The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'll join the trend of leaking films that didn't make it from my ballot. I'll try to post a few movies every day. So, starting from the bottom:

#24 - The Captain (Der Hauptmann)

It's a story of a German deserter who steals a captain's uniform from a dead officer during the final stages of WW2. Not that much a war movie but a dramedy set during one.

#23 - Byzantium

Neil Jordan knows how to make a vampire film. Byzantium combines the familiar with something new. It's been ages since I saw this, but I remember it being good. Not a "true" horror film, but a drama with supernatural elements (if I recall correctly).

#22 - Impetigore

An Indonesian horror that stands here not only for itself but for the whole Indonesian horror boom of recent years. Spooky stuff.

#21 - Super 8

J. J. Abrams's version of E.T. and his best movie. It's weird how I don't like Spielberg's 80's classic but enjoy this one so much.

Also, the bottom of my ballot is far from set in stone. These are just the films that ended up being there the day I submitted my vote.

Seen: 43.5/93

My ballot (this far)  
I've really wanted to see Byzantium for a long while. It's high on my watchlist. Nice to see positive feelings about it.

I really liked Super 8 also but it was an early cut. Glad to see other love for it.

Haven't seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood yet but I will. While not every single Tarantino film will move me the same way, I'm always eager to see the next one.

List so far:
#2. Moonrise Kingdom #37
#4. Silver Linings Playbook #24
#5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri #44
#6. True Grit #40
#7. Arrival #12
#9. Brooklyn No chance for it.
#10. Hell or High Water #73
#11. Zero Dark Thirty #58
#13. The Nice Guys DNP #103
#15. Edge of Tomorrow #68
#24. Gone Girl #65
#25. Heaven Is For Real Will not place.

I post my 25 because, firstly, I voted for it because I thought there was no way anyone voted for it and it would be a 1-ponter. But I guess maybe somebody voted for it wayyyy down the line in votes that haven't been revealed. Still, just because I voted for it for a 1-pointer doesn't mean I loved it any less than the others on my list.

I forgot the opening line.
7. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - For many a movie it felt for a while like Quentin Tarantino wasn't really going anywhere. It felt like for the rest of his career he was just going to churn out exploitation westerns and war flicks, all of them odes to certain genre films. Now, don't get me wrong - it was a wonderful rut he was in, and the films he was churning out were must-sees, but all the same it was a kind of rut. Then along came Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and I felt like he'd finally found a direction again, while staying true to his exploitation roots. This film is Tarantino's most interesting movie since the underrated Jackie Brown, and it still remains a whole lot of fun into the bargain - another take on an alternate history that has an underdog character we can get behind without feeling a little guilty about it. It's a film that has things to say about the moviemaking of today and yesteryear, and takes the time to examine it's subject from inside and out. I really need to sit down and watch it a few more times - I've been going through a phase where I've put a little distance between myself and Tarantino films, so it didn't make my list, but it certainly deserves to be high up in the top 100 films of the decade.

Last night I watched Inside Out, which was fun.

Seen 86/94

My #23 - Paterson

As mentioned earlier in the countdown, I have Paterson on my ballot and could only cross my fingers and hope against hope that it would show. This is a film that forgoes any attempt at melodrama, which I think will start to alienate some people while watching it - but for me the film sparkles with it's low-key, moody examination of simple pleasures, and being a simple down-to-earth person with all the joys that can bring for those who take satisfaction from the small things in life. Paterson (Adam Driver) lives in Paterson, and writes poetry about the insignificant items he comes across in his day-to-day life - a kind of poetry that brings an essential beauty and mystification of the small and otherwise disregarded. It's this celebration of the mundane that really speaks to me, as I'm a person who can really see what this guy is seeing, and it's spiritually uplifting to share that point of view. I love Jim Jarmusch, and this is one of his really good ones.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I forgot the opening line.
#24 - The Captain (Der Hauptmann)

It's a story of a German deserter who steals a captain's uniform from a dead officer during the final stages of WW2. Not that much a war movie but a dramedy set during one.
I like this one quite a bit, and considered it for a place on my list.

