Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Out of more than 2,000 films rated on IMDb, only 25 of them gets that low a score from me. But yeah, nothing worked for me in that film.

And no I haven't, I never bothered.
Oh...

I did. You're really missing out...

Have either of you seen the Outer Limits episode Quality of Mercy with Nicole DeBoer? It has some similarities to the Cube.
EEEEEEEEGGGGGGHHHHH I gotta watch that.

I listened to, like, the entire Twilight Zone series of audiobooks. Now I want to watch the show as well as Outer Limits and Tales From The Darkside, but I haven't got to them yet.

I remember Tales From The Darkside, great show! I have all of the older Outer Limits on DVD set, I wish I had the newer show as well.
I'm extremely picky about what I buy to keep, but a good DVD set of The Twilight Zone would be an easy buy if it's as good as I remember.

Tales from the Crypt was also interesting. I honestly saw more of that than Outer Limits.

Event Horizon (1997)
Director: Paul W.S. Anderson
Cast: Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill, Kathleen Quinlan
Genre: Sci-Fi Horror

Date 2047: A star ship the 'Event Horizon' that had mysteriously disappeared into a black hole seven years earlier suddenly reappears in orbit around Neptune. A rescue team is dispatched to investigate and salvage the mystery ship.

Event Horizon has some things going for it...and some things against it. The concept of a long lost star ship reappearing after it had mysteriously disappeared into a black hole apparently having traveled to another dimension, which might be Hell...and then, bringing something back from that dark evil place, is a cool idea!

But I wish they would have explored the concept of what Hell was like and how it manifested itself on the ship in more detail. This could have had some deep existential ideas and explored some unique concepts. Instead we get a fun-horror-gore movie with people dying in gruesome ways. Event Horizon could have been so much more.

To me the ship was the best thing as there wasn't much of character development and not much in the way of intriguing story lines. I liked the way the ship was mostly dark inside which made it look realer and creepier too. The outer space scenes looked really good. I'd give a 5/5 rating for the art design! The ship was one of the best I've seen in sci fi, especially the rotating hallway and the singularity engine drive which looked like a giant gyroscope. Very cool.

Since this movie first came out those sets have been copied in other sci fi movies and have become iconic staple of sci fi.

Two big name actors appear in this, Laurence Fishburne and Sam Neill. Sam Neil especially works well in his role. He's a pivotal part of the story and makes for an interesting character.

Event Horizon is best taken as fun entertainment, it has a great look, an interesting concept and if you like gore it's got that too.

+

The Hidden (1987)
Director: Jack Sholder
Cast: Kyle MacLachlan, Michael Nouri, Claudia Christian
Genre: Sci Fi Action
Length: 96 minutes

An alien parasite with the ability to possess human bodies, goes on a violent crime spree in Los Angles. Pursued by a human cop and also by an alien cop who's inhabiting a human body.

Well not much is hidden there in that pic The Hidden reeks of the 80s...and in a good way! If it was made today the director would get high praise for his parody of all things 1980s. I mean we get people listening to 'boom boxes', driving Ferrari's, a 'new wave' soundtrack and all those 80's fashions, like that revealing red dress!

There's a lot of gun play and people drop like flies but it's never overly violent or sadistic. Best of all this film has a sense of humor about itself. I loved how the 'hidden' alien in human form loved to rock out to obscure 80s rock/pop music but flies into a range when country music is played! Now that's funny! Never a dull moment in this film.

The film opens with one heck of an exciting chase scene in a Ferrari as bullets fly, its exhilarating. The man driving like a bat out of hell is veteran actor, Chris Mulkey.

The Hidden alien takes several forms, played by different actors and continually shifts bodies, which thwarts the hard work of the police. The police are clueless and think they have an unrelated string of homicides. Little do they know what's in store for them.

The film takes on a new level of violence when the alien takes over a strippers body,
played by Babylonian 5, Claudia Christian. You almost end up rooting for her, because, well she's so hot!

Hot on her tracks is the new 'cop' in town played by
Kyle MacLachlan. This cop is a bit odd, he doesn't seem to understand human behavior but he knows how to locate the alien.

Even the beer taste like the 80s, that's George Killian's Irish Red beer they're drinking.

The Hidden is one heck of a fun movie. It never drags and often surprises.

+

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	hiddenup.png
Views:	1989
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	23601  

Pandorum (2009)
Director: Christian Alvart
Cast: Dennis Quaid, Ben Foster, Cam Gigandet
Genre: Sci-Fi Horror Action
Length: 108 minutes

On a huge derelict spaceship adrift in space, two crew members wake up from deep stasis sleep with no knowledge of what their mission is or even who they are. They're forced to explore the strange ship in attempt to find clues to their identities. In the dark corridors of this huge space craft they encounter some violent predatory creatures lurking in the shadows.

