Vampire Movies

Tools    

Originally Posted by Tragiccity619
Thanks for the suggestion!
It really is a fantastic movie on so many levels.

Anchor Bay released a deluxe edition that has plenty of great extras. Lance Henriksen is such a freak, and there is even a tinge of tragedy in the complete dissociation of one of the cast members from the movies and the rest of society.

So far Kathryn Bigelow's crowning achievement. Strange Days is a very close second.
"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know. I don't think there's anything man wasn't meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn't do." -David Cronenberg

Stephen King's Salem's Lot was one movie that I first saw when I was about 14. It might seem "soft" by today's standards but it sure left its mark on me

I'd probably be cautious watchin it all by myself even today... especially after nightfall.
"The ultimate dream adventure awaiting humanity..."

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I just rewatched The Lost Boys and it's weathered the years well. Some of the hair is a bit baroque, but that works for vampires. The humor in it works well with some scary moments.

Should I call you Logan, Weapon X?
Scream Blackula Scream.

On another note. What vampire movie am I thinking of? I remember there is guy stuck down a hole with a load of female vampires there aswell. He somehow manages to write a letter back to his wife/girlfriend saying that everytime he tries to escape the female vampires suck his blood till he is too weak to climb.

Been driving me crazy this one.

Cheers

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Stephen King's Salem's Lot was one movie that I first saw when I was about 14. It might seem "soft" by today's standards but it sure left its mark on me

I'd probably be cautious watchin it all by myself even today... especially after nightfall.
The levitating tapping on the window vampire scared the crap out of me when I was an adolescent. It was years before I read or watched any other Stephen King stuff.

*shivers*

Recently, I watched the original and the newer version with my kids. It wasn't the same. Of course they grew up on Godzilla and Starship Troopers while I grew up on Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

I remember when the most shockingly violent film I'd ever seen was Walking Tall.

I remember when the most shockingly violent film I'd ever seen was Walking Tall.

Dang , then this would have scared the crap outta ya!!!:
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	wt.gif
Views:	130
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	5817  

I'll go on record and say the 90's was the most impressive decade for vampires in film, see below:

Blood & Donuts (1995)
From Dusk 'Til Dawn (1996)
Habit (1996)
The Addiction (1995)
Nadja (1995)
Interview With The Vampire (1994)
Darkness: The Vampire Version (1993)
Two Orphan Vampires (1996)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
Innocent Blood (1992)
Dracula Rising (1992)
Blade (1998)
John Carpenter's Vampires (1999)
Def by Temptation (1990)

My childhood favourites:

The Hunger (1983)
Fright Night (1985)
Martin (1978)
Salem's Lot (1979)
Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)

For a more erotic look at vampires:

Female Vampire (1973)
Vampyros Lesbos (1971)
Rape of the Vampire (1968)
The Vampire Lovers (1970)
Lust for a Vampire (1971)
Shivers of the Vampires (1970)
Requiem for a Vampire (1971)

Horrorphiliac

Dang , then this would have scared the crap outta ya!!!:
It surely did. Walking Tall was so very violent I couldn't believe it.

Salem's Lot was very scary in that one levitation scene. The new version sucks pretty badly in comparison to the original. No big surprise there is it?

Oh and so did The Birds! *shivers*

Fright Night is one of my fav vamp movies btw. Someone just mentioned it. It's a great yet funny vamp story.

The Hunger is one I re-watched recently with my daughter. I know a lot of people like it. There is a saying in writing don't tell, show. That can be taken too far especially in movies which is mostly a visual medium.

While this movie has some beautiful scenes and some truly ugly ones, it doesn't adequately tell or show us the story IMO. Lesbian sex, David Bowie, and Catherine Deneuve can't even save it for me, though both certainly help.

Catherine does not and never will look remotely Egyptian either.

I love the style of the pictures. I dislike a lot of the sound effects. I really dislike the monkeys as well. Most of all I dislike the lack of cohesive story here.

Took a course on Vampires on Film, it was a great course and gave me time to see some good movies.
Can't link to the course info but here are some of the movies we watched:

Murnau, Nosferatu (1922)
Browning, Dracula (1931)
Fisher, Dracula (1958)
Badham, Dracula (1979)
Coppola, Dracula (1992)
Jordan, Interview with the Vampire (1994)
Holland, Fright Night (1985)
Shumacher, The Lost Boys (1987)
Norrington, Blade (1998)
Merhige, Shadow of the Vampire (2000)

What a cool course to take! I'm not fond of any Dracula stuff but I love good vampire books and movies.

