Your top 3 Video Games Of All Time

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
So hard narrowing it down to just 3 titles. I would need to list by generation to really list all my favorites. I will list 3 games I will always adore, let's say...one game from three different console generations. PC games are a different animal to me, so i will do a separate post for PC games later on.

Super Metroid

Atmospheric and immersive for its time, I played through this so many times. I fired it up on an emulator recently and it was still nostalgic and fun.

Final Fantasy X

Yes, everyone is going to list VII, so I will skip the PSOne and list X instead. Blittzball was bogus, but you only had to play it once, so it's a minor blemish on an otherwise great title. I will always remember the characters, and some of the brutal requirements for the ultimate weapons. This game reached a new level of storytelling for its time, and i spent a ridiculous amount of hours playing it.

Dark Souls

Still one of my favorite RPGs to date, the original Dark Souls has yet to be matched in brilliant world design, difficulty and atmosphere. This game invaded my life and didn't let go until I had completed it. One of my all time favorites, for sure.

I see love for Halo, and surprisingly even love for Kingdom Hearts, but NO XCOM???

Originally Posted by The Usual Suspect
5. Super Mario World
My first video game.

Maybe. It kinda blurs together with Link to the Past.

Originally Posted by Sedai
Yes, everyone is going to list VII, so I will skip the PSOne and list X instead. Blittzball was bogus, but you only had to play it once, so it's a minor blemish on an otherwise great title.
You weren't required to win that one game and all other Blitzball is optional. I really don't know why it got so much hate.

Originally Posted by Sedai
I will always remember the characters, and some of the brutal requirements for the ultimate weapons. This game reached a new level of storytelling for its time,
You know, before any of that, I think I'd cite the Conditional Turn-Based Battle System, which is the most robust battle system of any Final Fantasy game to date. It really crushes VII.

I upvoted Sedai for Dark Souls, but almost didn't because of his blasphemous comment towards Blitzball, arguably the greatest minigame ever. I logged over 100 hours on Blitzball alone, and didn't even bother to finish the main storyline.

Also other games I forgot to mention: The Matrix Online, Double Dragon, Mega Man 2&3, Metal Warriors.

3.) Halo: Reach

Counting multiplayer only, I've abandoned traditional military ranks and reached Legend status with 25205 kills in the bank. Traditional slayer matches are 4v4 up to 50 kills within 12 minutes meaning an average team player would earn 6.25 kills per match which are around 8 minutes long on average.

25205 kills / 6.25 kills per match = 4032.8 matches x 8 minutes = 32262.4 minutes / 60 minutes in an hour = 537+ hours

That beats out any other game I've played and that doesn't include Custom Games, Firefight, Arena, or Campaign (which counts my playtime in days).

Too many runner-ups to list.
Really? Reach is usually viewed as the worst Halo multiplayer-wise, and I kinda agree, I quit playing it after like the third month. It got wayyy too CallofDutyfied. The campaign was good though.

Final Fantasy X is my second favourite FF, but it is by far the easiest. I mean you can switch members out and get the same xp for every character, the only slightly difficult thing in between doing everything in the game easily is the ultimate weapons and the only one that slightly annoyed me was Kimhari's. This is very uneccessary as well because you can beat the hardest boss with two characters like i did.

The original Final Fantasy for the NES is my favorite, but 6 and 7 are the two besides the original that I have the most respect for. X would come after that.

Final Fantasy 7 had an incredible impact when it came out. I don't think X had anywhere close to that impact. And even just watching my brother play there was something about the game that was so unique and powerful. The story was deep and serious. X was a little flaky in it's character design and story.

My brother still plays his original save file from FF7, and he's still upgrading his characters. He soloed the last level with Cloud. There were so many secrets and things to unlock and upgrade. He found materia and other things that weren't in the strategy guide. I don't think X had as much depth.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
NES Top 3

These three aren't in ranked order, but these are my all time top 3 favorites for the NES Console

Mega Man 2

I could have probably picked any of the six from the franchise, but this one was probably my favorite due to the kickass bosses and it was my favorite one to beat Dr. Wily in. This franchise is just straight up awesome.

Tecmo Super Bowl

For sure the game that stole most of my time as a child. The Bills and the Giants were my jam and I won many a Super Bowls with these two teams. Just how good were Bo Jackson, Warren Moon, Bob Nelson, and Lawrence Taylor?

Super Mario 3

Sure Super Mario 1 steals the spotlight for its legendary gameplay, but this gameplay was even better. Turning Mario into a frog and a raccoon has always been the most fun way to play a Mario level. And the 8 levels that you go through in this game are just straight up great entertainment. Truly on a level of its own on this console.

Maybe I should add NHL 97 for the SNES. I played that game a lot. I used to make a team with all their stats at 40 so they'd be super slow and have horrible stamina and accuracy and everything just to make it challenging, and I'd still win by like 20 goals without even trying.

