Asian Movie Challenge

Tools    

How is Norah Jones in My Blueberry Nights? Is she a good actress? Love her music.
Well, she was better than Natalie Portman ...

Seriously I thought she was fine. There were lots of issues with the film but I didn't think she was one of them and I was surprised it was her first movie role.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
How is Norah Jones in My Blueberry Nights? Is she a good actress? Love her music.
She isn't awful, but just sort of bland. The entire movie was pretty bland so I don't think it was her fault. She's like able enough in it. I like her music, too.

Yeah pretty much I didn't actually mind it but pretty sure I was a bit biased and focussed on it's good points. I feel as though he got sucked into making an "American" movie and it just didn't work. If you look at Fallen Angels so much of it was about what the characters did - not what they said. But in MBN there was far too much talking and it's not what he is good at IMO.
I completely agree. His best character didn't speak except in voice overs and the way the lead girl moved was what made her character. She always seemed as if she were about to have sex at any moment.

Norah Jones is in Ted too! But that's not Asian.
You're right, I forgot about that. She was pretty good in it, even though she was barely in it.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (Kim Ki-duk, 2003) -
+

Beautiful film that says a lot about life, death, suffering and rebirth using very little. It felt like a modern Buddhist parable. I loved it. It's the first of Ki-duk's films that I've seen, and I'm keen to see more.

My Asian Movie Count: 1

Sorry guys, I forgot about this thread.

Mardock Scramble: The Third Exhaust (Susumu Kudo, 2012)

A good conclusion to a so-so trilogy. This time, the pacing of the events feels right, and so does the development of the main character. The problem it has is as a part of a trilogy... specifically, that I haven't cared about the character of Rune in the previous two movies and this attachment is important to give emotional significance to this ending. So while I feel that this wraps the story up fairly well, it lacked in the emotional department and in the end was forgettable.

The flower girl - Kotpanum chonio (Choe Ik Kyu & Pak Hak, 1972)

This is the first North Korean movie I have ever watched. As expected, it is strongly politicized, to the point that looks a lot like a blatant pamphlet. This in some points becomes an issue because the insertion of this message looks artificial and cheapens the writing, but I think that it is easy to ignore due to the classic scheme of the story which makes it work on other levels. It works well, for instance, as a fable and as a story about a woman's suffering. The main acting is very good, so the emotional attachment is surprisingly solid with some intense scenes. In the end the biggest issue this movie has is in the way it tries to convey the emotional scenes, the abuse of characters screaming and falling dramatically ends up becoming annoying.

The wind rises - Kaze tachinu (Hayao Miyazaki, 2013)

The last Miyazaki movie is a quite odd farewell. I think it is clear that it is a very personal work, probably more than any of his previous ones; this in that sense is positive, and I'd say that one of the greatest qualities of this movie is that it transmits this feel of being deeply personal. On the other hand, it is different to the other Miyazakis in some points, it is darker and more disenchanted, which has become an issue for many people who expected a different kind of movie from this director. Not in my case, but I can understand the complaints. The biopic story is, however, a topic Miyazaki hadn't touched yet and this becomes its main and probably only weak point. It looks obvious to me that the director is not fully comfortable with the storytelling that is brought here; not being used to this fragmented biopic narrative makes room for irregularity and the work doesn't look as solid as it should be. Still, there is enough quality in here to make this an outstanding piece; starting with the wonderful, visually and story-wise, depiction of flying. While I don't share his tastes on this matter, Miyazaki always manages to transmit this genuine fascination to me in his movies. The love story on the other hand is nothing short of great and the paper glider scene, simply awesome. Adding to this there is the personal feeling for being able, for once, to watch a Ghibli movie in a theater, making this a very significant experience for me.

Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)

Well, what can I say about Stalker, a movie that contains so much beauty in every one of its frames that they could make the experience worth alone. Visually stunning, and in terms of its science fiction and the moral implications of the Zone, amazing. I would also like to mention that, even taking into account the slow and sort of heavy going pacing of this storytelling, the elements it throws, visual and conceptual, make this an almost constantly fascinating experience to me. In the end this first approach was satisfying enough for a movie I had built ridiculously high expectations on, and I assume this will be a great source to rewatch due to the many interpretations and intricacies this story allows, so I'm looking forward to further digging into its content.

My Asian movie count: 7

Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa, 1950)

This film is memorizing to watch and this easily one of Akira Kurosawa's best film that he directed besides The Seven Samurai and High and Low in my opinion. The acting was fun to watch, but Toshiro Mifune easily outshined the rest of the actors in this movie. If you haven't seen it yet for the Asian movie challenge, I would recommend you see it right now.
Rating: 10/10
My Asian movie count:1

Caterpillar

Late director of United Red Army Koji Watamatsu makes another family-friendly anti-war movie with a torso of a man dubbed War God by his countrymen. His wife is forced to take care of him because of her loveless marriage duties and need to serve the empire, and her acting chops kinda sell the whole story. Really intense and dark. Especially when she wheels him around the town. Or sings the caterpillar song. Damn.

IIII

Hansel & Gretel (2007)
Directed by: Pil-Sung Yim
My Rating:

Despite its title, it actually has almost nothing to do with the famous fairy tale. It's actually about this guy who gets in a car accident and meets this girl on the side of the road and she takes him back to her house which is just this really creepy house he can't seem to get away from. I didn't really care for the film too much. What's on screen is always either dull or just ridiculous. Good production value though.

My Asian Movie Count: 2

Chocolate -Prachya Pinkaew A martial arts film from Thailand about an autistic girl who learns to fight from watching television. The reason to watch this is the creative fight scenes. The story is a mess and it's full of cheese, but this little girl kicks serious butt and she does it for most of the movie. The best fight is between her and a boy that I believe has Tourette syndrome. It's not handled like the punch line a lot of movies might have made it; even if some of the characters are pretty silly, her illness is handled realistically and sensitively. It's too bad the movie isn't very good when she isn't fighting. C

My Asian Movie Count: 10

Chocolate wasn't that cheesy. But if you liked it you should also check out Merantau. Similarly interesting and creative fight scenes, I found the style to be a lot like Chocolate. The story is better though.

Gojira (Ishirô Honda, 1954) -

Classic monster movie! Fun all the way through. I kept thinking how cool it would be to be the guy in the Gojira suit, being able to cause mayhem on a miniature town. My favorite character was the paleontologist, wonderfully portrayed by one of my favorite actors, Takashi Shimura.

My Asian Movie Count: 2

Chocolate wasn't that cheesy. But if you liked it you should also check out Merantau. Similarly interesting and creative fight scenes, I found the style to be a lot like Chocolate. The story is better though.

Is the story a lot better because take away the fighting and it would have gotten a D from me. I liked the fighting but not enough to pursue another similar movie unless the rest of it is worth watching as well.

jiraffejustin, instead of just "feature films" you should allow entire series -- but only listed as one entry. of course i'm thinking of all those chinese cartoons.

Sonatine (Takeshi Kitano, 1993) –
+

I'm not big into gangster movies but this one really worked for me. Great score, some brilliant sequences, and overall just a very well-told film. Aniki was a fantastic character.

My Asian Movie Count: 3