Interview was good for me, so was Fright Night.

The Lost Boys and Blade were okay.

I couldn't finish Shadow. *yawn*

The Coppola and Badham Dracula's were also just okay for me.

The problem for me with Dracula is that I didn't like or care about anyone in the story, that's an instant turn off for me. I must have at least one character I am invested in for a story to work.

I approach books and movies from the perspective of wanting a good story. So many don't quite live up to that for me. Good stories have a good beginning, middle and end. They have characters I either pull for or like, at least one,

What about Blood, A Butcher's Tale?

Oh wait, it's not out yet

Almost like a play...eh?
*L*

Right. Also like a book, a short story, a movie, a life, a song, all of these and more are stories. I'm very into stories.

If you really like the Vampire genre, I recommend both the "Angel" and "Buffy the Vampyre Slayer" television series. They are very entertaining and are totally original takes on the Vampire mythos.
Oh your right! both Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a great movie...I love their story it's amazing...

Beware The Probe!
Oh your right! both Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a great movie...I love their story it's amazing...
I hated the Buffy movie years ago but the series and it's Angel spin-off kicked all kinds of @$$.
Definately the best vampire series ever on TV but my absolute favorite vampire movie will always be Lost Boys.
I have a strong feeling Lost Boys 2 will not be near as good but according to a newspaper I read the other day, Corey Feldman and Jason Patric are supposed to reprise their rolls and Corey Feldman may yet still sign up as well. I'll be quite pleasantly surprised if this is done really well but I just have a bad feeling about it.

Blade & Underworld rank up there too on my favorites list and, and From Dusk til Dawn, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Interview With a Vampire, and John Carpenter's Vampires round out my list.

Dracula: Dead & Loving it wins hands down as funniest vamp movie ever to me.
I almost died laughing first time I saw the Harvey Korman scene with Renfield over morning tea: "What was that? I saw you put something in your mouth. I-I-I believe it was a spider!"

From what I own, these are my "for now" top ten . . . * kind of in this order*

Fright Night
Near Dark
Dracula (1979)
Dracula (1931)
John Carpenter's Vampires
Love at First Bite
The Lost Boys
Salem's Lot
Night Flier
Dracula Dead and Loving It

This is the rest of what I own . . .

Fright Night 2
Once Bitten
Taste the Blood of Dracula
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Blade Trilogy
Dracula - The Legacy Collection (Dracula / Dracula (1931 Spanish Version) / Dracula's Daughter / Son of Dracula / House of Dracula)

I usually always start buying horror movies at the start of September. I am purchasing these next . . .

Nosferatu (1922), Shadow of the Vampire (2000), Horror of Dracula (1958), and Nosferatu (1979). My top ten will change after these have been viewed.

After reading through these lists, this one sounds really interesting . . . Lair of the White Worm (1988). It is now in my cart as well.
Now, is it just me, or is it hard picturing Jack Palance as a Vampire? I love the man to death, but I'm not too sure about this one.
They show a trailer for Vampire's Kiss (1989), with Nicholas Cage, before another one of my movies. I have been ignoring that movie for forever. I'm not sure I will like it. I may give it a try sometime later. It will have to be cheaply priced, though. Watch, I'll end up loving it.

I love vampire movies.
First off, avoid Van Helsing at all costs. Pure dreck.

There have been a lot of comments here on The Lost Boys. Man I love the first two acts of that movie! Just great, great stuff. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the finale. The term "train wreck" comes to mind. Even so, it's worth seeing for the first two thirds alone.

Near Dark and Fright Night are both excellent. And although it's flawed, I still like From Dusk Til Dawn a lot. (Part of that comes from my memory of the first time I saw it. I went into the theater knowing nothing about it, and was just blown away when the vampires appeared).

The original Dracula and Coppola's version are both very good.

And I don't care what anybody else says; I really like Shadow of the Vampire. I think it's funny as hell.

One that I really enjoyed recently is Guy Maddin's Dracula: Pages From a Virgin's Diary. This is the weirdest version of Dracula that I've seen so far, it's a film of a ballet, all of the dialog and narration is text like a silent movie, and has some fantastically weird sets and editing.