Travel bucket lists, memories and more.

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
The piggies bit him probably because they are hopeful that anything near their mouths is food and it's worth the risk to test that theory.

Here's a shot of my rubber-band-torturing daughter when she and I went to England in 2008 (when she was 15). We budgeted SO well and it was a CHEAP vacation of 10 days and yet we saw so much stuff! I'm proud of us for doing it all by ourselves. Here she is at the Globe Theater (in the rain):

Here is hubby and me renewing our vows in Las Vegas with Elvis in 2000:

And here's one of my favorite pictures of hubby, on our most recent cruise. Doesn't he look like he's having fun?
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0108.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	29204   Click image for larger version

Name:	elvisvow.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	29205   Click image for larger version

Name:	10885286_10205376632237621_6124749389761077977_n.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	29206  

You can't win an argument just by being right!
LOL. Hubby is having a ball, for sure! Congrats on your renewal before Mr Presley.

nd the globe theatre looks like my gwinny pig house.

The Adventure Starts Here!
As for UPCOMING travel, I am about to cross something off my bucket list, perhaps the #1 item on that list. I'm going on a cross-country TRAIN TRIP with Amtrak the first half of May! Why? Because I've wanted to go on a cross-country train trip. Duh.

Actually, I'll also be writing a book during/about/on the trip. I've got the cover done already (I always seem to do the covers before I get the books done)...

And since it's primarily a book-writing trip, I am running an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign to give people an opportunity to preorder that book by supporting the trip or to donate more and get more of my books as a thank-you... The main campaign reached its goal, so I can continue the campaign up until the trip itself:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...-book-travel#/

I am SO excited about this trip. I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning!
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrainofThought400x600.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	29207  

Ooh Ooh. I want your book. Will throw a couple of rupee at your crowdfunder.

OK put me down for the bestie package, MsAus. I'll give the ebooks to my mother in law. The real books are mine, all mine BWAHAHAHA.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Dani - woah, glad everything turned out ok (somewhat).... I was curious about specifics when it came to problems because of skin color. Did someone say anything specifically?

I think the worst thing that happened was delayed payment from the farm, and also a lot of money being docked, but I would do it all over again, since I had some good times. Of course, I remember organizing a strike, to which everyone agreed (with the help of others who chimed in) but it rained a few hours later, so we couldn't work anyway, so I wonder..

But towards the end, many of us took extra days off, and wouldn't work. The way I looked at it was "Ok, I got ripped off, so let me use this accommodation to recoup a tad."

And people were terrified when they saw me and a few girls sleeping in a park - I didn't sleep great, but it was very interesting, and we had fun. Once me and my friend Robert went and found a food van (never paid for food again) and brought it back for everyone. Inside, I thought of "primitive" life. There was a guy (in our village, lol) and the girls gave me a few looks. Later they thought he was weird, but he actually shared a room with a guy we met at the farm, 3-4 hours by train.. He had a joint too.. After he left, my friend Robert said "He was ok" and I thought the rest of us probably had that reaction because it was a stranger and we didn't want any authorities coming to tell us we couldn't sleep there. During the day, we'd leave our stuff in a locker for a dollar, and we didn't lay out a tent.

Couchsurfing

I did get injured in the first month in Australia.. I've had chronic lower back problems, and this was the second time it was so bad that I had to lay in bed during New Year's Eve, weeks after..

It's nice reuniting with friends from the farm, and meeting new ones (via Couchsurfing)

More Couchsurfing... We stayed with a guy who lived a hundred yards from the ocean.

Now, come to think of it, the sad thing is the loss of friendship. Sometimes it happens naturally, and then sometimes while I'm looking through pictures, I realize someone unfriended me off Facebook, and I wonder why... It does hurt a little more when you think "This person is unlike the others" and then actions speak louder than words... But, the alternative would have been to stay home, and probably having less to show for it.

I hope you all kept journals -- I actually found someone I hadn't contacted since the airport, and after seeing her picture, I realized how we met. I guess I'm the type who would love to see how everyone is doing, but I know some people who are too self-conscious, and won't.

Dani - woah, glad everything turned out ok (somewhat).... I was curious about specifics when it came to problems because of skin color. Did someone say anything specifically?
Do you mean about being anglo when I was spat on? Yeah I was called the slur for white foreigner. Happened more to my travel companion because he was an aggro dick, whereas I tend to just cruise along until someone pushes me the wrong way.
I dont actually care about slurs. It's contracting TB from human spit that worries me.

I got my arms and hair touched a lot in east africa. I thought it was sweet. Usually just women and kids being innocently curious - I used to touch corn rows as well. Never got groped there. Never got groped by a 'scary muslim' ever.

Here re some more stories for those who dont want to travel, just so you know it's not all ponies and chocolate cake.

Met a girl in India who said she fell asleep with her head on her daypack. She woke up feeling what she thought was her daypack strap rubbing on her nipple. It was the finger of the old guy next to her. She had no idea how long it had been there.

Met an Israeli commando in China who had been in Kashmir the same time I was. He was with 3 other commandos. Two of them were shot by indian soldiers for looking 'muslim' and the surviving two rammed them and killed them. He told me that himself.

Two swedes skiing in kashmir when I was there were decapitated to get the attention of the UN.

