Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: 9/10.

Formerly my favorite in the franchise. Still a great film. While I understand why Spielberg and Lucas chose to steer back to a similar approach to Raiders, the structural similarity is what keeps it from a 10 for me. Still one of my favorite sequels ever.

Victim of The Night

By http://www.impawards.com/2016/doctor_strange_ver3.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=50143602

Doctor Strange - (2016)

Talking about good looking films, this one had it's moments. Another origin film from Marvel, and that had me grinning and bearing it - I'm kind of tired of having to be shown how this or that character came to get their powers and become who they eventually become. Benedict Cumberbatch is a good fit though, and I look forward to his first real adventure as the character he's evolved into. Loads of interesting ideas and effects - and I love the neon-lit colourful palette this film wields, but it's mostly in service to a well-worn conventional 'bad guys want to destroy the world' plot, and a very unimaginative "Dormammu" - something that had been built up and built up, only to be a visual let-down for me. Great seeing Mads Mikkelsen and Tilda Swinton in a Marvel film.

6/10
This is one that makes me scratch my head a lot because of how many people really liked it including friends who really aren't into super-hero movies at all.
I grew up on this character in the 70s and 80s and I found this movie incredibly underwhelming (not bad, just underwhelming) and agree with all of your points. It was the same thing again, the villains' motives were just short-hand mustache-twirling, and Dormammu, visually one of my favorite comic villains of all time, was an incredible let-down. Why they didn't just have him be what he is in the comics, which would have been awesome as shit, is beyond me.
Furthermore, they really changed the character of Strange, which is fine, they've changed lots of characters and that rarely bothers me, but they changed him to be as much like Tony Stark as they could possibly get away with and they totally did it on purpose with the hope that they'd be able to replace Tony with Stephen. But Cumberbatch isn't Downey so this just keeps falling flat, movie after movie.

I watch a lot of OK movies to find these gems. These are some I recently enjoyed

Central Station - Brazilian
Santa Sangre - Country?
99 homes - 2014
Intacto aka Intact - Spanish one of my favs
A Prophet - French
Kingdom of Silence - Documentary

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

Go see this movie. It's one of the year's best.

I never saw the original film, but I have heard it's not great.
I thought it was. Great voice work from Banderas, Hayek and especially Zach Galifianakis as Humpty Alexander Dumpty. Since you liked the sequel you'll probably really dig the first one.

The Great Silence is an Italian western set in the snowbound Utah territory. The protagonist is a mute gunfighter named Silence, who is thrust into the middle of a bloody conflict between outlaws and bounty hunters. He is hired by a widow to kill the ruthless bounty hunter Loco, who murdered her husband for the reward.

I really enjoyed this movie. It's well-paced, features a couple of vulnerable but strong heroes, and has a despicable villain. Silence had his vocal cords severed as a kid, but he still manages to be a compelling character through gestures and facial expressions alone. Pauline is a widowed black woman, who takes it upon herself to fight back against the oppressive bounty hunters despite all the odds against her. The villain Loco is played by Klaus Kinski, so the role must have been a natural fit for him.

It was interesting to see bounty hunters portrayed in such a negative light, considering they are the protagonists in quite a few westerns. I could definitely feel the frustration of not being able to fight them with the law on your side, since what they were doing was legal at the time. The outlaws they are hunting are shown as sympathetic figures, hiding out in the woods and desperate for food. It was cool to look at the Wild West in a darker light and not be as glorified as usual.

The most subversive aspect of The Great Silence is the ending and it didn't work for me. I'm fine with downbeat finales, but I felt this went a bit overboard. I thought it said a lot that they had to add closing narration to justify it. I get that the point was that the system always wins in the end, but I don't think it served the characters well.

Glass Onion (2022)

I dont have much to add that hasn't already been said by someone else. The first was slightly better, but this was still very enjoyable. Still not my genre though.

The Big 4 (2022)

This one was recommended on The Flop House podcast, so I figured I'd give it a go (I'm guessing there are a few Flop House listeners here?). Big 4 is an Indonesian action/comedy that tries to be a bit like John Wick meets The Three Stooges. Lots of martial arts mixed with lowbrow slapstick humor and a bit more heart than I'm used to in a dumb action movie.

It's a style of comedy that's not really my cup of tea and I probably wouldn't recommend this movie, but at the same time I found myself charmed and entertained by the indie campiness of this movie.

I enjoyed it more than Bullet Train, I'll say that much.

