My top 10 Music Groups/Individuals Youtube ed.

Tools    

I love music just as much as I love cinema, so I thought I would create a top 10 favorite here. Also since youtube is such a great source I figured what better way to share the music?

7thson's top 10 Favorite Music Groups

David Bowie

Bowie first hit my musical radar when he paired with Queen to create Under Pressure.

Of course I had heard of Bowie, but I never really gave him a chance I guess. Now that I am older it is hard to think of a greater combo than Queen and Bowie.

I am sure we all remember him in Labyrinth and his ummm (cough cough) tights. I still think the baby in the movie must have been needing a shrink for a long time afterwards.

His voice is alluring, sexy, and smooth. His songs are in many films and I love how he has aged.

My favorite songs of Bowie are:
Under Pressure
Young Americans
&
The Man Who Sold the World

A wonderful singer and a great peformer

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I LOVE David Bowie, although my favorite song is Ziggy Stardust

Great idea 7thson.... ... and Bowie rocks... a couple of my favorites by him are Space Oddity and Heroes...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Nicklecreek

I first heard this group at a wedding of a close friend. He was the Father giving away his only daughter, a young girl of 17. I did not know until after the wedding that they were even a somewhat popular band. He dedicated the song Come Back Down to his little girl and although he found it tough to give her away, he did so regally. The lyrics to this song are amazing to me.

NickleCreek is a bit Country and a lot Bluegrass/Newgrass/Acoustic, and the combinations are electrifying in my mind.

Unfortunately it seems as if the group has broken up, but I hope to see them around even if seperate.

My top three favorite Nicklecreek songs all come from their self titled album Nicklecreek (2000):

Come Back Down
The Fox (A great song, if you have never heard it take a go)
&
The Lighthouse Tale

The Police/Sting

There is not much I can say about The Police or Sting that most music lovers do not already know. I will say that they bring back early 80's memories like a waterfall and that Sting turned out to be a great individual artist.

Synchronicity was a "love all the songs on it" type album for me and the 80's would not have been the same without them, at least musically.

My Favorite Police/Sting songs
Synchronicity
Every Breath you Take
&
Fields of Gold

Although I love The Police, I like Sting with the group or without them just as much, if not more. What a soft wonderful male voice he has.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Great thread topic! That's cool that you got to see Nickel Creek play at a wedding. Now, not to hijack your thread, but this is a review I wrote which I just happen to have from a Nickel Creek show on December 17, 2005.

My wife, daughter and I saw Andrew Bird and Nickel Creek at the Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles last night. We went for Andrew Bird, but the majority of the crowd came for headliner Nickel Creek. Even though I ordered tickets well in advance, the best I could do is get seats in the second row Mezzanine, which were still quite good. With our binoculars, we could read parts of the set list.

Andrew Bird came out with only a drummer who sometimes played a small keyboard one-handed while drumming. Bird had his violin, which he strummed, picked and bowed to awesome effect. He also played electric guitar, xylophone, and peppered his songs liberally with his amazing whistling. Did I forget to mention that he's a tremendous singer? The highlights of his eight-song, 45-minute set were extended versions of "Sovay", "Skin Is, My" and the only song he played from his masterpiece The Swimming Hour, "Why?", where he was alone on the stage and tantalized with some changed vocal phrasing ("I wish it was the dishes you were throwin'. Damn you for bein' so easy goin') and intense violin. I was disappointed when he left the stage and the house lights went up, but it was still very good.

Nickel Creek came out with tall mandolinist Chris in the middle and flanked by much-shorter siblings, brother (Sean, acoustic guitar) and sister (Sara, fiddle) with stand-up bassist Mark in the back. They played almost all of the new album along with many traditional bluegrass tunes, several earlier originals and some interesting (and amusing) covers. They also chatted with the audience quite a bit and were very funny. The cool covers, which got just as much appreciation as several of their extended jams, were Radiohead's "Nice Dream", Britney Spears' "Toxic", Randy Newman's "Short People" (especially funny), and a stirring version of the Band's "The Weight" during the first encore.

There were two other highlights of note. While Sara took the spotlight solo with her ukulele to sing "Anthony", the others walked away, but then crept up from behind to harmonize with her. At this moment, Andrew Bird walked on from back stage, strumming his violin and came up to the mike to add a few whistles before walking away before the song ended. The other really memorable moment was during an extended jam in the encore, Mark walked away from his bass over to the side of the stage to a small floor and proceeded to jump on it and do some fancy tap dancing to the music. He was really good too! Then Chris decided to get in on it (without taps), and they danced as a mirror of each other. Very impressive and fun. They played for two hours and finished up with a hushed version of the title song from their new album (Why Should the Fire Die?).

