A Sci-Fi mini-series that is hailed as "a bold reimagining" of The Wizard of Oz. It is a three part mini-series that had its first part air on Sunday and third on Tuesday evening. I haven't seen the last two, but I have seen part one.

I must say that I am pretty impressed by it, like The Lost Room Sci-Fi didn't skimp on special effects, acting, or story in it (like they do on all of their made for TV movies). And it turned out quite nicely like The Lost Room did, at least what I have seen of it, it has turned out nicely.

It takes, from The Wizard of Oz, various characters, such as DG (Dorothy), Glitch (Scarecrow), Cain (Tin Man), Raw (Cowardly Lion), Azkadellia (Wicked Witch of the West), Mystic Man (Wizard), etc., however, that is about where the resemblances stop. It isn't the brightly colored world of The Wizard of Oz that is shown in the colorized film version, but instead, while being visually strong, a much more real feeling place, with Central City (The Emerald City) having a much harsher feel to it, yet still a fantasy feel to it.

The story starts out with DG, played by Zooey Daschanel, with her family in the real world. She is minding her own business, but having dreams about a woman with lavender eyes, who warns her of a coming storm. Mean while, in the O.Z. (outer zone) Azkadellia is looking for an emerald, and uses a seer to find out about a "light", DG that is going to be coming to the O.Z. She sends some Longcoats (personal guard/police) to eliminate that light, and they arrive to the real world by means for a tornado, transport storm. DG and her family get swept up in it, into the O.Z. From there she embarks upon her quest to figure out who the lady with lavender eyes is and why Azkadellia wanted to eliminate her.

It is a fairly basic good versus evil story, but with the characters being interesting and the story, for being basic, being well constructed, it was interesting to watch at least the first part. There is a lot of strong acting, in particular from the supporting roles of Glitch (Alan Cunningham) and Cain, but Zooey Daschanel does a good job playing her role, albeit a little odd in how it is played, because she is set up to be someone who is disenfranchised with the real world, and she carries that angst over into the O.Z., which works with her character, but seems counter-intuitive with how one would normally expect someone to react in that situation.

Overall, I was a fan of part one, I thought that it did a good job with the story and setting everything up for the later parts, but not only focusing on the set up, but it had something occur in the story itself. I would recommended it as an interesting fantasy story and something actually very solid that the Sci-Fi channel is putting out, unlike a lot of their (if not all of their) lousy Sci-Fi channel original movies.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity