Ranking the film adaptations of Dennis Lehane's great novels

Tools    

I must say I love the work of Dennis Lehane, both his superbly written mystery/neo-noir novels (13 up to now) and his writing for television, including his penning several episodes of two landmark TV series (The Wire & Boardwalk Empire), writing the teleplays for two miniseries of Stephen King's novels Mr Mercedes (2017) & The Outsider (2020), and most recently, creating/writing and producing his own acclaimed 2022 miniseries, Black Bird.

In terms of Dennis Lehane's thirteen novels, 5 of them have been turned into theatrically released movies so far. They are:

2003 - Mystic River - The first Dennis Lehane novel to be turned into film, and still my personal favourite Lehane adaptation (screenplay by Brian Helgeland). A haunting modern tragedy, with powerhouse acting by the entire ensemble cast including Sean Penn (who won the Best Actor Oscar for his performance), Tim Robbins (who won for Best Supporting Actor), Kevin Bacon, Laurence Fishburne, Emmy Rossum, Laura Linney & Marcia Gay Harden. Directed with his usual no-fuss mastery of the craft by Clint Eastwood...and Clint also wrote the film's beautiful, elegiac music score.

2007 - Gone Baby Gone - Ben Affleck's directorial debut, he also wrote the screenplay, this being the first of his two ventures into adapting Lehane for cinema. Another complex and memorable urban tale, portrayed by another great ensemble cast, including Morgan Freeman, Ed Harris, Michelle Monaghan, Amy Ryan, & Ben Affleck's younger brother, Casey.

2010 - Shutter Island - This dark, psychological thriller was the fourth of the six collaborations to date between Leonardo DiCaprio and director Martin Scorsese (I'm including the highly anticipated and yet to be released Killers of the Flower Moon in that count of six). Brilliance is what moviegoers have come to expect during the past 2 decades from the DiCaprio-Scorsese teaming, and in Shutter Island, brilliance is again what we get - and I can certainly understand why many might place this at No 1 in terms of Lehane adaptations to the big screen.

2014 - The Drop - Originally a Dennis Lehane short story entitled 'Animal Rescue', included as part of the 'Boston Noir' collection, the author adapted the story into a screenplay and at the same time, turned it into a novel. The ever-charismatic Tom Hardy and the much-missed James Gandolfini (in his final screen role before his untimely death), play off each other superbly, and I love the final 'twist in the tale'.

2016 - Live By Night - Ben Affleck's second screen adaptation of a Lehane novel. This time, Affleck not only wrote the screenplay and directed, but also starred in the movie. This one got something of a hard time from many critics, but I rather like its hybrid of gangster movie + film noir (two of my favourite genres).

So I'm a fan of all 5 of the Lehane cinematic adaptations to date, but to give my specific order of preference it would be (with a close call between 1 & 2):

1. Mystic River
2. Shutter Island
3. Gone Baby Gone
4. The Drop
5. Live By Night

How about you ?

The trick is not minding
I’ve seen only the first four, but my ranking might be about the same as yours. The Drop is particularly good, and enjoyed it at the cinema.

I've seen Gone Baby Gone, which was excellent and actually improved on re-watch and I think Mystic River was flawless. I read the book for Mystic River, but not for Gone Baby Gone.

Love Shutter Island.

Haven't seen Live By Night.

The Drop made no impression on me.

Gone Girl and Mystic River are exactly the kinds of movies I don't like. So they can be tied for last

1. Gone Baby Gone
2. Shutter Island
3. The Drop
4. Mystic River
5. Live by Night
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Haven't seen Shutter Island but now that I know it's based on a Dennis Lehane novel? I'll have to read the book. As for the other four ...

I have really enjoyed all of Affleck's directorial efforts (I still wish they had let him direct his own Batman movie) but The Drop is in the lead followed closely by Live By Night then Mystic River followed closely by Gone Baby Gone. But they're all grouped so closely together that it's not a question of one being clearly better or one lacking. It's just personal preference.