A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Victim of The Night
"Save the girl or go antiquing... hmm... antiques, here I come!"
Hey, she's a nice girl, but have you seen this Chippendale armoire?

A WOUNDED FAWN (2022)

Liked this one a lot but my recommendation comes with some caveats.

A woman accompanies her new-ish love interest to his cabin in the woods and what originally appears to be a lovely weekend in the making is gradually ruined by a series of startling events and numerous red flags. This comprises the first half of the film and is done really well. The gradual realization that our heroine is in trouble makes for a very suspenseful 45 minutes, and the actress is pretty great.

Then things start to get weird, and as you can see from the screen shot above, this is about more than just a crazy guy in the woods. So one's enjoyment of this film will depend on one's tolerance for surrealist mumbo-jumbo. I found this half of the film slightly less effective, but the visuals were engaging enough that the film never lost me. But again, weird visuals are my jam so your mileage may vary. (Our old friend DaMU mentioned Lords of Salem in his review and I'd say that's a valid comparison.) As I approached the end of the film, I was lamenting that it didn't quite live up to the promise of the first half, but then the final shot happened and all was redeemed. One of my favorite endings ever. Made me uncomfortable to the point that I was chuckling to myself.

So I loved this and think it's worth a watch, but I'm also prepared for some of you to think it's nonsense and I wouldn't argue with that.

EDIT: I've just now found that @Takoma11 reviewed this a few months ago and we seem to be on the same page.

Unless I'm forgetting something, Spasms is the best snake-related horror movie.

Spasms is the best snake movie I've seen (I don't actually think I've seen Rattlers)

Squirm is worms though.

I also wanted to mention that this is the only directorial credit for Mr. Art Names, which sounds like the laziest pseudonym ever.

Anyhow, I think it would make a good double feature with Squirm, for its similar hillbilly vibes.
I mentioned Squirm last year when discussing Snakes, in fact.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Did any of these have William Shatner? I feel like I watched a made for TV snake movie with Shatner on Rifftrax or Svengoolie.

Mandy is in my top five great greatest movies, what an epic.

Shatner is in Kingdom of the Spiders. Hence the awesomeness thereof.

And yeah - Mandy is fab.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Where would Sssss fall in this lineup?

Oh, good choice.

Nothing is as good as Kingdom of the Spiders but Sssss > every other snake movie

A WOUNDED FAWN (2022)

Liked this one a lot but my recommendation comes with some caveats.

One of my favorite endings ever. Made me uncomfortable to the point that I was chuckling to myself.

So I loved this and think it's worth a watch, but I'm also prepared for some of you to think it's nonsense and I wouldn't argue with that.

EDIT: I've just now found that @Takoma11 reviewed this a few months ago and we seem to be on the same page.
Agreed that it's something different and certainly worth a viewing. And the ending is really funny.

Hey, she's a nice girl, but have you seen this Chippendale armoire?
Wait, are you trying to quote MST3K right now?

Victim of The Night
If we are talking about animals running wild horror films, Wild Beasts is the gold standard.

If we are including insects, it's Phenomenon

Accept no substitutes
I've still never seen this movie.

Victim of The Night
Don't forget Oliver Reed vs Klaus Kinski in Venom (1981)

Oh, I remember this one. I think I actually remember this one better than even Ssssssssssss...

"Tell Me. Do You Bleed? You Will."
If we are talking about animals running wild horror films, Wild Beasts is the gold standard.

If we are including insects, it's Phenomenon

Accept no substitutes
Do you mean Phenomena?

Victim of The Night
No excuses

A blasphemy
Yeah, I had an Argento breakdown when I unfortunately saw the astonishingly, stupendously bad Mother Of Tears and it made me pump my brakes on the man.
Up to that point I had seen, and mostly genuinely liked, Suspiria, The Bird With The Crystal Plumage, Inferno, and Opera, but MoT actually made me gun-shy to ever see another Argento film.
I finally went back and watched Deep Red and enjoyed that too so I'm really just waiting to build up a head of steam to see Phenomena (because, honestly, I've heard mixed things).

Yeah, I had an Argento breakdown when I unfortunately saw the astonishingly, stupendously bad Mother Of Tears and it made me pump my brakes on the man.
Up to that point I had seen, and mostly genuinely liked, Suspiria, The Bird With The Crystal Plumage, Inferno, and Opera, but MoT actually made me gun-shy to ever see another Argento film.
I finally went back and watched Deep Red and enjoyed that too so I'm really just waiting to build up a head of steam to see Phenomena (because, honestly, I've heard mixed things).

You shouldn't let one bad Argento movie from the universally acknowledged shitty period of his career, keep you from the good ones that he did in his good period. Phenomena, Tenebre, Four Flies, even Sleepless or Cat O Nine Tails, are all worth checking out.

Even his Dracula, which is astonishingly bad, and should probably be avoided at all costs, becomes interestingly weird if you are willing to also be bored beyond belief.

Victim of The Night
You shouldn't let one bad Argento movie from the universally acknowledged shitty period of his career, keep you from the good ones that he did in his good period. Phenomena, Tenebre, Four Flies, even Sleepless or Cat O Nine Tails, are all worth checking out.

Even his Dracula, which is astonishingly bad, and should probably be avoided at all costs, becomes interestingly weird if you are willing to also be bored beyond belief.
Yeah, I don't think I was prepared yet to receive that level of terrible and certainly wasn't ready to endure another one if another of his films was that bad nor did I want the idea of Argento's movies ruined for me. This was probably 15-16 years ago. Now, I'm almost inclined to go back and watch it again just to see how amazingly bad it is.
The good thing is that I finally went and watched Deep Red and I thought it was totally up to standard, quite good really, so I think I'm over my problem. I'll watch Phenomena at some point, for sure.

Has anyone heard much about Outwaters? It's made by one of my fellow New Jerseyans and seems to be getting some good buzz, in the vibe of the original Blair Witch project with a low budget but a good payoff in the third act.