Another Israeli in Ecuador. I'm short and this guy is shorter than me but tough as nuts. He went to an area of Colombia that was wrned against just to see what would happen. He was kidnapped by guerillas for rnsom. Like me he talks a lot and managed to talk his way out of it, even asking for a selfie when they said he was too annoying to put up with because he simply would not shut up about soccer. He told me that.

Congregated with cyclists in kenya at breakfast each morning, as you do when you're cycling or motorcycling. One guy was cycling in Uganda on his own when two guys jumped out of the bushes and grabbed his panier. Rather than let it go he got into a fight and while being bear hugged he bit the attacker on the cheek and took a chunk out while kneeing him in the balls until he passed out. The other attacker ran off. The cops flogged the first attacker for the name of the other guy and when they got it, shot the guy in the head. The other attacker was hunted down, brought back to the cop shop, and flogged to death. ll because the cyclist wanted to claim on insurance for a non existent walkman he said was stolen. He told me all of this himself. Really? Jesus christ. If I got mugged I would hand everything over and just ask to keep my memory card for my photos. It's just beeping stuff. You cn replace it.

Young guy in Bangkok who lost his mind. I had to cll his parents to come and get him.
Young guy in Ko Samui who was pushing people into bonfires. Same thing.
Two young guys in chitwn national park who had a psychotic break from hashish - same.
Notices everywhere in south asian hotels to take care packages to idiot backpackers/glampackers in prisons without trial.

Another guy told me he got bitten by a rabid dog and had to hve rbies injections. A huge horse needle stuck into his stomach by a doctor with filthy fingernails.

Toilets, high altitude sickness, cerebrl malaria, anaphylaxis - no biggy in the grand scheme of things but some of those stories are hair raising.

Still, I would go back tomorrow. I never experienced anything like this but 1. I have very good spatial awareness and 2. if I see trouble I back out of there.

Great photo of Istanbul, Dani. And some horrifying stories there, you've met a lot.

I don't think I could afford much to travel out of the country, so my target is on visiting all 50 states.
I saw some American guy found a return ticket to Paris with a price of 400 usd. Keep checking, you'll never know

Great photo of Istanbul, Dani. And some horrifying stories there, you've met a lot.
Always fun in retrospect, Elessar. Some of the best stories are the horror stories. Best one for me was being in a train crush in India. Hundreds of people pushing into a carriage with their chickens, lino, and the kitchen sink. Insane. I heard screaming and it took a while for me to realise that the screams were coming from my own mouth as I was about to hit the track below. Or my ridiculous aggro travel companion the first time I went to India jumping off a train wearing flip flops and landing in human poop. He got bashed for using the drinking water to wash his feet. And rightly so. They should have bashed a bit harder. White privilege at it's worst. That guy was a total dick. I was so happy when he got dysentery for flipping out that the latte he ordered was not a latte; I'm sure the waiter put sewer water in his next coffee (yes I will burn in hell for saying that. God, he was an ass clown. He even tried to take photos of floaters in the Ganges. Dude, seriously not cool to photogrph dead people at a sacred site)

Young guy in Bangkok who lost his mind. I had to cll his parents to come and get him.
Young guy in Ko Samui who was pushing people into bonfires. Same thing.
Two young guys in chitwn national park who had a psychotic break from hashish - same.
I heard a story in Thailand that one guy had taken too much drugs, and he went to a nearby bridge which was a tourist attraction. People were standing on the bridge with their arms folded on the railings looking down at the river. This guy began lifting their legs and raising them above his head, thus throwing them off the bridge.

No idea if it was true but I didn't stand still on a bridge for about a month.

I wouldnt be the least bit surprised, Scarlet. Young people go to places like thailand for their year out before going to university and break out. Buy whatever drugs they're offered for next to nothing, have absolutely no idea what goes into that crap, drink copious amounts of cheap booze, and end up flipping out. My dad saw me off at the airport for my 3 year trip and told me if I got into trouble with drugs to call him immediately. I rolled my eyes and said Dad, if I wanted a drug fuelled holiday I would have saved myself the airfare, stayed here, and atleast have a little bit of confidence in how that crap is made and what goes into it. Not to mention prisons over there. One of my brothers ended up in a prison in Athens. Sure as hell not 5 star accommodation.

I wouldnt be the least bit surprised, Scarlet. Young people go to places like thailand for their year out before going to university and break out. Buy whatever drugs they're offered for next to nothing, have absolutely no idea what goes into that crap, drink copious amounts of cheap booze, and end up flipping out. My dad saw me off at the airport for my 3 year trip and told me if I got into trouble with drugs to call him immediately. I rolled my eyes and said Dad, if I wanted a drug fuelled holiday I would have saved myself the airfare, stayed here, and atleast have a little bit of confidence in how that crap is made and what goes into it. Not to mention prisons over there. One of my brothers ended up in a prison in Athens. Sure as hell not 5 star accommodation.
Yikes

I was just thinking of that movie yesterday. Gut wrenching. Silly silly guy.

This is australia for any of you who want to come down this way. Record breaking heatwaves one week, this the next

Must have been a pack of drop bears.

I am SO excited about this trip. I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning!
Thank you for backing this campaign! You're part of a passionate community empowering entrepreneurs to bring their ideas to life.
Share the campaign with friends!

Done and done, Ms Aus