We just hit 15,000 reviews

Tools    

But how do you know they’re crap if you don’t watch at least a little bit?
You're right of course. What I mean is I don't blind watch movies anymore like I did when I had Netflix and I would just sample whatever sounded interesting. Nothing wrong with sampling though

I may have this scribbled down already, but if not, I will definitely add it. Upgrading profile pages to have more personal stats/favorites/whatever is one of the bigger things I'd like to do this year, and this would fit nicely with that. It'll probably be on its own page, with a few other similar things (genre, director/actor appearance frequency, stuff like that probably.
Neat! It would be really cool (I'm just thinking aloud, as I've very aware that sometimes a LOT of work has to go into such things) if you clicked the
bar in someone's profile and you saw all the reviews/ratings of films they rated that rating.

(Do you know the bar chart format I'm referencing? It's what you see if you go to a movie on IMDb and click "All Topics" and then click "User Ratings". Only instead of seeing the ratings distribution for a film, you'd see the ratings distribution of the scores that a specific poster has given out.)

Neat! It would be really cool (I'm just thinking aloud, as I've very aware that sometimes a LOT of work has to go into such things) if you clicked the
bar in someone's profile and you saw all the reviews/ratings of films they rated that rating.
For sure, that should be easy. Well, I should clarify: it's very easy technically, but increasingly I end up spending most of my time on new things figuring out how they should be laid out. But that's basically all that needs to be determined, because we've already got a robust filter on the Reviews page, so all the links for the above already exists. For example, here are all your reviews of
or above:

https://www.movieforums.com/reviews/...r/any/Takoma11

(Do you know the bar chart format I'm referencing? It's what you see if you go to a movie on IMDb and click "All Topics" and then click "User Ratings". Only instead of seeing the ratings distribution for a film, you'd see the ratings distribution of the scores that a specific poster has given out.)
Got it. Thank you for the specific instructions, in particular. Yeah, we're on the same page.

For sure, that should be easy. Well, I should clarify: it's very easy technically, but increasingly I end up spending most of my time on new things figuring out how they should be laid out. But that's basically all that needs to be determined, because we've already got a robust filter on the Reviews page, so all the links for the above already exists. For example, here are all your reviews of
or above:

https://www.movieforums.com/reviews/...r/any/Takoma11
Whoa! Okay, so the lesson isn't that the site needs more features, it's that I need to be less lazy in exploring the features it already has.

I find this kind of filtering ability incredibly useful, especially when someone asks for a movie recommendation and my mind goes blank. Presto: a list of movies I thought very highly of.

Got it. Thank you for the specific instructions, in particular. Yeah, we're on the same page.
I mean, really I just like graphic representations of data.

Me: Okay.
Me: Ooooh!
Me: OOOOOOOH! Fancy!

The "I didn't know about that feature!" thing is partially on me, I don't really publicize this stuff. I'm a web developer and I often forget that other people use sites differently. I'll just poke around a site just to see what it does and can do, just because, out of pure habit, while most people will just go looking for a thing when they want to find it and not before, look for it differently, etc.

That said, I have occasionally been shocked at the things people ask me even after years of using the site. I say that with genuine amusement and no malice at all. Sometimes I'm even kind of impressed at how often people manage to get by without certain functions that I use on a daily basis.

But yeah, this is all good stuff, glad I was able to highlight it, and hopefully I can make some changes to profiles, in particular, that lead to some of these other things. Making profiles more of a centerpiece, inviting people to customize them and using them as a gateway to other stuff, probably makes sense.

The "I didn't know about that feature!" thing is partially on me, I don't really publicize this stuff. I'm a web developer and I often forget that other people use sites differently. I'll just poke around a site just to see what it does and can do, just because, out of pure habit, while most people will just go looking for a thing when they want to find it and not before, look for it differently, etc.
I admittedly do not poke around on a site. I use what's immediately obvious and remain stunningly ignorant about features that are sometimes literally a single click away.

But yeah, this is all good stuff, glad I was able to highlight it, and hopefully I can make some changes to profiles, in particular, that lead to some of these other things. Making profiles more of a centerpiece, inviting people to customize them and using them as a gateway to other stuff, probably makes sense.
I guess it depends on what most users want, really. I'm mainly here for the discussion. IMDb is where I store my movie ratings and their search feature is the one I'm most comfortable with for quickly, say, finding thrillers I've seen from the last 10 years or finding movies I've rated a 9/10 or 10/10.

That said, a feature I do really like here is the personalized lists as a way to get recommendations. I've scoped out quite a few of Holden's lists, for example.

Dude, they write so many reviews. So much that even keeping up with approving them, with the tool I built to streamline that process, can be a surprising amount of work sometimes.

Especially when you huge jerks submit like 20 in a row.

Cool