2023 Film Challenge

Tools    

Wow. 52 new to the viewer movies in 36 days, all of which fit the specific criteria. Just wow. Clearly a film Goddess/God/Godx! I plan on taking the whole year.
I mean, my amazing strategy is checklist-induced OCD. Would not recommend!

I actually really love this annual challenge. I normally waste so much time deciding what to watch. With this challenge I spend a few minutes researching each category, grab one or two titles, and boom. Generally speaking, it tends to up the quality of what I'm watching (Generally speaking. Best Exotic Marigold Hotel was a big mistake.)

I also do the list (as much as possible) in order from top to bottom. Having it be so linear also cuts out indecision time.

Eh, maybe?

My brother's best friend was definitely well-off and came from a very financially stable, supportive family. He died of an overdose three days before Christmas five years ago.
My language was bad. I didn't mean to imply that rich white kids don't die. They do. I have lost some good friends too.

I frankly don't think that a lot of people think about such people as having amazing potential. It makes saving "talented" people seem like more of a moral imperative and frames their addiction problems as being part of their fragile, gifted-but-complex minds.

At the same time, I'm reluctant to diminish anyone's experience with something as harrowing as trying to support a person with serious addiction issues.
You are 100% correct and I will check my blanket statements in the future. I think I just have a problem with Timothee Chamelot, to be honest, and it bled over into my critique of the film. I'm still not all on board with the film for several reasons, but I can be glad it exists for whomever it touches.

In the interest of full disclosure, I realized I messed up on my list. I presumed that Amazon Prime would give me films that were really from Lebanon. Just put on Endless? (2018) and thanks to IMDb, learned it was from Iran.

Welp, I guess it's Costa Brava, Lebanon now.

You are 100% correct and I will check my blanket statements in the future. I think I just have a problem with Timothee Chamelot, to be honest, and it bled over into my critique of the film. I'm still not all on board with the film for several reasons, but I can be glad it exists for whomever it touches.
I don't have a problem with Chalamet, but I agree that it's kind of damning that we feel the need to make the face of an addiction film a very attractive, wealthy/talented white person. And obviously if it were just in this one specific case, whatever, it's biographical. But it tends to be a trend in how stories about drug use are told and that implies that as an audience/society we only find the loss of certain peoples' lives/potential to be tragedies worthy of a film.

The people in Requiem for a Dream are just regular folks. Now there is a hard core movie about drugs. Clean and Sober, which was Michael Keaton's break out dramatic role is an excellent movie about alcoholism and AA. And again he is just a regular guy, no promising young man.

The people in Requiem for a Dream are just regular folks. Now there is a hard core movie about drugs. Clean and Sober, which was Michael Keaton's break out dramatic role is an excellent movie about alcoholism and AA. And again he is just a regular guy, no promising young man.
There are some really great films about working class addiction. I think Requiem is a bit extreme, but for realism, "Winter's Bone" with Jennifer Lawrence.

The trick is not minding
Good addiction films;

-Christiane F
-Let me Fall
-Krisha
-Oslo, 31 August
Heard of Christiane F and Oslo, 31 August. The other two sound very interesting from what I’ve read.

Good addiction films;

-Christiane F
I do attribute this film (and a few other things) to me never becoming a heroin addict. It hit me close to home at an important stage in my life.

I actually own a few copies of it, including one in the original German, which does me no good since I cannot understand German and there are no subtitles! D'oh! I really need to rewatch it one of these days.

I do attribute this film (and a few other things) to me never becoming a heroin addict. It hit me close to home at an important stage in my life.

I actually own a few copies of it, including one in the original German, which does me no good since I cannot understand German and there are no subtitles! D'oh! I really need to rewatch it one of these days.
There's a 4K release of it out now with English subtitles which I'm dying to own. Pricey though.

There's a 4K release of it out now with English subtitles which I'm dying to own. Pricey though.
Darn, I would love to get that. I would be willing to pay the $30 for the movie, but the $15 shipping is a bit too much. Maybe I can find a different vendor.

Anyone already made a list of non-winning HoF films?

EDIT: Found 'em! I really tried my best to weed out duplicates (ie movies that lost one HoF but then went on to win another one). I might come through this again later and try to weed out all duplicates (ie any movie appearing here more than once).

HoF Non-Winners  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
As far as E1 is concerned, I made a MoFo list for you to easily find the films involved.
https://www.movieforums.com/lists/custom/423
SWEET
THANKS!! Already seen some very worthwhile.

Anyone already made a list of non-winning HoF films?

