Logan's Run DVD Advice Needed

Tools    

Hello there,

I've been wanting to upgrade my Logan's Run (1976) vhs for ages now, but keep hearing bad stuff about the R1 & R2 dvd releases. Apparently the R1 dvd has a terrible picture transfer, whereas the R2 has an excellent transfer but a 1.85 aspect ratio (the film was shot in 2.35). Therefore what I'd really like to know is do any MoFo'ers have the R1 edition? and if so, is the transfer really that bad? Additionally does anyone know of a decent UK release with the correct aspect ratio?

Any advice on which edition to go for would be greatly appreciated because I really love the movie, thanks in advance.

I'm afraid I can't help you UF. I love the film too, but I just updated my vhs version by recording from the tv. When I get around to updating all my equiptment then maybe I'll be in the same position but, with the options, it doesn't really sound like it's worth it.

Given the choice though, I'd take the better transfer each and every time.

Hello there,

I've been wanting to upgrade my Logan's Run (1976) vhs for ages now, but keep hearing bad stuff about the R1 & R2 dvd releases. Apparently the R1 dvd has a terrible picture transfer, whereas the R2 has an excellent transfer but a 1.85 aspect ratio (the film was shot in 2.35). Therefore what I'd really like to know is do any MoFo'ers have the R1 edition? and if so, is the transfer really that bad? Additionally does anyone know of a decent UK release with the correct aspect ratio?

Any advice on which edition to go for would be greatly appreciated because I really love the movie, thanks in advance.

There have actually been three different R1 releases of Logan's Run, thus far. I have the second one, which was released in 2000. The transfer isn't the most sparkling I've ever seen, but it is 16x9 enhanced and acceptable. For me, anyway. It is most definitely the proper 2.35:1 aspect ratio. It has some decent special features, being an audio commentary track with director Michael Anderson and star Michael York, as well as the original theatrical making-of featurette and the trailer.

It looks like it was reissued on R1 DVD in 2007, but it may be a re-release in different packaging only.

Haven't seen the U.K. DVD, but I think the R1 DVD is decent. However I will admit it is not one of my all-time favorites or anything and even with a super-cleaned-up pristine print from the week it premiered in 1976 I don't think this was ever a visual masterpiece to begin with. So a megafan might have a more critical eye in regards to the transfer?

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Thanks,

the 2000 R1 edition is quite cheap on Amazon now so I think I'll take a punt on it. As long as the transfer isn't a complete loss then I'd rather have the full picture than a cropped version.

I don't think it's a visual masterpiece either, but it sure is a lot of fun and the ideas are sound (youth obsessed society anyone?). I guess reading the dvd write ups isn't always a good idea though, especially if an over critical 'mega-fan' is doing the writing.