the Best and Worst day of your life

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've stayed away from this thread because when you're an underachieving, registered-user bum, it's difficult to make choices or sometimes even differentiate good from bad. But something about the humanity on display here has led me to make a weak attempt to contribute.

The Best is very difficult. It could be the day when my sick, elderly father started wanting to kiss me back goodbye whenever I left the house. It could be the day I took my Alzheimer's mom from her "rest home" out for a movie and an ice cream cone when I visited her after I moved out, and she knew who I was and remembered things. It could be any of the days involving my meeting of Brenda, our first date, our wedding, or the birth of Sarah, although Brenda did swear at me that day, somehow blaming me for a long, difficult birth. (She has no recollection of this, and I found her swearing more funny than mean, something for a script ) It could also be any of the accomplishments which Sarah has achieved so far. So, I don't know. Should I put up a poll or tear myself apart? I'm happy whenever anybody can express happiness, so don't be afraid to keep it going.

The Worst is once again something to consider, although I feel there are fewer choices available. I was the one who found my grandma dead in our house. I was also the last person to get a reaction from my father when he gripped my hand seconds before he died. But those were sick, older people, so it wasn't a complete shock. The personal worst day for me was probably when I was up on a shaky ladder in my garage tossing folded-up boxes into the garage rafters after we had just moved. Brenda and I had both quit the FAA, and neither of us had health insurance at the time. I decided to add just one more box, and that's when the ladder went out.

I was holding onto the rafters for awhile, but not exactly being skinny OR strong, I eventually let go and hit the garage floor. I immediately felt intense pain and a sort of numbness at the same time. When I rolled over to notice that my left foot was hanging off the end of my leg, I started calling for Brenda. She came out and almost got sick. It was unbelievably scary looking, much scarier than gore in a movie. I told her that I could hop on my right leg over to her pickup truck. I was already thinking about trying to save the money we had just earned from selling our share of my parents' house to another brother. It worked out and we got to the emergency room OK. Sarah was only about two, but luckily, the hospital was near our old house, so we had a neighbor watch her.

This is getting long-winded, but after spending two hours to get into the ER (including covering my dislocated, broken ankle with a towel, to hide it from those in the crowded waiting room), the docs finally saw me. They were discussing my case as if I wasn't in the room when one said we have to tell him he needs surgery. I said, "Hurry up! I'm leaving this place tomorrow." They gave me some painkillers through an IV, but I was still wide awake. They gave me some more, and since I was still talking to them, I said, "Go ahead and relocate my ankle, and if it hurts too much, I'll tell you." It took three of them on both sides of my leg, and I heard them grunt and groan for about five seconds, and then I said, "I feel it!" They said, "We're done."

I was discharged less than 24 hours after I went in, but the bills added up to $13,000. (I'm guessing it would be over $50,000 now.) After calling, writing and talking face-to-face with everybody I could, I got the total bill reduced to $7,000. I went back to subbing at school three weeks later (I had just decided to try to be a teacher, so subbing was the entryway). I drove the car to work and used a wheelchair and crutches to get around. I figured it would be too painful to use the clutch, but no problema. Four months later, I went back to playing full-court basketball.

Shut up, mark!

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.
I seriously done really have a best day right now, lots a good ones but Im only 16

Worst is when one of my good friends died trying to get high by hanging himself with a belt, that really changed me,I'm much more afraid of committing to a new friend, and I'm just generally less talkitive: not shy but I just feel like talking less

Up with that is when my couisins almost year old baby died in her bed...

Ask me a question, any question: Grill a MoFo: Dill-Man

Worst is when one of my good friends died trying to get high by hanging himself with a belt, that really changed me,I'm much more afraid of committing to a new friend, and I'm just generally less talkitive: not shy but I just feel like talking less
We all make mistakes. Your friend just happened to have made a big one. Sorry for your loss, but there are some excellent people out there.

I was discharged less than 24 hours after I went in, but the bills added up to $13,000. (I'm guessing it would be over $50,000 now.) After calling, writing and talking face-to-face with everybody I could, I got the total bill reduced to $7,000.
JESUS CHRIST!! What would a more complicated procedure cost, a million freakin' dollars?! Your health care system is ridiculous...

Edit: Right, forgot to add my stories.

Ok, the best day of my life was probably when I came out to my youngest sister about two years ago. It changed my life, for the better naturally. It was an extremely difficult thing to do because she is the closest thing to a soul mate I have. We're only a year and a half apart and we're always together. People sometimes mistake us for twins. But unfortunately, since we live in a very homophobic society and family, she had exhibited some signs of homophobia prior to that...today I know she was only mimicking her surroundings, but nevertheless, it made me apprehensive about telling her (to say the least). Had she reacted badly, I'm not sure how I would have dealt with it...so one day I couldn't take being in the closet anymore and I sent her an SMS (too much of a pussy to do it live unfortunately...) at 4am. She responded the next morning saying that it doesn't matter, I'm still her brother....(I still get a little emotional when I think about it). It was as if 5 tons had been lifted off my back. Later on I found out that she didn't take it as well as I thought (she was extremely upset at my future prospects, living in such a narrow minded community). I still feel a bit bad about that but c'est la vie...

As for the worst, nothing particularly horrible has happened to me (yet, knock on wood), but I suppose one evening in particular stands out as psychologically devastating. Long story short, when my father visited my two sisters and I (we lived together during college) he went into one of his rages and started smashing stuff. I was absolutely petrified...I'm still upset when he does that because I honestly don't know what he's capable of when he's like that. It took me a long time after that to stop being afraid every time I heard he was coming. I wasn't very strong mentally back then so I took it far worse than I do today...

That's it really...:\

Thank goodness for the National Health Service as much as we moan about it here in the UK. Nice bit of haggling on the price there Mark. You'd be a useful man to take to the souk

Dill-man, that's a tough thing to have happened to your friend, and a hard thing for you to have to deal with in your short life.

Mrs Darcy, I don't know how old your son is but hope things aren't as bad as they seem {{hugs}}

Ash, that's a lovely thought about your first love, and it is true too

Caity, I never much like people saying "I know how you feel", cos no one feels the same way about anything, but I can still feel for you on the loss of your sister. My younger brother was killed in a car crash in the early 80s at the age of 21 and I still think about him everyday too. Now, I have two sons myself who're around that age and I still don't know how my mum and dad coped when I think what it would mean to lose one of my boys.
Oh and ditto on the seatbelts threat!

I hope all of you too young to have had best days yet have loads and loads of wonderful days so you won't know which one to choose!

tsk I have to edit now Adidass! Families are funny things, they can tear you apart and they can make you feel safe and sound. I'm glad you have a sister like you have. Only a sibling can share all the memories that go way back and so can understand how you feel.