How do you pick your top ten movies of all time?

Tools    

Do you go for directing and filmmaking style, or do you go for story and subject matter?

For me it's a mix out of both and how unique it is, or just how much I like it.

Or should I be picking based on favorite directors, rather than favorite scripts?

You are free to pick as you want, maybe simply which one you like the most?

I've tried to ask this question several different ways, and I usually get answers that amount to "go by your gut". What I have settled on is What does the movie offer. Some movies are strong on cinematography, mood, acting, story, message, re-watchability (not even a word) how many times can I watch it without getting tired of it. I feel the movies I have rated the highest have a good combination of the above elements (The Godfather, is strong on most of the film elements). I don't go completely by the elements, or Citizen Kane would be #1 for me, as it is I do not have CK on my list. It helps to watch as many movies as you can critically. Ask what You like and dislike, and compare movies on that basis. The more films you watch and discuss the better your judgment will become. I think writing reviews is a good suggestion for all of us who are seeking to explore movies on a more serious level than most people tend to take the time to do.
One thing I've learned from reading critics like: Halliwell, Ebert, Kael, etc is that they have watched so many movies that I will never have their broad perspective from which to judge the movies I watch. For instance i really like Purple Rose of Cairo because i always thought that Woody was doing something new in that movie. Ebert claims Woody was repeating an idea from long ago. You have to start somewhere, and where you are in terms of your knowledge of movies is as good a place as any to start comparing movies and deciding what you like and what you don't like. What helps a movie and what hurts.

This is such an odd topic for me because I love movies and have seen hundreds of them and even though I have a favorite film of all time, I have no idea what the criteria would be or how to begin constructing a top ten.

This is such an odd topic for me because I love movies and have seen hundreds of them and even though I have a favorite film of all time, I have no idea what the criteria would be or how to begin constructing a top ten.
I understand. Same goes for me...A question for you Gideon, what criteria did you use to pick the Top 10 movies on your MoFo profile?

It's quite the challenge for me. But I try to look at what both movies set out to achieve and then compare the two based on that. Right no my top ten incorporates three very closely related movies with close themes in between two each: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Toy Story, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Toy Story makes for an excellent buddy comedy, but it's not as funny as Monty Python, even though the movie has more filmmaking focus. Then Indiana Jones makes for a better adventure than Monty Python, but the cast doesn't quite bear the same heart as Toy Story or Monty Python. So it's a bit of a challenge.

Do you go for directing and filmmaking style, or do you go for story and subject matter?

I made a top ten films of all time, along with my friend, and he asked, how come you never picked any from your favorite director's like Sergio Leone, or Akira Kurosawa?

Well even though I love those directors styles, they don't often choose the types of scripts I like the very most though.

Coming up with a top ten of all time is hard cause there are so many to pick from. Here's sort of a ballpark but I keep changing my mind. What do you think?

10. Malcolm X (1992)
9. Cell 211 (2009)
8. This Film Is Not Yet Rated (2006)
7. Parasite (2019)
6. 12 Angry Men (1957)
5. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
4. Sicko (2007)
3. The Battle of Algiers (1966)
2. Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
1. The Skin I Live In (2011)

Or should I be picking based on favorite directors, rather than favorite scripts?
Plot and storyline are elements that get mentioned a lot but I've never been overly fussed about that; I'm visceral. My Top 10 has changed more than I expected it would in the last couple of years but all the new entries are films that had an immediate impact when I first saw them, especially Girls Against Boys.

A system of cells interlinked
My list is a combo of all-time favorites combined with films that have most recently affected me deeply for a variety of reasons.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yeah. If the movie really hits me on some level + how often or eager I am to rewatch the movie helps to separate favorites from what I would consider to be average or uninteresting. Bias notwithstanding, I probably measure favorites against each other by how much a movie affects me emotionally, for technical merits like composition and framing, pacing, story, etc., etc. I'm not literally scoring anything, just some movies have what I might consider more obvious issues than others that otherwise would be equally enjoyable. Those, I guess, might bump a little higher on my 10 list. I mean, if there are no glaring errors or issues that I can overlook for the sake of how a movie moves me, then that one might take a higher rank over something that might be technically superior. But it still goes back to how the movie affects me and how many times I can watch it without burnout.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Mine is just my personal favorites of all time. I use to have just the fellowship of the ring in there to represent the whole LOTR trilogy then people started asking if i just liked fellowship so i had to edit it accordingly lol

They do? They look the same to me. What did you add recently?
LOL! I said they could.. that is if I had the energy to change them. I still have the same 10 I started with after certain parties who shall remain nameless cojoled me into settng up a top 10 in the first place after I argued it would be too difficult.

I am the Watcher in the Night

I made a top ten films of all time, along with my friend, and he asked, how come you never picked any from your favorite director's like Sergio Leone, or Akira Kurosawa?

Well even though I love those directors styles, they don't often choose the types of scripts I like the very most though.

Coming up with a top ten of all time is hard cause there are so many to pick from. Here's sort of a ballpark but I keep changing my mind. What do you think?

10. Malcolm X (1992)
9. Cell 211 (2009)
8. This Film Is Not Yet Rated (2006)
7. Parasite (2019)
6. 12 Angry Men (1957)
5. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
4. Sicko (2007)
3. The Battle of Algiers (1966)
2. Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
1. The Skin I Live In (2011)

Terrific list. I think Malcolm X is so underrated and its tonal shifts between young, criminal Malcolm and older, more intelligent Malcolm is so well represented. I thought it was genius actually.

Anyway, in terms of making a list, if I am trying to be as objective as possible, I take in plot, ability to tell the story, direction, cinematography, strength of dialogue and acting, among many other things. Also, as objective as we try to be, cinema is a subjective medium and I take into account how much I connected with the film and the entertainment value it provided me.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Years? Why the wait?
There are some, I think Goodfellas/Godfather that I end up watching on TV every time.