Your favourite American film that won the Palme d'Or at Cannes?

Tools    

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide

17 American films have been awarded Cannes' highest and most prestigious prize. I thought I'd make a thread putting them all together. What is your favourite and least-favourite American film that won the Palme d'Or? How many of these films have you seen? General thoughts/opinions.

Here is the list I put together:

Union Pacific (1939)

The Lost Weekend (1946)

Othello (1952)

Marty (1955)

Friendly Persuasion (1956)

MASH (1970)

Scarecrow (1973)

The Conversation (1974)

Taxi Driver (1976)

Apocalypse Now (1979)

All That Jazz (1980)

Sex, Lies, and Videotapes (1989)

Wild at Heart (1990)

Barton Fink (1991)

Pulp Fiction (1994)

Elephant (2003)

Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004)

The Tree of Life (2011)

This should be a fun thread to converse over. I'll share my thoughts in a seperate post.

A system of cells interlinked
Taxi Driver, for sure...but closely followed by Barton Fink, Pulp Fiction, and The Conversation.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Conversation is the best of those that I've seen, although Pulp Fiction, Taxi Driver and All That Jazz are all also good. Barton Fink's alright.

Sex, Lies and Videotape is rubbish. I really don't like MASH and I'm not a fan of Apocalypse Now or Tree of Life either.

The rest I haven't seen.

Edit: Forgot Wild At Heart. Oh how I wish I could forget Wild At Heart. Easily the worst film to win the Palme D'Or from any country.

I'd rank what I've seen like this-

1. Taxi Driver
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Apocalypse Now
4. Sex, Lies, and Videotape
5. Scarecrow*
6. Mash
7. Wild at Heart
8. Fahrenheit 9/11
9. The Conversation
10. Elephant

I know I've seen and liked Marty, but it's been too long.

I'm watching All That Jazz this week and Barton Fink by the end of the month. I have high hopes for both of them.

*I haven't seen Friendly Persuasion in so long, I'm not even gonna bother to rate it.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cannes American.jpg
Views:	1794
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	14532   Click image for larger version

Name:	cannes bottom.jpg
Views:	1733
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	14664  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've seen them all. Pulp Fiction is the best, followed by Friendly Persuasion. The worst would be Elephant, followed by Wild at Heart.

From what I've seen:

1. Pulp Fiction (1994)
2. Apocalypse Now (1979)
3. Taxi Driver (1976)

4. Barton Fink (1991)
5. All That Jazz (1980)
6. The Lost Weekend (1946)

7. MASH (1970)

8. Sex, Lies, and Videotapes (1989)

9. Wild at Heart (1990)
10. Marty (1955)

I've left some enters to group together the films that are practically on the same level for me. There's not a single one of these films that I didn't enjoy to some degree.

I may watch The Conversation tonight. That movie is an obligatory watch for the '70s list (or so it seems).

i don't know who to choose between Pulp Fiction and Taxi Driver .... i'm gonna go with Pulp Fiction .

1. Barton Fink
2. Taxi Driver
3. Pulp Fiction

4. Wild at Heart
5. Apocalypse Now
6. MASH
7. Sex, Lies, and Videotape

8. Marty

I like all of them apart from Marty, which I don't have much against, I just didn't enjoy it very much.

According to IMDb, Paris, Texas is a US co-production, and certainly is heavily concerned with ideas about America, so you could make the argument that that should be here. If it were, it would blow everything else out of the water, for me.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Tree of Life
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

1. Pulp Fiction
  2. Apocalypse Now
  3. Taxi Driver
  4. The Lost Weekend
  5. Barton Fink
  6. Marty
  7. Elephant
  8. Wild at Heart
  9. The Conversation
  10. The Tree of Life
  11. MASH

Pulp Fiction, Apocalypse Now, and Taxi Driver are three of my top five favorite movies of all time, so of course they rank at the top.

The Lost Weekend, despite its age, remains one of the most accurate portrayals of alcoholism that I've seen. Considering alcoholism runs in my family, it's a movie that I relate to quite a bit.

Barton Fink is one of my favorite Coen Brothers movie. Hilarious at times, but there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. Turturro and Goodman are excellent in it.

Marty is very good for what it is, but I'm a little surprised that it won the Palm d'Or. It was cool to see Ernest Borgnine get to play such a character, however, since he spent most of his career in supporting, and often villainous, roles.

I admire what Gus Van Sant set out to do in Elephant, and I think he succeeded, but it's not a movie I have much interest in re-visiting. Wild at Heart is entertaining, in large part because of Nicholson's Elvis impersonation, but it's one of my least favorites from Lynch. The Conversation I owe a re-watch, but I found it a bit dull, despite a very strong ending. The Tree of Life is pretty to look at, like all of Malick's movies, but I'm not a fan. MASH is overrated, in my opinion, and easily my least favorite of the movies I've seen from that list.

Taxi Driver is my favorite. Although I've seen Pulp Fiction the most times, as I went through the phase of watching it constantly during a few years there in the 90s. The Conversation and Barton Fink would be next. I did not like Elephant at all.

I've only watched seven. This is how i'd rank them.

1.Taxi Driver
2.Apocalypse Now
3.Pulp Fiction
4.Sex, Lies, and Videotapes
5.Fahrenheit 9/11
Marty
Elephant

The Tree of Life, the American epic experimental drama film starring Brad Pitt and Jessica Chastain. Mr. O'Brien was amazing. And a close second, 'Elephant'. I think that was in 2003, if I am not mistaken.

Must be doin sumthin right

Pulp Fiction

Barton Fink
Elephant
Taxi Driver

Apocalypse Now
The Conversation
The Tree of Life

All That Jazz
MASH

Wild at Heart

Scarecrow