My #23 - Paterson

As mentioned earlier in the countdown, I have Paterson on my ballot and could only cross my fingers and hope against hope that it would show. This is a film that forgoes any attempt at melodrama, which I think will start to alienate some people while watching it - but for me the film sparkles with it's low-key, moody examination of simple pleasures, and being a simple down-to-earth person with all the joys that can bring for those who take satisfaction from the small things in life. Paterson (Adam Driver) lives in Paterson, and writes poetry about the insignificant items he comes across in his day-to-day life - a kind of poetry that brings an essential beauty and mystification of the small and otherwise disregarded. It's this celebration of the mundane that really speaks to me, as I'm a person who can really see what this guy is seeing, and it's spiritually uplifting to share that point of view. I love Jim Jarmusch, and this is one of his really good ones.
I, too, had Paterson on my list, at #24, a simple, sweet, and enjoyable film. I wish more of us could be like Paterson and cut through the nonsense that is the so-called "rat-race" and live a simple life appreciating the simple beauties the world has to offer.

My list as of now, with two more to appear, including my highest ranked movie:
2. Take Shelter (#67)
3. Drive (#17)
4. Midnight in Paris (#45)
5. The Shape of Water (#52)
9. Nightcrawler (#55)
11. Birdman (#21)
13. Burning (#35)
14. Get Out (#19)
15. A Separation (#90)
16. Ex Machina (#49)
21. Shoplifters (#18)
22. Knives Out (#74)
23. Inside Llewyn Davis (#22)
24. Paterson (DNP)
25. The Mill and the Cross (1-pointer)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm not a fan of Quentin Tarantino, but I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood for this countdown, (mostly because it aired on one of the cable movie channels while I was looking for 2010s movies to record on the DVR). I didn't expect to like it, but I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Tarantino can make good movies if he can keep the violence down to a minimum. It still had a bit more violence than I would have liked, but it wasn't ridiculously over the top like most of his movies, and the movie was enjoyable.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood....not seen it, don't want to. Not surprised it made the countdown.
I think you would dig it if you skipped the last 20 minutes.
Yea the ending is violent, but it is very sweet.

@Citizen Rules,
If I can get through this movie, including the last 20 minutes, so can you. And I not only got through the whole movie, but I actually liked it too.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
If I can get through this movie, including the last 20 minutes, so can you.
The question is does getting through it with your eyes covered count?

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

@Citizen Rules,
If I can get through this movie [Once Upon a Time In Hollywood], including the last 20 minutes, so can you. And I not only got through the whole movie, but I actually liked it too.
Thanks GBG. For me it's not about being too gross or too bloody. It's about being too damn annoying. Of course I don't know how the ending is, but if it's buffoonish like John Dumbear said, then I'd be spending the last 20 minutes like this Tarantino usually makes me do this I just can't stand his silliness, though the bulk of his movies are often well made he always seems to do add in some silly kitsch crap. Who know maybe Once Upon a Time In Hollywood might be one that I actually like.

I don't think so. What's the year on the short?

There are three shorts : Blackout, Nexus Dawn & 2048.
They were released before the release of the sequel, & are available for free on YouTube. Basically, they connect the original with the sequel.

Two more films on my list are on a "day-to-day" basis. Tomorrow we get to the point where the movie should have a spot on my ballot on any given day.

#19 - The Third Murder

This thriller is my favorite Kore-eda. Sadly the version I watched had relatively poor subtitles, but it was a compelling mystery nonetheless.

#17 - The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion

A Korean action film that starts a bit slow but keeps on escalating. Sadly the sequel released last year was garbage.

Seen: 43.5/94

My ballot (this far)  

Two more films on my list are on a "day-to-day" basis. Tomorrow we get to the point where the movie should have a spot on my ballot on any given day.

#19 - The Third Murder

This thriller is my favorite Kore-eda. Sadly the version I watched had relatively poor subtitles, but it was a compelling mystery nonetheless.

#17 - The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion

A Korean action film that starts a bit slow but keeps on escalating. Sadly the sequel released last year was garbage.
Both were on my long list. The Witch: Part 1 came closest to making my ballot.

Actor stats

Scarlett Johansson, Leonardo DiCaprio
And the pic of DiCaprio is from a film from the 90's? I mean, it's almost certainly better than anything he was in this last decade, but still.

Those commentary threads are killing it!
Of course they are. There were a couple of hundred posts per viewing at least.