Husbands (1970)

+

I'm really drawn to the work of John Cassavetes. He didn't make many films so I probably should have seen them all by now. Here he stars with Peter Falk and Ben Gazarra, and these guys were born to come together. They are 3 best friends, and early on a 4th friend passes away suddenly. The 3 amigos get drunk, reflect, and drink some more. I thought it was very funny but not everyone will. I could relate to how these men got along and behaved. There's also an air of sadness throughout that really completes the film.

Husbands (1970)

+

I'm really drawn to the work of John Cassavetes. He didn't make many films so I probably should have seen them all by now. Here he stars with Peter Falk and Ben Gazarra, and these guys were born to come together. They are 3 best friends, and early on a 4th friend passes away suddenly. The 3 amigos get drunk, reflect, and drink some more. I thought it was very funny but not everyone will. I could relate to how these men got along and behaved. There's also an air of sadness throughout that really completes the film.
Probably my favorite Cassavetes film.

30th Hall of Fame (REWATCH)

Dog Day Afternoon (1975) -

This is my second time watching this film and my opinion of it is about the same as it was last time. I think the film is at its best when it shows the reactions the civilians have to Sonny throughout the day. Those scenes are all great. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the scenes which occur inside the bank. Sal isn't that memorable as Sonny's accomplice and the other bank workers are pretty bland as well. I do like the rare bit of tension in the bank (mainly in the first act) and how both groups eventually get along with each other, but even those elements grow a bit tiring as the film goes on, especially in the second half. But yeah, whenever Sonny exits the bank, the film gets me on board again. Whether you're referring to how Sonny becomes a celebrity amongst the civilians, the iconic "Attica!" scene, or how the civilians remain supportive of him after they learn he's from the LGBT community (I'm curious how well those scenes were received back in the day), those parts of the film are full of life. So much texture and detail is thrown into that one street, it feels like a vivid portrait of New York in the 70's which you could step into. Though yeah, all things considered, the film is a mixture of great and (somewhat) dull which provides a ceiling to my enjoyment of it.

Subway, 1985

Fred (Christopher Lambert) steals some documents from a gangster, then flees to an underground subway station where he hides out. He is visited from time to time by the gangster's girlfriend, Helena (Isabelle Adjani), who is maybe a bit in love with him. While hiding out, Fred befriends several other people who dwell in the subway, including a rollerskater (Jean-Hugues Anglade) and an eccentric drummer (Jean Reno).

What a mixed bag! While the central story totally failed to grip me, the film has enough moments of visual panache and enough sizzle from its performers to tip it into the right side of the like/dislike line.

It's not that the plot is missing or confusing or anything like that, but very little of it ended up being very interesting to me. A lot of this has to do with Fred, who comes off pretty flat as a character despite all of the wacky situations he finds himself in. I never totally bought the way that the other characters seemed to be enamored with him, and I honestly found it hard to invest in his journey aside from the base level fact of him being the protagonist. This feels like a mix between the way that the character is written and the way that Lambert performs him. And the more Adjani stares at him with deep feeling, the less I bought it.

But while the central character is kind of a void, the characters around him are pretty delightful. Adjani is her usual, dependable self. She really shines in a sequence where she decides to basically detonate her relationship with her oppressive boyfriend by acting up during a stilted dinner party at his friend's house. She is really luminous through the whole film. Likewise, both Anglade and Reno are wildly charismatic in their respective roles.

There are also some really fun visual moments, mainly to do with the use of angles and how the characters are framed.

That said, it's really hard to stick with a film that asks you to care about a character who is kind of a charisma flatline. The visuals definitely kept me engaged, but I wish I'd felt more connected to the central story.

The trick is not minding

Subway, 1985

Fred (Christopher Lambert) steals some documents from a gangster, then flees to an underground subway station where he hides out. He is visited from time to time by the gangster's girlfriend, Helena (Isabelle Adjani), who is maybe a bit in love with him. While hiding out, Fred befriends several other people who dwell in the subway, including a rollerskater (Jean-Hugues Anglade) and an eccentric drummer (Jean Reno).

What a mixed bag! While the central story totally failed to grip me, the film has enough moments of visual panache and enough sizzle from its performers to tip it into the right side of the like/dislike line.

It's not that the plot is missing or confusing or anything like that, but very little of it ended up being very interesting to me. A lot of this has to do with Fred, who comes off pretty flat as a character despite all of the wacky situations he finds himself in. I never totally bought the way that the other characters seemed to be enamored with him, and I honestly found it hard to invest in his journey aside from the base level fact of him being the protagonist. This feels like a mix between the way that the character is written and the way that Lambert performs him. And the more Adjani stares at him with deep feeling, the less I bought it.