We left very entertained and drove over to the Original Pantry Restaurant for Midnight Breakfast, which, of course, featured their world-famous cole slaw.

The other really memorable moment was during an extended jam in the encore, Mark walked away from his bass over to the side of the stage to a small floor and proceeded to jump on it and do some fancy tap dancing to the music. He was really good too! Then Chris decided to get in on it (without taps), and they danced as a mirror of each other. Very impressive and fun. They played for two hours and finished up with a hushed version of the title song from their new album (Why Should the Fire Die?).
Seems you were way more lucky to me. I did call my friend not to long ago and asked how much he had to pay the group for playing at his daughters wedding. He declined to tell me.. . Oh well I am glad I was turned onto them in such a great way.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I like Message in a Bottle from the Police

OK, I started creating the next post in this thread, but I am tired and an image of Cait' yelling whilst jogging is stamped in my head , so I will continue this tommorow. I might post still in other places, actually I am sure I will (I am heading over to some political thread ), but I want to give a decent sober ( yes Adi I am drinking)review of the groups I like, so TTFN

Blondie

Debbie broke my heart when I was 14 or so. I mailed a letter to the band and professed my adoration of her and well she never responded. It hurt back then, but I outgrew that quickly and I knew she was talking to me when she touched herself .

Seriously, she was a bit too heavy on the make-up and too light on the bass, but she could sing, oh yes she could.
&NR=1

A little rock and a whole lot of disco with a dash of rap thrown in,
Blondie made my male teenage life a bit more fun.

My favorite Blondie Songs:
Rapture
Heart of Glass &
The Tide is High
&feature=related

Pink Floyd

There is nothing I enjoy more than relaxing on my day off with a good book a mixed drink and Floyd playing. Such soothing and inspirational music makes this philosophy major think about my lot in life evertime I really listen to their ballads.

A wonderful group that makes you either think when you want and if not, helps you just be and rest your brain if thats the perscription.

My favorite Floyd songs:
Comfortably Numb
Hey You
Division Bell (Wonderful song to just close your eyes and relax and let your mind go)

Foreigner

When I first heard my older brother rocking out to these guys I was only 13 or so, but I remember sneaking into his room after he left for work and just rocking out myself. My older sister would ask me why I was in Eddie's room and I said I was rocking it to Foreigner, she gave me that cute smile of hers and said cool, I am with you. Debbie was the only older sister (I have three) that was still living at home when I was a teenager and we played plenty of Foreigner, Zepplin, Stones, and McLean's American Pie on my brothers record player. We played Gin and Slapjack and just hid from the rest of life for an hour or so when we could. Foreigner was our favorite though and Juke Box Hero was a wonderful song.

Not much to see on this video here, but who needed videos back then?

Foreigner is a wonderful group that has a lot of heart in its music and it shows in their peformances. They certainly helped me to never forget my dreams.

My Fav Foreigner songs:
Juke Box Hero
Feels Like the First Time
&
I Want to Know What Love Is

Commodores/Lionel Richie

The funky dance music that the Commodores shared with us in the 70’s hit me like a (was going to say brick house but that would be kind of a bad pun) Machine Gun. Seriously though when I was around 15 or 16 my bowling team, which consisted of three of my best friends: Eddie, William, and Melody

These guys have a wonderful sound together and Lionel was not so shabby as a solo either.

My 3 fav Commodore/Ritchie songs:
Brick House
Hello
Say You Say Me

(Who remembers the movie this video is from?)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Sure, I saw White Nights at the theatre, but I haven't seen it for years, so I didn't even remember that song was in it or that Helen Mirren was playing so many Russians in the middle '80s. I do remember the plane crash landing near the beginning though.

The Black Crowes

I totally fell in love with this eclectically motivated group of rock/blues musicians the moment I first heard Chris and Rich and the band. It was the 90’s for goodness sake; classic rock was well classic rock. An amazing group - that as a group has its’ own collective soul. The Black Crowes are amazing.

Favs:
Remedy
Hard to Handle
She Talks to Angles (Accoustic version is awesome)

The People's Republic of Clogher
Great thread.

