The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Yes, popularity rarely figures into popularity contests.
I know you're being sarcastic, but that doesn't necessarily make you wrong.

OK, following the trend, I start revealing some of my entrants...

My #23. All Is Lost (2013)

Written and Directed by J. C. Chandor
Starring Robert Redford

Very symbolic movie. I'd like to praise here the great idea of the film and the superb directing by J. C. Chandor. In addition, it was nice to see Robert Redford again, in the latest portion of his long beautiful career.
Curious if someone else considered this title... I've had the impression that the film is well accepted among the general audience, that's why, I've chosen it for one of the slots.
Would be in my top 50. I remember watching this one night in university and I was pretty tired at the time, but it kept me awake, really engrossing and moving.

Victim of The Night
One from my list (at #23) that I thought might just have an outside chance was Kubo and the Two Strings, a visually stunning, heartfelt mish-mash of fantastical action and well-realized family dynamics. It's incredibly impressive and moving from beginning to end, and it has the nerve to end its story in a very complex, slightly-melancholy place. It's a kids movies that doesn't pander or assume that children can't handle emotional complexity and a bit of sadness.
Very close to making my list, actually, it was a late cut.

You ready? You look ready.
The Social Network was good but far too long. But I suppose that’s to be expected when you making a movie about the origins of a vindictive robot.

OK, following the trend, I start revealing some of my entrants...

My #23. All Is Lost (2013)

Written and Directed by J. C. Chandor
Starring Robert Redford

Very symbolic movie. I'd like to praise here the great idea of the film and the superb directing by J. C. Chandor. In addition, it was nice to see Robert Redford again, in the latest portion of his long beautiful career.
Curious if someone else considered this title... I've had the impression that the film is well accepted among the general audience, that's why, I've chosen it for one of the slots.
All Is Lost was just outside my top 25--I had a different J.C. Chandor film on my list.

Time to continue the unraveling of my ballot.

#16 - Tigers Are Not Afraid

A Mexican film about a small group of children trying to survive the violence of the Mexican drug war. Stylistically it resembles Del Toro with lots of fantasy and horror elements thrown into the mix.

#14 - Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Yes, I had this at #14. I wasn't lying when I said it's better than anything MCU has done this decade. I love Snyder's style and his balls to make superhero movies that take themselves seriously.

Seen: 43.5/95

My ballot (this far)  

A system of cells interlinked
I really like Batman v Superman also, just not enough to list it as a Top film of the decade. Still, good to see someone else likes it too!

Tigers are not Afraid looks great, also.

One of the strangest things about this countdown, and it may be due entirely to how recent the films are, is even with the Top Ten there is no real, true, clear, overwhelming consensus. We are on the doorstep of the Top Five and the point totals are still in the 200s. The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s List had 99 ballots to this countdown's 98. The only two decade lists that have almost crested a hundred total participants. On that 1970s list the 200 point threshold was hit at movie #39 (Solaris). On this list it was #23 (Inception) and #6 (The Social Network) is at 296 on only eighteen lists. The 1970s countdown hit the 300 point totals at movie #21 (Aguirre, the Wrath of God). It jumped from 381 points at #14 (Close Encounters of the Third Kind) to 444 points at #13 (Monty Python and the Holy Grail). #12 was another huge jump to 540 points for The Exorcist and 542 for #11 Rocky. The Top Ten was simply another level of voting. #10's The Godfather Part II had 728 points, it was on 46 of the 99 lists. And the runaway #1 of The Godfather 1,213 points. It was on 66 ballots, 50 of which had it somewhere in their Top Ten. This is the exact same scoring/voting system.

We may not even hit 400 points at this rate.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Maybe we've found the optimum level for variance or other such waffle. A modern timeframe, which is large enough that people have watched lots of different, quality films.

1970s - perhaps less films to choose

Even a 'top 10 of all time' might be such large a timeframe that consensus is more reached across the board. I.e. - You get your Godfather's appearing on lots of lists again.

I think it is simply how recent the films are, not how many. We did the 1970s list in 2014, thirty-five years after the end of the decade. If this site were to still exist in 2054, I think more of a consensus will have developed. For a film to be popular and impactful thirty-five+ years past their debuts is a special thing. You simply can't gauge it the same way a couple years after a decade's end.

But as with most things, time will tell.

309 points, 18 lists
La La Land
Director

Damien Chazelle, 2016

Starring

Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, John Legend, Rosemarie DeWitt

Trivia

La La Land - According to composer Justin Hurwitz, all the piano performances featured in the film were first recorded by pianist Randy Kerber during pre-production. Ryan Gosling then spent two hours a day, six days a week in piano lessons learning the music by heart. By the time filming had begun, Gosling was able to play all the piano sequences seen in the film without the use of a hand double or CGI.

MoFo Reviewer

The movie begins with a massive traffic jam in L.A.. The movie begins with a fantastic musical dance number that involves a very big cast. it is full of movement and long traffic shots. The cinematography was great in this scene. We are introduced to our main characters who have not yet met, or at least formally introduced (Ryan Gosseling's character flips off Emma Stones character), but that can't be counted as a formal introduction). They run across each other as each is trying to purse their individual careers. They meet and begin to date, but it is not long before they begin to make a choice between their individual careers or their relationship. I thought the movie doing a good job of portraying the difficulties of juggling a relationship and pursuing your individual goals. if you have not seen it I won't spoil it for you. Musical dramas are definitely not new. At various points in film history, they were so common that almost every movie had a song and dance number (even the Marx Brothers); however in resurrecting this old genre I believe that Chazelle has brought a breath of fresh air back into on old format. You may or may or agree. Recommended for those who would be entertained with a good story set in the song and dance format.
Read the full review here.

This top 10 is somewhat regrettably starting to resemble a list of Oscar Best Picture nominees, with an emphasis on perfectly fine films that are not particularly special (I believe that so far only Blade Runner 2049 was not an actual BP nominee). So yeah, The Social Network* is ... fine. It's fine. But who am I to fight the consensus?
* La La Land

mark f

La La Land (Damien Chazelle, 2016)
-
When the print of Rebel Without a Cause they’re watching at the Rialto Theatre breaks at the Griffith Park Observatory scene, struggling actress Emma Stone and jazz pianist Ryan Gosling go to the observatory itself to continue their date.
La La Land was #1 on mark f's ballot.

1. La La Land (#5)
2. Nightcrawler (#55)
3. The Social Network (#6)
5. 1917 (#86)
7. It's Such a Beautiful Day (#16)
10. Gravity (#34)
12. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (#44)
14. The Act of Killing (#47)
16. The Shape of Water (#52)
20. World of Tomorrow (#99)
24. Behemoth (one pointer)

Quite enjoyed La La Land and it was considered briefly for my list, but only briefly. Somewhat surprised at it reaching these heady heights, especially with it being a *gasp* musical, but then I clearly don't really have much of a handle on what's popular from this decade.

Not a fan of musicals (bar a couple), never seen La La Land, and don't intend to any time soon really. Just looks like a film that sycophantically strokes the egos of those in Hollywood, then gives them awards for doing so.