which would be the same as dirt bikes, yeah?) bikes.

I guess that it's a bit like heroin - we all know the risks but some still choose to do it. Opening up the throttle and your stomach feeling like it's being forced into your spine just can't be replicated in a car.

Heh, this is no lie - while typing this I'm listening to the local news on the TV: "A man has been killed in a motorcycle accident in Co Down" - that Morissette woman could write a song totally failing to grasp the meaning of irony because of things like that...

Welcome to the human race...
Best Day- Got a girlfriend

Worst Day- She dumped me
Pretty much the same as that. I'm young and lucky enough not to have anything seriously bad happen to me.

I'm going to save the best for last...

THE UGLY: The late 80's when my oldest sister was killed in a car wreck. No matter how many years pass, it still feels like it was yesterday and I think about her every day. Had she been wearing her seatbelt, there was a very good possibility that she might have made it… so, I hope you guys will understand that if I ever catch any of you without your seatbelt on, you're in for one serious butt whipping from me…

THE BAD: I'd also like to add that in the summer of 2005, we were notified that my brother had been seriously injured in Iraq (some of you may remember when I took a little trip to the middle east)… Thankfully, the Doctors misjudged what a hard-head he is and he's fine now… had the outcome been different, I would never have been able to pick between the two which day was the worst…

THE GOOD: There are many days I could name but one of the ones that was very special to me was in 2004, when my niece was born. My sister had had a very hard time of it and was in the hospital over 72 hours before my niece finally put in an appearance… with a look that I can only describe as mischievous on her face… and, believe me, it's still there… and she really is… and I am her Godmother...

So now, you know a little more about Caity... and for the record, I know motorcycles are extremely dangerous... but... I still kinda have a wee bit of a weakness for them...

I'm going to save the best for last...

THE UGLY: The late 80's when my oldest sister was killed in a car wreck. No matter how many years pass, it still feels like it was yesterday and I think about her every day. Had she been wearing her seatbelt, there was a very good possibility that she might have made it… so, I hope you guys will understand that if I ever catch any of you without your seatbelt on, you're in for one serious butt whipping from me…
wow, Caity, i had no idea. how old was she, may i ask? and how old were you when it happened? i really can't imagine losing my sister. we aren't nearly as close as i wish we were, but there is still a special bond you share with siblings that you could never share with another human being no matter how hard you try.

i'm going to share mine.

bad: i already mentioned a few posts up about one of them, so i'll mention the other one now. i can't really pinpoint the exact day, but it was somewhere around August/September of 98. i was twelve years old, and it was the day my Mother sat my sister and me down and told us we were moving to Florida, and she was going to remarry a man i had only met once. it literally was the worst thing i've ever been through. it was just so devastating. my Mother tried to appease me by saying we'd never have to worry about money again, we would live near the beach, and i'd probably make a lot of friends, but i knew it was nothing she could guarentee. to really try to make anyone understand why this was so awful for me would mean to go into many, many things that are just too confusing and too long to type here. some days i still wonder if i could go back in time, would i change moving to Florida if i could have? i go back and forth on that one all the time. the cynical side of me thinks that if my Mother had kept us in Massachusetts, i'd have found and appreciated much more of life than i have now, and i'd still have my spirituality. but i know everyone i love and cherish now i would have never met. its like asking a single Mother if she would go back in time and have an abortion to her pride and joys, just so she could have her life back.

good: my knee-jerk response is to say it was the very first day i met my first love, Ryan. being in love for the first time is an irreplaceable feeling, man. even though i'm not with him anymore, that feeling of being sixteen-years-old and in love can never be matched. but deep down, i don't think i can really deem that 'the best day of my life'. i think honestly, the greatest day for me hasn't happened yet, because i'll know so positively when it does.

how old was she, may i ask? and how old were you when it happened?
I was ten and she was six years older... 'twas just a bunch of kids with too little experience behind the wheel who thought they were invincible...

I really get upset that you feel like a failure as a parent, because it's simply not true. Weed isn't being addicted to heroin or crack; it's less damaging than alcohol, if anything. Chances are you've been a wonderful parent, and your kid smoking pot has nothing to do with your skills.

Edit: obviously, due to one of my best days below, everyone's going to think I'm a pothead idiot, but while I do smoke - and I think it should be legalised - I don't want that to affect the reasoning behind why I don't think you should think yourself a failure as a parent.

that feeling of being sixteen-years-old and in love can never be matched.
you know that's one of my biggest regrets.

Worst days come and go for me. Nothing particularly awful has happened so far. It's mostly one long slog of badness.

One of my favourite days was with Alex, my best friend, when I was at university. We stayed up until 6am smoking weed and watching The Armando Iannucci Show, and it was just a time where I felt so comfortable.

Another is the day - I think it was last July - where me and ash_is_the_gal basically did nothing all day, but I remember us being naked in the living room, lying on the couch, listening to her MP3s. I had the back of my head on her crotch, and we just lay there. It was beautiful.