Originally Posted by False Writer
Really? Reach is usually viewed as the worst Halo multiplayer-wise, and I kinda agree, I quit playing it after like the third month. It got wayyy too CallofDutyfied.
You mean like... Halo 5? You'll have to be way more specific than that since Halo: Reach plays extraordinarily different than any Call of Duty game I've played.

I don't know who you're referring to when you say "usually viewed" save those people who indignantly refused to give up dual-wielding in Halo 3.

Honestly, comparing any Call of Duty to Halo: Reach seems like a joke to me since at it's core, Call of Duty has always leaned on it's twitch lethality whereas Halo, especially Reach, leans on a give-and-take metagame of timing and conditions.

Originally Posted by Zotis
Anyone who says any Halo besides the original in favor over the original, can't be trusted.
You know, after playing Halo as much as I have you begin to appreciate NOT getting spawncamped by snipers in Blood Gulch.

Originally Posted by Camo
Final Fantasy X is my second favourite FF, but it is by far the easiest. I mean you can switch members out and get the same xp for every character,
That makes grinding more convenient, but that doesn't account for everything I could describe as difficult so long as you AREN'T grinding.

Final Fantasy 7 had an incredible impact when it came out. I don't think X had anywhere close to that impact.
Initial impact is nice, but that pales next to accessibility, complexity, and longevity.

Most people say Bioshock 2 is crap compared to Bioshock 1 just because it treads the same ground, and yet Bioshock 2 is a massive improvement over the original in every respect that could conceivably matter EXCEPT initial impact.

That makes grinding more convenient, but that doesn't account for everything I could describe as difficult so long as you AREN'T grinding.
Grinding or not, if you use each character you can float through the early stages of the game, and well i don't think the game is difficult at all so whatever but if you want to beat the Aeons and Penance it is surprisingly easy to train the rest of your party up to your levels. The only thing that could stop you is having difficulty getting any of the ultimate weapons so you can't break limits with them, they are all ridiculously easy to get though, the only one i didn't get when i was a kid was Kihmari's. And i beat Penance as a kid using just two characters so getting all seven ultimate weapons is unnecesary.

Initial impact is nice, but that pales next to accessibility, complexity, and longevity.

Most people say Bioshock 2 is crap compared to Bioshock 1 just because it treads the same ground, and yet Bioshock 2 is a massive improvement over the original in every respect that could conceivably matter EXCEPT initial impact.
I think creating something that is actually unique is very hard to do. So I think you're undervaluing the importance of "initial impact" in that sense. They created an RPG that revolutionised not only the genre, but the way that video games were made. Anyone can take a game that already exists, improve the graphics and add some more features and appear to have made a better game. But to make a completely new game takes much more work and creativity.

In terms of complexity and longevity I would also say FF7 is vastly superior to FFX.

Oh, but when I was talking about Final Fantasy as a franchise, saying that the original was my favorite and then 6 and 7, and then finally X. I wasn't really including Tactics, because Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite by far.

It would be like:

1. Final Fantasy Tactics
5. Final Fantasy
7. Final Fantasy 6
8. Final Fantasy 7
10. Final Fantasy X

The first Final Fantasy above 7 and 10? Geez, i understand people not liking those two much but the first FF is pretty much the most dull thing i've ever played.

The first Final Fantasy above 7 and 10? Geez, i understand people not liking those two much but the first FF is pretty much the most dull thing i've ever played.
That's just because you're younger than me. I can understand your perspective looking back on the NES as a relic of the past. Your concept of video games wasn't shaped by the NES the way mine was, so it's probably hard for you to compare those games to the games that shaped your concept.

The original Final Fantasy was called Final Fantasy because it was the last game that they were going to make before going out of business. They didn't expect it to be successful. It was so successful that it turned their dying company into a leading competitor, and the giant that it is today is largely due to that original success. If you understand it in terms of the other RPGs that were around at the time, it was an incredible game. But if you compare Final Fantasy X to the RPGs of it's day, it was above average but not revolutionary. I think there is good ground to argue that Final Fantasy 6 and 7 are better games, but I personally enjoy the original more than them. I played through 6 once, but I could not get very far in 7 because I got bored. I think it's a great game, but it didn't appeal to me personally that much. The original Final Fantasy is a game that I've played through several times over the years and can still go back and play today and enjoy. I have no interest in playing 6 anymore, but in it's time it was great. Final Fantasy X is a game that I only played because at a certain point they didn't allow you to play Blitzball anymore until you got further in the game. Once I had access to it again I didn't bother progressing the story anymore. It just wasn't that interesting to me. The characters all sound like they're half asleep, and the game itself was incredibly easy as far as RPG's go. I never had to grind. I rushed through the game with no challenge. 6 was challenging and had a good story, that's why I liked it. But the original just had something about it aesthetically and mechanically that I really enjoyed.