But the 90s thread has this:

It's also missing all the images. Stupid imageshack. Wish I still had them.
I adore this. It's actually better than any film on this official list.

Not seen the last reveal (obviously)

A system of cells interlinked
No vote from me for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I liked it quite a bit, but cut it fairly early.

And the pic of DiCaprio is from a film from the 90's? I mean, it's almost certainly better than anything he was in this last decade, but still.
I'm not even going to bother saying it again, but I think you know what I'm thinking right now.

Had no Tarantino on my ballot, though Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was one of the last ten I cut. Something just about as bloody as a Tarantino flick that I did vote for but did not come anywhere close to the collective is Blue Ruin (2013). Written and directed by Jeremy Saulnier, whose also excellent and even bloodier Green Room is in my top hundred for the decade, it is an efficiently mean, pulpy Neo Noir about the cost of revenge and family secrets. It stars Macon Blair as a drifter who learns about the impending release of the man who murdered his parents twenty years ago. He makes his way back to his Virginia hometown and follows him and his family from the prison gates to a restaurant where he promptly stabs and kills the newly sprung man in the bathroom...and that is only the beginning.

It was twentieth on my ballot.

HOLDEN PIKE’S LIST
2. The Tree of Life (#10)
4. Incendies (#30)
5. Take Shelter (#67)
6. The Artist (#87)
8. Silence (#43)
9. Birdman (#21)
10. The Revenant (#53)
11. The Favourite (#61)
12. A Hidden Life (DNP)
13. Hunt for the Wilderpeople (DNP)
14. Nightcrawler (#55)
15. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (#72)
16. Her (#9)
17. The Wolf of Wall Street (#11)
18. Blade Runner 2049 (#8)
19. Silver Linings Playbook (#24)
20. Blue Ruin (DNP)
21. Room (#97)
22. True Grit (#40)
24. Get Out (#19)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

In addition to also being one of the stars of Green Room, Macon Blair also wrote and directed another good and satisfyingly weird movie of his own that I also like quite a bit: I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore.

Had no Tarantino on my ballot, though Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was one of the last ten I cut. Something just about as bloody as a Tarantino flick that I did vote for but did not come anywhere close to the collective is Blue Ruin (2013). Written and directed by Jeremy Saulnier, whose also excellent and even bloodier Green Room is in my top hundred for the decade, it is an efficiently mean, pulpy Neo Noir about the cost of revenge and family secrets. It stars Macon Blair as a drifter who learns about the impending release of the man who murdered his parents twenty years ago. He makes his way back to his Virginia hometown and follows him and his family from the prison gates to a restaurant where he promptly stabs and kills the newly sprung man in the bathroom...and that is only the beginning.

It was twentieth on my ballot.

HOLDEN PIKE’S LIST
2. The Tree of Life (#10)
4. Incendies (#30)
5. Take Shelter (#67)
6. The Artist (#87)
8. Silence (#43)
9. Birdman (#21)
10. The Revenant (#53)
11. The Favourite (#61)
12. A Hidden Life (DNP)
13. Hunt for the Wilderpeople (DNP)
14. Nightcrawler (#55)
15. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (#72)
16. Her (#9)
17. The Wolf of Wall Street (#11)
18. Blade Runner 2049 (#8)
19. Silver Linings Playbook (#24)
20. Blue Ruin (DNP)
21. Room (#97)
22. True Grit (#40)
24. Get Out (#19)

Had both this and Green Room hovering around my list.

Django Unchained grew on me after a couple viewings which is why it made my ballot. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I loved right away so it sits as the eleventh best film of the decade for me. I actually went into this not wanting, or expecting, to like it. There was TOO much hype for this to possibly live up to, but live up it did. It's no secret that I don't enjoy Leo's acting but this is my favorite performance of his by a large margin. He's so funny and I never thought he had comedy in him (haven't seen TWoWS). Pitt is once again too cool. His encounters with the family are always entertaining especially his final encounter with the Devil and his demons, which had me rolling with laughter. Damn Hippies!

My number 25 film probably isn't going to show but it was a film that was discussed a bit earlier in the countdown. It's a low budget, small cast, time travel/alternate universe flick. It's not the best acted, it isn't going to blow you away with visuals but it sucked me in with it's wtf is going on plot. I've seen it a couple times which seems par for a movie like this. Grab you're glow sticks, that film is: