Vampire Movies

Tools    

Jhon Carpenter Vampires was exellent

oh lost boys and from dusk til dawn awsome!!

In Heaven Everything Is Fine
Nosferatu the Vampyre is my favorite of the genre. It has this genuinely creepy atmosphere which Herzog balances out with some beautiful exterior shots. The recreation of memorable scenes from the original like the first dinner when Hutter cuts his finger and later when the Count stalks into his house guest's room without invitation are perfect. Better in this version that in the original, in my opinion. Some of the later scenes in the film where plague ridden rats are running rampant throughout a city without hope are down right depressing and chilling, but that's exactly what should be got out of a good vampire movie. Herzog also made a good choice with the inclusion of Wagner's Das Rheingold into the film.

Herzog, who also wrote the script, and Klaus Kinski add a layer to the Count that wasn't present in the original, vulnerability. It is obvious in this version that Orlock lives a tortured life and is much weaker than he appears. In this version he craves more than blood. He craves for someone to love him. Something that hasn't happened in his many lifetimes of being. Yeah, pretty darn good flick.

A system of cells interlinked
Good post. I will have to scope this film out as soon as I can get my hands on it...

I must agree, Nosferatu is great along with Shadow of the Vampire. Vampire films such as Fright Night and Lost Boys are great fun and should definitely be considered. John Carpenter's Vampires and From Dusk Til' Dawn are full of fun and plenty on the blood count. Watch some of the older Dracula movies most of these posts are suggesting as well, you can't be disappointed in them. Also, this is completely uncharacteristic to the rest of the post, but I must say that I enjoyed Blade II quite a bit more than the original Blade. I know many here say that the original is always the best, but I believe in this case that Blade II accomplished what its predecessor did not. Enjoy!
"It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages." -Adam Smith "Wealth of Nations"

porkchop sandwiches

you must see Night Watch and Day Watch...

Lost Boys is also one of my favs

I loved Nosferatu - I laughed til I cried (much to my sons disgust)- a great movie nonetheless

The best vampire movie made has to be Dracula, of course....but Salem's Lot by Stephen King was also not bad.

Originally Posted by juno101
you must see Night Watch and Day Watch...
Russians did it this time both movies were great

Copola's Dracula was good and in recent years Underworld made a preatty good impression(maybe because of Kate Beckinsale wearing a black latex suit) but still the movies have style no doubt

Dark Shadows the old black and white t.v. series that they put on dvd, are awsome. Also The Blood Stone series by Full Moon production's are good too.

i love from dusk till dawn very funny movie

Originally Posted by Princess j.t.
Interview With The Vampire.
I watched this after reading the book and I thought the whole film was laughable. The only good thing was Antonio Banderas and Kirsten Dunst, who played their characters to a tee. Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise were pathetic vampires.

Do yourself a favour, skip the movie and read the book. Its a fantastic book, but if you don't like homo erotic undertones, then don't read it (Louis and Armand are totally lovers in the book, although she never says it).

The movie removed all the wonderful depth that the characters had, and that attraction they felt to one another. I mean, they kinda made Tom Cruise's character a bit odd, but not sensual like the book. It was the 90s when it was made, so I guess they couldn't really put it in.

Read the book, then watch the movie for a good laugh.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I'm not sure I buy the "they were lovers" bit. Anne Rice is clear that vampires don't really have sexual urges the way we do, so "lovers" gives the wrong connotation.

Her books put you into a totally different world, where the senses are everything, and they're different. Sensuality is its own reward to the vampires (especially Lestat), but on a whole other plane than we can identify with. I think because so many of the vampires are male makes us mere mortals think she must mean homoerotic undertones.

I've never seen her books that way. Just rich, lush, and a bit androgynous because of the lack of sex per se in their lifestyles.

I too adored Dunst and Banderas in their roles -- didn't really "know" either of them well before seeing this movie, and I was captivated by them both. I think Pitt was as good as he could be, given the fact that he was forced to have to play off Cruise ... possibly the worst vampire ever. Rice hated him as a choice for Lestat. The Lestat of some of the later movies would have been a better choice. Cruise was just too silly. Not nearly deep enough for Lestat's complex character.

I saw the movie first, and then read the book. I then hopped to the next three or four in Rice's vampire series. (I'm currently somewhere in Memnock the Devil but put it down for other things.) Rice knows her own worlds so well that her books are always a treat -- good "curling up with a good book" fodder for me on weekend afternoons or late at night.

The movies haven't lived up to her books. Kinda the same feeling I have with most Stephen King horror novels when made into movies.

Yes, i like Vampire films, too, one of my favourites is "Interview ith a Vampire". Especially because of Brad Pitt

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Loved Lost Boys

I am quite the vampire groupie. My favorite vampire movies of all time are Interview with the Vampire and The Lost Boys. I enjoyed the Blade trilogy as a whole with the first film being my favorite. Queen of the Damned was decent, it had so much potential. From Dusk Till Dawn is fun if you're looking for that type of movie. Vampires by John Carpenter was awful in my opinion. Underworld was excellent, the sequel was okay. I think anyone who hasn't seen The Lost Boys should see it as soon as they can, I can't sing enough praise for it.

Originally Posted by Tragiccity619
I am quite the vampire groupie. My favorite vampire movies of all time are Interview with the Vampire and The Lost Boys. I enjoyed the Blade trilogy as a whole with the first film being my favorite. Queen of the Damned was decent, it had so much potential. From Dusk Till Dawn is fun if you're looking for that type of movie. Vampires by John Carpenter was awful in my opinion. Underworld was excellent, the sequel was okay. I think anyone who hasn't seen The Lost Boys should see it as soon as they can, I can't sing enough praise for it.
I agree with Holden here wholeheartedly

I have three words for you...

see "Near Dark"...

'nuff said
"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know. I don't think there's anything man wasn't meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn't do." -David Cronenberg

Thanks for the suggestion!

Originally Posted by The Gnat
Okay, I skipped watching those two since the third one was so bad. However, if those are better (since the third one did have potential which it failed to meet up to miserably), I will have to check them out.
How can you watch a part 3 of a series FIRST, and judge by that?
Note: Dont judge The Godfather series by part 3.