But while the central character is kind of a void, the characters around him are pretty delightful. Adjani is her usual, dependable self. She really shines in a sequence where she decides to basically detonate her relationship with her oppressive boyfriend by acting up during a stilted dinner party at his friend's house. She is really luminous through the whole film. Likewise, both Anglade and Reno are wildly charismatic in their respective roles.

There are also some really fun visual moments, mainly to do with the use of angles and how the characters are framed.

That said, it's really hard to stick with a film that asks you to care about a character who is kind of a charisma flatline. The visuals definitely kept me engaged, but I wish I'd felt more connected to the central story.

I see someone has selected her film for the Cinema Du Look category. 👀

I plan on watching this soon, as well.

Husbands - masterpiece. Cassavetes' at his most obnoxious level of Cassavetes'. What could be bad about that

Dog Day Afternoon - mid tier New American Cinema film (mostly important for containing one of the very few John Cazale performances)

Subway - the movie where it finally dawned on me that I don't like this Luc Besson guy.

Subway - the movie where it finally dawned on me that I don't like this Luc Besson guy.
He does some things well. But the perpetual lack of connection I feel with his protagonists is a frustrating trend. And also something something about totally average, flat male characters somehow being seen as deserving of attention and affection from women who are a billion times cooler than they are.

He does some things well. But the perpetual lack of connection I feel with his protagonists is a frustrating trend. And also something something about totally average, flat male characters somehow being seen as deserving of attention and affection from women who are a billion times cooler than they are.

I can live with not connecting with his characters (and I very much don't) but I mostly do not connect with his style and his particular cinematic voice. I find his movies sort of ugly and they have a deliberately detached feel that I believe is meant to be cool but just strikes me as an empty pose .

Nikita is....alright. I've warmed up a tiny bit to Element ( which I initially despised) but not much. And I've really struggled with everything else (Blue, Professional, Subway)

Not sure if I've seen anything else but I think I've seen enough. Possibly one of my least favorite directors who (inexplicably to me) get lots of love

I forgot the opening line.
I had an odd reaction to this film which was that I liked a lot of things about it, and yet it came up short for me in many of them.
The highlights, I thought, were the actors... except for one. Skarsgard and Isaac obviously stand out and Ferguson was very strong. I thought that Bardem, Momoa, and Bautista all shone in their respective roles except... they were all three so underdeveloped that it was almost like, "Hey, there's that star I know doing a great job with... basically nothing." And Zendaya has, to me at least, such astonishing on-screen presence that she nearly stole the movie without actually being in it (relatively).
And then there's Chalamet. I had only seen him in smaller roles like Ladybird and I was shocked at how flat I found him. Not just reserved or quiet or whatever one might claim he was going for but flat like a singer can be flat, unintentionally, and kind of jarringly on his own but particularly when set against the great talent around him. He was like the anti-Zendaya in that he's really pretty, striking in fact, but every time he opens his mouth I wish they'd gotten a different actor, while Zendaya is striking and when she finally opens her mouth I felt the movie should be revolving much more around her (yes, I know that's not how the story goes but still).
Finally, my biggest complaint was that, despite its 156 minutes, the whole thing felt rushed to me. Very rushed. The story is just too big. For Villeneuve to include all the necessary plot-points and action to even make it make sense and have his nice, long, silent visuals, I guess he had to sacrifice character. I felt like I barely knew any of these characters. And there are a lot of them. Isaacs is genuinely regal in this film and yet he's barely on screen and mostly in service to exposition, which is a damn shame. Momoa and Bautista almost end up completely wasted because you have to be told that they matter (Momoa) or given visual cues that they are supposed to stand out (Bautista, and even then if he wasn't famous I might have missed it) because they aren't around long enough to really have any sense of who they are or why we should care. The movie has no choice but to rush from plot-point to plot-point while pausing just long enough for Villeneuve to Villeneuve which leaves no time for me to be invested in anything that's happening.
I left, with a pair of absolute fans, feeling like I had somehow been rushed through the longest ride in amusement park history and therefore had only enjoyed moments of it, left with very little to feel about the whole, long thing.
I agree with you about Javier Bardem - we feel curiously distanced from his character, and it therefore feels like he's not really in the film. Dave Bautista was barely in the film, and from what we got I wish we'd seen more of him. I wonder what exactly ended up on the cutting room floor. I thought Jason Momoa's Duncan Idaho had a lot more to do, and you can kind of glean his character a lot more from his physicality and presence. Timothée Chalamet I was unsure about - since yeah, not a multi-layered performance - but I just came down on his side in the end, and I was probably being far too kind. His role is kind of crucial, but amongst the plethora of great acting in Dune his name never pops into my head. I'm sure if Villeneuve and Chalamet could have another go at it, they'd change things. I mean, I've seen from Call Me by Your Name that the guy can act, and I think he kind of found himself with this child-among-adults part and dialed it down to spoiled but well-trained boy trying to be a man instead of just giving Paul Atreides a personality, and playing him as just another guy in the story. People playing messianic roles tend to dilute them of any idiosyncrasies and character - instead freeing them from flaw and giving them a perfect and boring temperament.