I didn't care for this film, it seemed to be more of a generic horror/monster film that just happens to be set in space. The sci fi elements were weak, other than the ship there wasn't much in the way of sci fi. There was no real storyline either or interesting tidbits, no 'universe building' within the movie. We never really get to know or care about the characters. What we get is a real long survival flick set against numerous movie zombies.

I got a feeling this film was shot with saving money in mind: it was very dark lighting which equates to: no need to make expensive sets. I could hardly see the ship or any details it was so dark... and what I did see made me feel like it was a movie set. In movies like Event Horizon or Alien they show us really cool looking ships that seemed believable. In Pandorum nothing was believable and most all scenes were close ups of actors which took away from the feel of being in space.

I didn't care for the characters either, we don't learn anything about them, there just huge blanks. If I don't care about the characters or the story then why watch. In the end I was hoping the zombies would just eat them all so the movie could end.

Barefoot in the Park (1967)
Director: Gene Saks
Writers: Neil Simon (play & screenplay)
Stars: Robert Redford, Jane Fonda, Charles Boyer
Genre: Comedy Romance

Paul (Robert Redford) is a quiet, well mannered young lawyer who has just married the vivacious and extravagant Corie (Jane Fonda). After a passionate six night honeymoon in an upscale hotel, the couple come down to reality when Corie rents a five flight high New York City apartment, with no elevators.

I did not like this. There was no story line, it was just a bunch of dialogue that I did not find clever...and the scenes seemed to run together. Very indicative of 'free form' films from 1967-1968.

A rom com works if you fall in love with the couple, as they fall in love, so do we....but Jane Fonda was annoying! She was stupid and whining and needed a good spanking...as she acted like a spoiled child.

She treated Robert Redford poorly but he never complained about the crummy apartment or her need to be so extravagant. But she couldn't accept him for what he was, a mellow, laid back guy. So it's hard to care about Jane Fonda's character when she's a real PITA. I can't image too many guys loving this film, unless it's too look at Jane in her undies.

On the flip side I could see how the ladies like this movie because Robert Redford is like a lost puppy dog and so they 'fall' for him as they root for him to get a fair break in life. I just wanted Robert Redford to get the hell away from crazy Jane.

Oh, I hated the cheesy music score too.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It's a shame that you didn't like Barefoot in the Park. It's one of my favorite movies.

I don't find Jane Fonda annoying in this movie. I love the way she just makes the most out of what little they have. She's seems like such a fun person who's not afraid to try new things. (Sadly, I'm more like Robert Redford's character.)

I gave you +rep for watching the movie, even though I don't agree with your rating.

It's a shame that you didn't like Barefoot in the Park. It's one of my favorite movies.

I don't find Jane Fonda annoying in this movie. I love the way she just makes the most out of what little they have. She's seems like such a fun person who's not afraid to try new things. (Sadly, I'm more like Robert Redford's character.)

I gave you +rep for watching the movie, even though I don't agree with your rating.
Thank you I appreciate the rep. I felt kind of bad giving the film a bad review as I know you like it. It's even on Roger Ebert's list of top films, so you are in good company. But as much as I thought I would love this film, I did not. I'll still give Redford and Fonda more chances. Maybe the Electric Horseman.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Thank you I appreciate the rep. I felt kind of bad giving the film a bad review as I know you like it. It's even on Roger Ebert's list of top films, so you are in good company. But as much as I thought I would love this film, I did not. I'll still give Redford and Fonda more chances. Maybe the Electric Horseman.

You're entitled to your opinion, even if I don't agree with it. I'm sure there are movies that you love that I don't care for. (Starship Troopers comes to mind.)

I love The Electric Horseman too, but it's a very different movie from Barefoot in the Park. I'm looking forward to your review of it.

The "Animals" film looks good - I'm a bit of a John Hurt fan. And, before I look it up on IMDB... that was young Christian Bale wasn't it? Christian Bale and John Hurt? Who'd have thunk it?

Oh Jeez - I just looked at the Prince of Jutland trailer! What is this, a Bale-a-thon?

Thanks MG, I can't click on the links right now as I'm downloading something and my slow-wonky internet might break the connection on the download. What are those films called?

Captain, the "The "Animals" film looks good" which one's are those?

The "Animals" film looks good - I'm a bit of a John Hurt fan. And, before I look it up on IMDB... that was young Christian Bale wasn't it? Christian Bale and John Hurt? Who'd have thunk it?

Oh Jeez - I just looked at the Prince of Jutland trailer! What is this, a Bale-a-thon?
Nah, Foster had a thread that I posted two clips .. one of each film.. because he was a very good actor before he was famous...

You like John Hurt.. have you seen???

Also, Im a fan of the Irish director Jim Sheridan... this is one of his films...