A movie about an abandoned dog that survives on his own.

Tools    

Hi every one!

When I was 7-8 years old I saw an american movie. I would love to see it again. It was aired 86-87 (on swedish television) and my guess is it was a few years old. Probably produced in the 70's.

Plot of the movie

The movie take place in the american countryside probably in the 60'-70's. It's about an old man living with his big dog, It could have been a Leonberger/Golden retriver.

One day the man is forced to leave his house, probably is he sent to jail. It's unclear to me why.
I remember that sceen when he leaves his house filling up the dogs bowl on the porch, but later that day the rain pouring down and destroys all food for the dog, that desperately waiting for his owner to come back home.

But he doesn't. The dog is abondoned and tries to survive on his own. And defending the house from wild animals that invades the house.

When the old man finaly returns a year or more later the dog is still alive and waiting for him. The old man can't blive his eyes, and he burst out in tears.

Sidenote

This is from an 8-year old perspective with out any knowledge of english. Anything I said, could have been different and doesn't need to be exacly right.

Thank you for taking the time to read all this. And sorry for poor english.

Do you remember if it was a 'long' movie or more of a cartoon?

I wasn't clear but it was a movie with actors. But I can't recall who it was. For me the old man was in his 60's or even older. But again I was a child

No it was not A dog of Flanders