I've seen Bowie live a couple of times and he was unexpectedly (I say 'unexpectedly' because the albums he was touring at the time weren't great) fantastic. Possibly the greatest pop singer England has produced...

...I even forgive him for Tim Machine.

Never been much of a fan of American acts like Foreigner but, hand on my heart, have to say that I Want To Know What Love Is is one of the greatest songs ever written.

Garth Brooks

Yes I know - flippin' Garth Brooks?
I will start off by saying that I do not like much of his newer stuff, not that it is bad, it just is not on par with his older stuff IMO. A lot of the reason I love his music is because of the words, the heartfelt way he shares his thoughts through his voice. I love the soft and relaxing songs of his more than I do the upbeat stuff, but some of that is also good. It is hard to explain without sounding like a silly redneck, so I will just say this:

I AM A REDNECK DADGUMMIT!!

One song in particular gets to me everytime I hear it and it is certainly one of my favorite songs ever. Ireland. I could not find a good Yutube rendition of this, but if you have never heard it or have not heard it recently I urge you to look it up.

Top 3 Favorite Garth songs:

Night Riders Lament
Much Too Young to Feel This Damn Old
Ireland

Sorry I could Not find any matching Youtube videos that I liked for these songs, so I leave you with some amazing Lyrics.

They say mother earth is breathing
With each wave that finds the shore
Her soul rises in the evening
For to open twilights door
Her eyes are the stars in heaven
Watching o'er us all the while
And her heart it is in Ireland
Deep within the Emerald Isle.
We are forty against hundreds
In someone elses bloody war
We know not why were fighting
Or what we're dying for
They will storm us in the morning
When the sunlight turns to sky
Death is waiting for its dance now
Fate has sentenced us to die.
(chorus)
Ireland I am coming home
I can see your rolling fields of green
And fences made of stone.
I am reaching out won't you take my hand
I'm coming home Ireland.
Oh the captain he lay bleeding
I can hear him calling me
These men are yours now for the leading
Show them to their destiny
And as I look up all around me
I see the ragged tired and torn
I tell them to make ready
'Cause we're not waiting for the morn.
*chorus*
Now the fog is deep and heavy
As we forge the dark and fear
We can hear their horses breathing
As in silence we draw near
There are no words to be spoken
Just a look to say good-bye
I draw a breath and night is broken
As I scream our battle cry.
*chorus*
I am home Ireland

Thank God you didn't say one of your favorites was Friends in Low Places...

I'm pretty sure I've seen a video of him singing Ireland on YouTube but couldn't find it when I checked...

Queen/Freddy Mercury

I am sure this is no surprise to any of you who know me, but Queen is by far, in my mind, the best band ever. The reason is because of Freddy Mercury. Oh I love the others: May, Taylor, Deacon, but Freddy was a God behind the microphone and a poet in front of an audience. To hear him sing is an auditory pleasure that just cannot be matched. His empathetic soul and his emotional human heart created a wonderful juxtaposition that flowed through his veins and was shared with the rest us through his powerful voice. Queen is certainly a major factor in my love for the movie Flash Gordon. Most of you probably know the history of the band and of Mercury, and if you do not look it up some day. I remember many of my peers mocking me for liking a homosexual singer, and I remember thinking how I let their remarks roll of my back and fall to the ground beneath my feet where those remarks belonged. His was a beautiful voice, a beautiful male voice that resonates throughout ones soul and body.

I would give just about anything to have been a part of Live Aid, this performance on video is spectacular and to have seen it in person must have been a kind of magic. I also want to visit the memorial in Switzerland it is an amazing piece of art from all the pictures I have seen. There is not much more to say other than I do not care what color you are, who you sleep with, what God you pray too, or what politics you subscribe to, Mercury can sing and his voice was amazing. RIP Freddy, it would be nice to have you singing a welcome when I get to wherever I am headed after this life.

If you have the time sit through these, even if you have done it before, it is easy to do again and very enjoyable.

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfYcKNqQoJo&feature=related
&feature=related
&feature=related
&feature=related

My Favorite Queen Songs:

Hammer to Fall

Bohemian Rhapsody

&
I Want to Break Free

I love that video.

I love all the Flash songs and the Highlander soundtrack is also amazing, hell even Fat Bottomed Girls and Another One Bites the dust are great. What an amazing group and what a man Freddy was.