Sorry, mate are you talking about Final Fantasy 4? Called Final Fantasy in the west because it was the first one realeased over here, if you are then that one isn't dull at all it is actually one of my favourites.

The first proper Final Fantasy as in the first one released in Japan was dull as hell though.

Originally Posted by Camo
Grinding or not, if you use each character you can float through the early stages of the game,
I would prefer the early stages be easier. It's why I like it when games introduce subtle changes to influence that such as Kingdom Heart 2 updating the Kingdom Key with Defender, or Bravely Second making Stand Ground the Freelancer's passive ability.

I think creating something that is actually unique is very hard to do. So I think you're undervaluing the importance of "initial impact" in that sense. They created an RPG that revolutionised not only the genre, but the way that video games were made. Anyone can take a game that already exists, improve the graphics and add some more features and appear to have made a better game. But to make a completely new game takes much more work and creativity.
I agree, however the thing is work and creativity do not translate directly into fun, or even a good game.

In terms of complexity and longevity I would also say FF7 is vastly superior to FFX.
Ignoring the infuriating minigames that FF7 forces you through, I still disagree. While the Materia system is great, the nature of the CTB system encourages you to plan out your turns well in advance which deepens strategy. Planning around turn frequency is less reliable in an ATB system where you can waste precious seconds merely considering your options. In this way I even prefer FFXII to FF7 because combat in FFXII is predominately dependent on preparation and adaption, rather than individual turn execution.

That every character begins on a specialized portion of the sphere grid and features uniquely valuable weapons and/or abilities also teaches and encourages you to play with traditional jobs without totally restricting you to them or making every character completely blank canvases (like FFXII).

I would prefer the early stages be easier.
It couldn't be any easier than it already is. I mean it really couldn't, you get big glowing something important is over here clues for the first quarter of the game at least.

Sorry, mate are you talking about Final Fantasy 4? Called Final Fantasy in the west because it was the first one realeased over here, if you are then that one isn't dull at all it is actually one of my favourites.

The first proper Final Fantasy as in the first one released in Japan was dull as hell though.
Now you're confusing me. Final Fantasy 4 was not the first Final Fantasy released in North America, nor was it ever called Final Fantasy. It's North American release was Final Fantasy II for the SNES, and Final Fantasy 6 was released as Final Fantasy III for the SNES in North America.

The original Final Fantasy I'm talking about is this one for the NES which was the first one ever made in Japan and the first one released in North America, and it was released in North America as Final Fantasy:

This is Final Fantasy 6 (A.K.A. Final Fantasy III in NA):

Now you're confusing me. Final Fantasy 4 was not the first Final Fantasy released in North America, nor was it ever called Final Fantasy. It's North American release was Final Fantasy II for the SNES, and Final Fantasy 6 was released as Final Fantasy III for the SNES in North America.

The original Final Fantasy I'm talking about is this one for the NES which was the first one ever made in Japan and the first one released in North America, and it was released in North America as Final Fantasy:

This is Final Fantasy 6 (A.K.A. Final Fantasy III in NA):
You are right, i'm completely wrong. No idea where i got that from. I still thought that Final Fantasy was really dull though, i played it for the NES obviously a lot of years later but i also played FF 4 and 6 years later and i really like them still.

I agree, however the thing is work and creativity do not translate directly into fun, or even a good game.

Ignoring the infuriating minigames that FF7 forces you through, I still disagree. While the Materia system is great, the nature of the CTB system encourages you to plan out your turns well in advance which deepens strategy. Planning around turn frequency is less reliable in an ATB system where you can waste precious seconds merely considering your options. In this way I even prefer FFXII to FF7 because combat in FFXII is predominately dependent on preparation and adaption, rather than individual turn execution.

That every character begins on a specialized portion of the sphere grid and features uniquely valuable weapons and/or abilities also teaches and encourages you to play with traditional jobs without totally restricting you to them or making every character completely blank canvases (like FFXII).
I think hard work and creativity do translate into a good game. I also think that "fun" is a little too subjective in this case. I mean clearly what you find fun and what I find fun are very different. My point of view is that if I think a game is well made with hard work and creativity then I try to appreciate that. I will even make an effort to try and learn to enjoy a game that I didn't initially enjoy if I think it's creators worked hard on it and were creative. I say that in a general sense though. I don't do it for every game that I think is well made. Through this process though, I have come to enjoy many games that I didn't particularly enjoy initially.

I thought the sphere grid in FFX was good. I liked the way characters improved gradually instead of just leveling up in chunks like most RPG's.

FFXII is predominantly dependent on putting your controller down, falling asleep, waking up and having won the battle. It was too easy, and the auto battle system was broken. But I never got very far because I was too bored. Also you could level up all your characters in every way and just have a whole party of tanky, high damage dealing, healing, buffing, mage/warriors with massive AOE spells and status disruption. Which is what I had before I moved on.