Rank the works of Michael Mann

Tools    

Out of the films I've seen:

Heat
Manhunter
The Keep
Miami Vice
Collateral

It’s got better closing credits music than Silence but that’s it (and i love Manhunter).
I think in comparing the two we'd just end up coming to subjective things, but Manhunter absolutely has better Cinematography than Silence of the Lambs, at the very least. Most Lamb fans i've discussed this with usually concede that point even though they don't agree with much else.

I can't rank his movies. I LOVE Michael Mann. Especially his colour palettes. I can't even begin to be objective about him, and I admit it straight up. He was one of the first I noticed BIG time. the only thing I think he got wrong, ironically enough, was the film adaptation of Miami Vice. Apart from that one thing he did that didn't sit that well with me, he's been pure gold. For me, that is.

*deep sigh*

Ok so let me try. There's no way I can seriously pick a favourite, so I'll go in some kind of weird order:

Everyone's o nly picking 5? OK. Let me attempt this.

1. The Insider (jesus, that was perfect)
2. Heat
3. Manhunter (that blue palette really added to the mood)
4. Thief
5. The Last of the Mohicans

Edit: I had Straight Time as #5 but Camo pointed out he didn't direct it.

Lambs is an iconic film.
That means basically nothing. I mean you (like everyone) hate on plenty of "iconic films", doubt you'd accept that as an argument against one of your lesser revered favourites.

That means basically nothing. I mean you (like everyone) hate on plenty of "iconic films", doubt you'd accept that as an argument against one of your lesser revered favourites.
I kind of accepted what he said. I know what he means...I mean...the darkness is definitely DIFFERENT in both films. The darkness in Manhunter is a bit more subtle than the overt darkness of Silence of the Lambs.

I kind of accepted what he said. I know what he means...I mean...the darkness is definitely DIFFERENT in both films. The darkness in Manhunter is a bit more subtle than the overt darkness of Silence of the Lambs.
Think he was just saying more people know/like Lambs therefore it's better which is not much of an argument.

Think he was just saying more people know/like Lambs therefore it's better which is not much of an argument.
Well, it did get more attention/win accolades. So in that respect, he's right. I don't really take awards into account because it's all based on opinion. I often dont't agree with critics, or awards.

But I'm not exactly a pop kind of person. Automatically, my opinion almost doesn't count because of that.

I've not seen a one of his films. I just looked at them all, and some are highly rated, but mostly not the type of film that catches my eye. However I'm going to add these three to my watch list:

Public Enemies (2009)
Ali (2001)
The Last of the Mohicans (1992)

Well, it did get more attention/win accolades. So in that respect, he's right. I don't really take awards into account because it's all based on opinion. I often dont't agree with critics, or awards.

But I'm not exactly a pop kind of person. Automatically, my opinion almost doesn't count because of that.
Yeah that's why i said Lambs being iconic was a selective/meaningless argument. He wouldn't accept that argument for a film he doesn't like against one of his awardless favourites.

I get what you're saying, just clarifying what i meant by that.

Hopkins' iconic performance.
This is the thing that goes down most on every viewing for me, and i know plenty who think the same. In my experience it's very common for people to start out preferring Hopkins to Foster then switch as they see it more. Plus Hopkins is on screen for like ten minutes.

Off the topic of Manhunter for a second, but I always flip flop Heat and Thief as his best. Some days I prefer Heat, but today I'm saying that Thief was better by a hair. Thief is a lot darker than Heat, which I love.

This is the thing that goes down most on every viewing for me, and i know plenty who think the same. In my experience it's very common for people to start out preferring Hopkins to Foster then switch as they see it more. Plus Hopkins is on screen for like ten minutes.
A long time ago, I read an interview in which Hopkins said he freaked out his own wife by hanging out in Hannibal Lecter character. GIVE HIM EXTRA POINTS FOR THAT!

Off the topic of Manhunter for a second, but I always flip flop Heat and Thief as his best. Some days I prefer Heat, but today I'm saying that Thief was better by a hair. Thief is a lot darker than Heat, which I love.
Have to watch Heat again after i watched the North Hollywood Shootout it inspired:

A long time ago, I read an interview in which Hopkins said he freaked out his own wife by hanging out in Hannibal Lecter character. GIVE HIM EXTRA POINTS FOR THAT!
He gets points for his Breaking Bad article. Even though it's completely unrelated haha.

I wonder if he's on screen more than Brian Cox in Manhunter? I think he probably is given the bits where he's in the cage later in the film.

Bloody hell – I really need to watch Thief.

This might just do nobody any good.
For me it comes down to Silence’s Clarice vs Manhunter’s Will and Clarice’s journey (in the film), stepping out of the shadows of those who would use her, is the one I find much more engaging.

I’ll give Manhunter (and, by extent, Hannibal) this: Will Graham is kind of tricky to endear to an audience. It think it’d be easy to cross the line into silliness with him and Mann and Petersen do very good balancing job.

I still giggle at the “you sonnofab****” line.

Have to watch Heat again after i watched the North Hollywood Shootout it inspired:

He gets points for his Breaking Bad article. Even though it's completely unrelated haha.
I never read that article!

Also didn't hear of that shootout. So 2 new things for me.