The Gnat's Top 100

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm a big fan of Lost Boys as well. The only gripe I had were that the Vamps were so easy to kill.

Suspect's Reviews

Lost in never never land
10. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang (2005)

Harmony:[naked in bed] You can sleep here if you want but it would only be sleeping, Harry... if thats gonna frustrate you.
Harry [pause]Let's see.
A very funny movie, has everything with sex, violence and an absurd plot , mainly I love it for the humor throughout, very biting and witty humor.

9. Mirrormask (2005)

Helena: If I tell you something weird... will you think I'm crazy?
Valentine: Yes, I expect so.
A well crafted fantasy world, very beautiful film. A little bit simple/childrenny, but that doesn't bother me at all and works well into the the story/beauty of the film.

8. Donnie Darko (2001)

Donnie: How can you do that?
Frank: I can do anything I want, and so can you.
A very complex film when it looks at reality, a fairly simple film in some ways with how it deals with it, the over-arching moral theme.

7. Serenity (2005)

Hoban "Wash" Washburn: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds: Define "interesting".
Hoban "Wash" Washburn: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?
A good movie for the show, great combination of sci-fi and western that it is.

6. Doctor Strangelove (1964)

President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
Brilliant commentary on what was going on, actually takes from real things that were going on (to some extent). Peter Sellers is great in this film.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

I knew you were gonna have Serenity on there somewhere I love that you have it so high, I take it then you also own the show to yes? Man I miss it, wish it was still on.

Lost in never never land
"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

I knew you were gonna have Serenity on there somewhere I love that you have it so high, I take it then you also own the show to yes? Man I miss it, wish it was still on.
Yup, I have the show. It is one of many travesties that FOX has committed when cancelling shows. Futurama and Arrested Development are two other notable ones.

Lost in never never land
5. A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Alex: There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence.
Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
A very interesting story which Kubrick brought to life brilliantly on the screen. Also extremely disturbing, both from the aspect of what the main character does and the aspect of what is done to the main character.

Lost in never never land
4. Primer (2004)

Abe: Aaron, I can imagine no way in which this thing could be considered anywhere remotely close to safe. All I know is I spent six hours in there and I'm still alive... You still want to do it?
Aaron: Look, Abe, look, I'm not going to pretend like I know anything, okay, about paradoxes, you know, or what follows them. And, honestly, I really don't believe in any of that group anyway, you know, kill your mom before you're born, whatever. It must work itself out, somehow.
Budget for the film was $6,000, and it is one of the best time travel films (if not these best) in my opinion. It doesn't dumb down time travel, or have the disappearing person issue or any those weird/funny problems typical to a time travel film. While it doesn't have the absurdly stylized shine that most Hollywood films do, it works because in a starker looking image, it comes across as more realistic time travel.

I have added more to my bigpond movies to see thanks

Lost in never never land
3. American Beauty (1999)

Carolyn Burnham: Uh, Buddy, this is my...
Lester Burnham: Her husband. We've met before, but something tells me you're going to remember me this time.
Lester Burnham: [narrating] Both my wife and daughter think I'm this gigantic loser and they're right, I have lost something. I'm not exactly sure what it is but I know I didn't always feel this... sedated. But you know what? It's never too late to get it back.
A very well done film. The story is very good in the film, and the acting by Spacey is very memorable.

Lost in never never land
2. The Virgin Suicides (1999)

Narrator: So much has been said about the girls over the years. But we have never found an answer. It didn't matter in the end how old they had been, or that they were girls... but only that we had loved them... and that they hadn't heard us calling... still do not hear us calling them from out of those rooms... where they went to be alone for all time... and where we will never find the pieces to put them back together.
Doctor: What are you doing here, honey? You're not even old enough to know how bad life gets.
Cecilia: Obviously, Doctor, you've never been a 13-year-old girl.
A very good adaptation of the book. Sophia Coppola does a good job of keeping the same feeling as the book. Also, this film is visually very good. There is one shot that is a little odd, but not terrible, but like most of her, Sophia Coppola's, films, she does a veyr good job with it visually.

Lost in never never land
1. Finding Neverland (2004)

Michael Llewelyn Davies: Excuse me, sir, you're standing on my sleeve.
J.M. Barrie: [moves his foot and looks down to face Michael] Am I? So sorry. I might point out you're lying under my bench.

J.M. Barrie: Young boys should never be sent to bed... they always wake up a day older.
George Llewelyn Davies: [as Prince George, to J.M. Barrie] This is Jack. Second in line to the throne. And that one's Michael. He's only five.
Michael Llewelyn Davies: And I'm in prison for it.
My favorite film of all time. I like the story in this film, it is fairly simple and nothing profound on the basic level, in fact some people look at it suspectly because J.M. Barrie basically leaves his wife to start hanging out with another woman, but there is more to this film then that. This film has to do so much with growing up (or not growing up), and the whole point of the film is showing J.M. Barie's character's progression towards a balance of those two things. Also, this film was the film that got me back into writing/film, because it is really inspiring, typically the "adult world" tries to force people as they grow up into doing the responsible thing, but this film shows someone who is doing what he loves, and while he is considered odd for that, it really becomes what is good in the film, in the people in the film.

An interesting number one Gnat. I like it a lot too, very emotional and heartbreaking at the end. Johnny Depp is good in the film as he downplays Barrie which gives the stage to the boys and thus creates something very magical.

If you're interested in Barrie and the Llewelyn Davies family as well as their portrayal in the film, I'd recommend reading Andrew Birkin's book JM Barrie and the Lost Boys http://www.amazon.com/J-M-Barrie-Los...0154193&sr=1-1

Lost in never never land
An interesting number one Gnat. I like it a lot too, very emotional and heartbreaking at the end. Johnny Depp is good in the film as he downplays Barrie which gives the stage to the boys and thus creates something very magical.

If you're interested in Barrie and the Llewelyn Davies family as well as their portrayal in the film, I'd recommend reading Andrew Birkin's book JM Barrie and the Lost Boys http://www.amazon.com/J-M-Barrie-Los...0154193&sr=1-1
I will have to check that out. I heard about the book after seeing the movie, but I didn't get around to reading it then, or couldn't get my hands on it, one of the two.

I knew you were a big softy just like me Gnat, great job!

Great list Gnat... and awesome number one... you may have just helped me decide which movie I want to watch... thanks for sharing...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Lost in never never land
Well, I did this list a week ago and came up with the list more then that ago, and already I probably would change some things adding both Juno and Stardust to the list, don't know what I would bump, but I saw both of those after I had created my list, and I enjoyed both of those enough to put them on the list.

I loved Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and it's cool seeing it so high on your list. That's one movie that I think I would watch enough to justify buying.

ADMIN NOTE: edited. Do not quote a huge post just to reply to one part of it. Quote the relevant part.

97. Lost in Translation (2003)

Sophia Coppola, in my opinion, always makes films that are visually pleasing, and this one also has a solid story to it and a good performance by Bill Murray.
Have never understood all the fuss over Lost in Translation.