The MoFo Top 100 Documentaries Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Indie Game: The Movie was good but was never close to making my list. I'm always up for a Herzog movie/doc so Little Dieter has been added to the watchlist.

Still only Spellbound for me so far.

Ed McMillen's regularly making games - The Binding of Isaac has been hugely lauded - but he's no longer working with Tommy, who doesn't seem to be working on anything. Tommy was the one guy I really liked.
My g/f loves that game and plays it a lot. Thanks for the info, Tacitus.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I love BoI too. McMillen seems like one of the good guys.

The Herzog is my fifth, had it in my thirteenth spot.

1. The Times of Harvey Milk (#85)
5. Burden of Dreams (#75)
13. Little Dieter Needs to Fly (#71)
16. Harlan County, USA (#76)
18. Brother’s Keeper (#78)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Indie Game was definitely on my list, and one of my favorite game documentaries. I loved the cross-slice of personalities and situations. Particularly in the way the movie portrays stress.

Blow spoke about the stress of making something personal and abstract, for it to grow incredibly popular, but to still feel like the message failed to connect.

Team Meat felt the desperate stress of pinning just about everything on one release, lovable weirdos that fully deserved a windfall.

Phil Fish is stress.

I also enjoyed Free To Play (on the list, but I highly doubt it made anyone else's unless there's dota fans on here) and The Smash Brothers (though more of a miniseries), but neither really captured a moment quite like Indie Game. The Minecraft doc was only aight, and I'm biased toward that one. The Starcraft doc was an albatross that flopped.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Haven't seen Indie Game although I think it's on Netflix so I might see it.

Little Dieter Needs to Fly was my #4. I watched this when it was nominated for a movie tournament (remember that thing we used to do before we did halls of fame? Yeah, that.) I think it was up against The Shawshank Redmption in the first round and won, so I hoped it would be on more lists and get higher up this countdown. Anyway, I wasn't sure what to expect but I really loved it, I found it an absolutely fascinating story told in a captivating way.

(Robert J. Flaherty, 1922)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0013427/

60 POINTS
3 LISTS

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Two more I didn't vote for but well-worth-seeing. Since I watched Indie Game yesterday, I've seen 32/32 and two on my list made it so far.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I saw West of Memphis a few months ago. The subject matter is as captivating as ever but it all felt a bit after the Lord Mayor's Show when seen in the context of the Paradise Lost films.

I love true crime stories, so I had West of Memphis at #13, the first from my list to make it.

Nanook of the North was the last movie I watched for this countdown, and I liked it.

Seen 5 so far.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
West of Memphis was my #19. I had a couple of issues with it but altogether it is a very well made documentary. I haven't seen the Paradise Lost films and I suppose I might like it less if I had.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Finally! one I've seen....West of Memphis

If you haven't seen That's Entertainment! (1, 2, and 3), you should definitely see all three of them. You should also watch That's Dancing! (Mark mentioned it here a few days ago), if you haven't seen that too. You'd like those.

Actually, you should just watch most of my list when it's revealed after the countdown. A lot of it is your kind of stuff.

...Actually, you should just watch most of my list when it's revealed after the countdown. A lot of it is your kind of stuff.
I might just have to do that. Sadly I lost my doc nom list. I'm not even sure what docs I nominated?

Much prefer the Paradise Lost films to West of Memphis. Hope Paradise Lost: Child Murders At Robin Hood Hills still makes it.

Haven't seen Nanook. I was actually planning to but i forgot.

Seen 10/30
My List: 1/25

How do people lose their lists, it's in your sent box!

Or I can just send it to you if you like.
Shortly after sending it to you, I cleared my inbox and sent box, as a few months earlier they had reached full capacity and I couldn't get PMs.

I would appreciate it if you could send it to me.