The Fifth Hall of Fame

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Wizard of Oz is "unbelievable"? Well, duh. But the emotions it creates are totally relatable. I would hate to see a CGI WoOz because it would probably have none of this one's charm. The books were adapted to film several times before this by the way, so fantasies were often filmed in the '30s and before. The song lyrics are incredibly witty and the music is hummable. Some other people don't like the songs and to you guys I say, "Your loss!" Maybe in the future you will be able to get a fraction of the enjoyment it has given me.

I can say both unbelievable and uninteresting maybe? Also the 1930's ''gee wizz pa'' attitude from the characters also annoyed me. And how is that relatable?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
You need to see the Wizard and get a new heart
And a brain!

When are dream sequences required to be believable? Anyways, I understand you don't like the film but its technical merits and its visual achievements can't be denied.

I was talking about the set that didn't transport me into its world like a good fantastical movie should do. What technical merits and visuals achievements.

Also, I'd like to add that whether or not I have a brain does not have anything to do with my liking of this film

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Before I delete a bunch of pms in my inbox, I want to make sure I have all the lists in my 5th HoF folder I should have.

Cricket
Miss Vicky
Thursday Next
Seanc
Gbgoodies
Rauldc14

Anyone else send one in?

Just watched Divorce Italian Style, i'll comment on it a bit later when i have more time. All i'll say now is that i loved it, really glad you nominated it WT because i wouldn't have thought to watch it for the 60s list. .

Just two left for me, I'll probably watch Quills on Sunday then Bullets Over Broadway sometime next week.

Wizard of Oz - I barely liked it when I was a kid, and I like it even less now. Not into the music (even hated when Metallica ripped off the monkey theme), but the sets still hold up today, so that's something. I'd rather watch the sequel.

The Wages of Fear - people were complaining about waiting for the story to begin but I found the first hour important in establishing the circumstance (one hell of a demoralizing city, no wonder our leading man ran over his leg), though I'm used to French films doing this and I've always enjoyed it. I don't think like most critics that it's one of the most suspenseful films ever made, but it's definitely unique which keeps me intrigued for its whole runtime (I watched the director's cut which includes scenes that "criticize" the oil company..facts are facts people). I prefer Clouzot's other films, but that said, this is still a textbook example of creating social atmosphere.

Ordet - I admire this film for how perfect it is arranged for its content. The pace and characters have zero flaws. The climax of the film didn't move me however, which has nothing to do with it being religiously affiliated, I just saw it coming from a mile away and thought Johannes, while consistent, was beyond his capacity. Great facial shots though. Inger's eyes are on par with the end of City Lights.

Plein Soleil - Never read the book, but loved the story. Also, it's hard to find other films shot on the water besides Knife in the Water, so that was fun for me to watch. I love how many moments throughout the film we see Tom unsure of himself, when he's always so certain, really dramatic juxtapositions, it keeps things tense. Clément is a pretty varied director, Jeux Interdits is another excellent film by him if anyone's interested.

Le Trou - Never heard of the director here, on the other hand, but holy **** this was a physical film. So many long takes of this one long process, you'd think it'd get boring but it's extremely intriguing. I read a pretty compelling analysis that the film depicts the working class alone, completely capable without the bourgeoisie. Joe vowed to stay behind, but Gaspard is the snitch. Class warfare in one little room. Again holy ****.

Wadjda - Realism was renewed for me when I saw this. That may sound exaggerated, but it happens more than you think. Anyway, I don't even know what to say, it's a very good directorial debut, and was shot in a country that doesn't allow films, so that it exists at all is incredible. The only flaws I saw were two or three shots that literally made no sense as they were from a perspective that was never established, but otherwise it's a very simple story about a clever girl who's held back by her environment. Kinda heartbreaking. At least her mom is mature enough to make the end a little less depressing.

Wadjda: I really enjoyed that film, it's a simple story, but the fact that the movie is taking place in a coiuntry that doesn't allow them (like wintertriangles said) makes it extremely interesting, These kind of movies are what gradually makes things change, makes mentalities evolve. It was not really a story based movie, more a simple realist take on live (particularly of women) in Saudi Arabia.

Unforgiven: This was a rewatch and it was a lot better than I remember. Because since then I've seen so many westerns and this one is just so different. Will Munny is a worn out father who used to be the baddest man in the west, he thought he could do a last killing to have some money for his children, also they had it coming so he decided to go. However, killing a man is not an easy task and the movie shows it so well. The ending is also excellent and to prove my point that it's an anti western is that Will after everything is done drives of to a dark sky instead of a blue Sunset.

If it's the 9th, I'll definitely be able to finish them all. I still have an exam on the 30th, but I'm starting with my marathon tomorrow!

I feel really bad about not finishing the last one. I still want to see all of those films too.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
When was the due date for this again? I still have quite a few to watch, but I really want to finish it.
It's Feb. 16th. A new HoF starts the 31st of this month though, so if you want to join that one just keep time management in mind.