Denis Villeneuve's film is far from the perfect cinematic version of Dune that seems like a Holy Grail for the history of film - but I really enjoyed the snapshot we got. What it lacked in depth it made up for with scale, some great performances and production design. It's shallow, but so beautiful that it's entrancing and extremely likeable. I can't get the whole story from this film alone, but it makes for a very nice compendium to Frank Herbert's legendary tale. I'm surprised this film didn't extend itself to a 200 minute running time, but I expect it might have drawn criticism for being too punishing in an era where audiences are getting tired of this trend of longer and longer runtimes. Because everything was so good, I would have liked more of everything too - especially the things you pointed out - but I thought it was a very good film in spite of that drawback. You see, I came into it expecting to be blown away with Dune's sound and vision, and expecting little else. It sounds like you went in hoping for more depth, story and character. I brought that along with me like a packed lunch, but I can't imagine what this film might be like to people who have never read Dune or seen Lynch's version of it.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Snapshot (aka The Day After Halloween), 1979

Angela (Sigrid Thornton) is a young woman who works as a hairdresser, and finds herself chafing under the constant criticism of her overbearing mother and supposedly perfect little sister. One day a client at Angela's saloon, Madeline (Chantal Contouri), poaches Angela away to come and do some modeling for a friend of hers, Linsey (Hugh Keays-Byrne). After reluctantly agreeing to do a topless shoot, Angela finds herself the object of a lot of attention, most of it unwelcome. And things get worse as her much-older boyfriend, Daryl (Vincent Gil) steps up his campaign of stalking and harassment.

This movie almost comes together, though I left it feeling that it was a near miss. There are some striking moments of staging and some fun character twists, but overall its peek inside the dark side of the modeling world ends up feeling like a much lesser version of something like The Neon Demon.

I really liked Thronton's performance as Angela. She's just old enough to want her independence, but frequently in over her head. As with any young person, I found myself frequently alternating between annoyance and sympathy for the choices she makes. Angela often realizes just a beat too late what's really going on around her, and that dynamic puts her perpetually in iffy situations.

The supporting cast is also pretty good. Keays-Byrne is a lot of fun at the "artsy" photographer who can't really be bothered to reconcile his pretensions at great art with his pandering to an audience that just wants to see naked young people. In most films the character of Linsey would have been overtly predatory, but here he's made just a bit more complex because we can see the fracture between who he wants to be and the reality of the kind of work that gets him a paycheck.

Contouri also gives a good performance as the seemingly carefree Madeline. How exactly she feels about Angela seems always a bit obscured. Is she genuinely happy for her success? A bit jealous? Maybe both? The film also frequently hints that Madeline might actually be gay (or bisexual), and so she acts as both Angela's best ally and confidant and as another character who might just be out to exploit the young woman.

There are some effectively thrilling or tense sequences, such as when Angela finds herself in the home of a man who promises to help her in her career, just as long as he can take some candid shots---tasteful nudes, of course. (Apparently scenes that were cut from the film let us know that this character is supposed to be Madeline's husband, which certainly puts a really different spin on this scene!). All through the film Daryl lurks at the edges, and in one part Angela returns to the apartment to find that there's someone sleeping in her bed. At its best, the film shows us a person who is at the mercy of so many people around her--all of whom claim to want to help or love her--that she can't tell where the real threats are coming from.

Ultimately, though, it doesn't quite hang together. The film introduces and then drops several characters. At times the glut of characters is effective because we can understand just how overwhelmed Angela is. But a lot of the time it feels more sloppy than intentional. When things move into the final act and we come to understand just who has really been behind all of the bad things happening to Angela, it feels a bit limp. Our attention has been pulled in so many directions that all I could muster was, "Oh. Yeah. I guess that makes sense."

There's definitely potential in the story, and some of the characters are a lot of fun. In the end, though, it just didn't cohere for me.