EDIT: Found 'em! I really tried my best to weed out duplicates (ie movies that lost one HoF but then went on to win another one). I might come through this again later and try to weed out all duplicates (ie any movie appearing here more than once).

HoF Non-Winners  
That is AWESOME. Thank you SO much for taking the time to do that.

With myself it was more about finding the ones I haven't watched since I've been in a lot of the HoFs lol

Here's what I put together with the only one I've seen so far
Hallmost Famous
watch 10 films that have been nominated in any MoFo Hall of Fame but never won
1. Farewell My Concubine aka Ba wang bie ji (1993) 1st Hall of Fame
2. Sonatine (1993) 6th Hall of Fame
3. The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) 9th Hall of Fame
4. The Set Up (1949) First Film Noir Hall of Fame
5. The Steel Helmet (1951) 50's Part II Hall of Fame
6. Kansas City Confidential (1952) Noir Part II Hall of Fame
7. Ida (2013) 11th Hall of Fame REVIEW
8. The Bravados (1958) Western Hall of Fame
9. One-Eyed Jacks (1961) Western Hall of Fame
10. Tokyo Godfathers (2003) Animation Hall of Fame

I mean, my amazing strategy is checklist-induced OCD. Would not recommend!

I actually really love this annual challenge. I normally waste so much time deciding what to watch. With this challenge I spend a few minutes researching each category, grab one or two titles, and boom. Generally speaking, it tends to up the quality of what I'm watching (Generally speaking. Best Exotic Marigold Hotel was a big mistake.)

I also do the list (as much as possible) in order from top to bottom. Having it be so linear also cuts out indecision time.
I REALLY need a little more discipline with mine and can see the benefits of researching AND watching at the same time since you're curiosity is piqued to inspire you to sit and watch.
I've been making my list and then trying to find the time AND the desire to watch any given movie.
With my last job, there was a lot of empty time to fill, which I would fill with movie watching. This new one has zero time for such, sadly, and so my previous slacker mode has only gotten worse and worse.
But I SOOO do love this annual challenge as well. A truly excellent way to delve outside my normal viewing and really explore.

Good addiction films;

-Christiane F
-Let me Fall
-Krisha
-Oslo, 31 August
Heard of Christiane F and Oslo, 31 August. The other two sound very interesting from what I’ve read.

I actually own a few copies of it, including one in the original German, which does me no good since I cannot understand German, and there are no subtitles! D'oh! I really need to rewatch it one of these days.
Had the opportunity to watch Christiane F in an HoF, which cricket nominated for; I also highly recommend seeing it. Like Kama, it hit me as well. The time frame and age are almost exactly mine at that time, and I found myself thinking back to that hazy time of extremes while viewing it and the few individuals I knew at the time that went beyond the recreational/hallucinogenic drugs my friends and I enjoyed into heroin and the like.

For myself, I went with something that caught my eye with a very young Al Pacino in his very first lead role Francis Ford Coppola showed the Studio Heads that Pacino could play the complexities of Micheal Corleone in The Godfather.The Panic in Needle Park (1971) So I'm pretty intrigued to check it out.

I completed my first category: Fantasy. High five to whoever recommended The Pied Piper. I couldn't find it streaming, so I bought a copy. It was worth it. My favorite of the bunch. The rest were ok.

C. Lets break this down, shall we?
[Pick one of the following genres and watch one film from each of its subgenres or themes listed]
1. [Fantasy: Sword & Sorcery] [Thriller: Legal] [History: Biopic] [Animation: Puppet]
2. [Fantasy: High Fantasy] [Thriller: Political] [History: Period Film] [Animation: Claymation]
3. [Fantasy: Magical Realism] [Thriller: Supernatural] [History: Alternate History] [Animation: Live Animation]
4. [Fantasy: Dark fantasy] [Thriller: Mystery] [History: Historical Drama] [Animation: Rotoscoping]

Fantasy:Sword & Sorcery - Jabberwocky by Terry Gilliam
Fantasy:High Fantasy-The BFG by Steven Spielberg
Fantasy:Magical Realism - A Monster Calls by J.A. Bayona
Fantasy: Dark Fantasy - The Pied Piper by Jiri Barta (1986)

I completed my first category: Fantasy. High five to whoever recommended The Pied Piper. I couldn't find it streaming, so I bought a copy.
A) That would be me that brought it up under recommendations. Got several seconds as I recall.

B) The purchase was nice, but not necessary. I was able to watch the film via YouTube.

Glad you liked it!