Speaking of the next one and future other ones, my plan is to always have one special HoF and one standard HoF going on at the same time. Seanc is running the next one, but I was thinking about getting a group of four or five people that would like to run either a standard or special HoF. We would schedule who goes when so that there aren't more than one kind going on at a time. The only thing I would ask that each one is ran according to the guidelines posted in the group activities and game threads. Just so that scoring remains the same as well as the general rules.

PM me if you're interested. No one would be running more than one or possible two in a year and depending on the amount of people that join they generally last anywhere from two to four months.

I think I've finished all the movies. Here are some thoughts on the ones I haven't already written about:

Boys Don't Cry

This surprised me a bit. I had seen it before but my memories weren't overly positive - however, watching it again it comes very close to being a "great" movie. Swank and Sevigny put in great performances and it is really well directed - in some ways it makes me a bit sad that Pierce has gone on to make things like the Carrie re-make. She had/has a big future as an "indie" director.

The only thing that stops me considering it a masterpiece is that I was confused by some of the decision making of the characters. I actually did a lot of reading after watching it to find what was true and what wasn't because obviously if what was depicted was real than I can't criticise it for the characters being stupid Anyway, a lot of it probably was real but there were some things at the end that detracted from my overall enjoyment a little bit.

Overall I went into this HoF thinking this would be a bottom 5 film but it turned out to be top 5.

Bullets Over Broadway

My general feeling with Woody Allen is that he is great at directing and writing for Woody Allen. In the films where he plays more of a support role I always wish he was on screen more and the films where he isn't in the cast at all make me feel like something is missing. I felt that a bit here - I felt like Woody himself should have been delivering the lines.

Overall I liked it and found the story interesting but felt it could have been better. I'm also starting to realise I'm not a fan of John Cusack - in so many of his films his performances are a bit on the bland side. I think if Woody was in this it would be great - without him it was just good.

Claire's Knee

The first Rohmer film I've seen. Beautifully shot and well acted with some interesting ideas. I found Jerome to be a fascinating character - somewhat creepy at times but that was part of the point. He was a character with great depth who provided an interesting perspective on life at times.

The discussion earlier in the thread about the age of the girls was interesting and it's something I've thought about a bit in the past. It was a different time with different ideas of what was acceptable. Don't forget Priscilla was only 14 when Elvis fell for her

Overall, very good movie.

Divorce Italian Style

It was interesting seeing Mastroianni playing this sort of role because I'd only seen him play "cool" characters before. He handled it well.

Overall this was a good film but perhaps not one of my favourites from that time. I personally find comedies from other cultures the hardest to connect with (when I watch Chinese comedies with my wife she rolls around laughing and I just sit there shrugging thinking "what?") and that was a bit of a problem for me here.

Ordet

I have to admit that I didn't enjoy The Passion of Joan of Arc as much as many other people and whilst I've always intended to, I haven't seen any other Dreyer films. Therefore I was really glad this was nominated as it made me watch it.

I had a bit of trouble getting into it at the beginning because of it's style but by the end I loved it. I really enjoyed the themes presented and the characters that Dreyer crafted as the movie went along so it ended up being the best of both worlds - a movie that made me think and also made me feel something for the characters.

I often enjoy religious movies even though I'm an atheist because they sometimes present me with ideas that are somewhat challenging and that was the case here.

I didn't like this quite as much as my own nomination ... but it was close

Quills

Rush and Phoenix were great and overall it was a pretty good movie. Given the topic I would have liked to see it be a bit more unpleasant ... perhaps a Lars Von Trier re-make

I find myself becoming a bit more impressed with Phoenix every time I see him. In the past he has done a good job with some pretty one dimensional roles and he was the only thing I liked about Inherent Vice. Hopefully he will look to keep making more "brave" acting choices in the future

The Wages of Fear

Like some others I really enjoyed the first half and overall, even though it had some flaws, I thought it was a good film. What would have made the second half better was less action and more Vera Clouzot

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Bullets Over Broadway

My general feeling with Woody Allen is that he is great at directing and writing for Woody Allen. In the films where he plays more of a support role I always wish he was on screen more and the films where he isn't in the cast at all make me feel like something is missing. I felt that a bit here - I felt like Woody himself should have been delivering the lines.

Overall I liked it and found the story interesting but felt it could have been better. I'm also starting to realize I'm not a fan of John Cusack - in so many of his films his performances are a bit on the bland side. I think if Woody was in this it would be great - without him it was just good.

I seem to be completely opposite you about Woody Allen. I've never been a big fan of his, but after watching a few of his movies recently, I'm noticing that I prefer his movies when he's not in them, or at least when he has a smaller role. I find him very annoying.

On the other hand, I like John Cusack, and while I agree that some of his movies aren't the greatest, I almost always like him in the movie, even if I don't like the movie.

Glad to see you enjoyed your repeat viewing of Boys Don't Cry, Sane, and I'm pretty much in agreement with you with all the movies in your post. I've come to notice that I often agree with you which is so cool since I believe we're from completely different backgrounds.